Russel Wilson proves that we should draft another QB in this draft | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Russel Wilson proves that we should draft another QB in this draft

No. People always think that these running QBs are here to stay and dominate the league.

Once film cycles they'll figure out how to stop Wilson, RGIII and future running QBs. It's what happened to Cam Newton this season. Guys get enough film on a QB and things change. Typically the running QB relies too much on his legs to make adjustments and that just doesn't happen.

Mike Vick is probably the greatest dual threat QB of all-time and that's saying something.

You're wrong about Wilson, he'll be a top 5 QB someday. He uses his legs more like Roethlisberger or Romo does to extend plays to throw it rather than just run for yards. Ironically, I believe his short stocky build will help keep him healthy.

As for OP's point QBs should always be part of your draft board and you shouldn't pass on one if you believe you're getting extreme good value. And competition in camp can't ever be a bad thing.

You're wrong about Wilson, he'll be a top 5 QB someday. He uses his legs more like Roethlisberger or Romo does to extend plays to throw it rather than just run for yards. Ironically, I believe his short stocky build will help keep him healthy.
He has to learn to slide as him going for extra yards will catch up to him quick.

To just call Russell Wilson a running QB does him a huge disservice and isn't true at all. He is going to be a top QB in this league for a very, very long time. Geno Smith is tremendously more accurate than Pat White to the point that it obliterates any comparison. There are some real reaches in this thread.

As for addressing the QB position continuously, I'm all for it. The desperate way some teams go all in on single QB prospects usually ends in disaster and several wasted years. If a Russell Wilson slips to you, take a chance and see if he'll outperform your current starter. As much as I dislike the desperate way Gruden handled the QB position in Tampa where he just collected a bunch of scrubs and prayed one worked out, it's entirely different when you're bringing in talent you believe in and let the best QB win.

I can't predict what will happen with Moore, I can't think of any team that would name him the starter out right but there are probably 3 or 4 teams where he would have the opportunity to compete. No matter where he goes he'll likely be paid as a backup so it'll be totally up to him if he believes he can go to a Minnesota or wherever and win the starter job, if he goes I don't think money will be a factor at all.

Like Moore as the backup but he will go elsewhere with the delusion he is an nfl starting qb. I hope he comes to relization and stays here but there are other qb's out there and im not sure our staff is as fond as many fans are. They did everything to make sure he wasnt our starter.

Bingo! Where is he going esp in the age of starting rooks out of College

You seriously don't have a clue as to what you are talking about here. My guess is you probably haven't even watched him play. Do you actually think Green Bay was surprised by Kaepernick's abilities yesterday? Kaepernick ran the pistol for 4 years under the tutelage of Chris Ault in college who invented it which employed the read-option. Between that film and what he has done in SF teams have plenty of film on him. All the Packers had to do was watch the 80 yard TD Kaepernick ran this preseason that looked identical to his TD last night other than the yardage. They knew what was coming. They just couldn't stop it.

If you had a clue you would also see that Kaepernick has one of the best arms in the NFL. The Cubs drafted him as a pitcher after being clocked at 93mph. He could be a top 5 QB as a pocket passer. Besides arm strength he has pin-point accuracy. He is elusive in the pocket and is already the best QB in the world at throwing on the run. The running makes him that much more dangerous which he has been timed at 4.43. But the most impressive thing is his leadership, intelligence and poise. Hell, as a freshman he almost single-handed put up 67 points against Boise St.

Go back and watch 3 passes last night. One is the 44 yard pass to Vernon Davis and watch the location of the football as it dropped in over Vernon's shoulder. The other two are the TD passes to Crabtree. The way he leads his WRs with pin-point accuracy is unbelievable. Crabtree didn't not have to shift his momentum one inch in order to catch those passes. I challenge you to go back and find three passes "all year" that Tannehill threw better.

Kaepernick is gifted, so I'm with you on your post. I don't know why anyone would want to be down on him at this point. He has only done good and has been a true athlete in his life. I also think it is weird that someone would say he is playing next week because Green Bay sucks and only has A Rogers as a weapon. Good thing we are building Green Bay south then! Great weekend of football this weekend. Glad you enjoyed watching great NFL games and can respect the teams playing. I think if someone can appreciate talent and other teams it makes them a more interesting fan, to me. God I hope the Dolphins can get it together next year so people can stop pissing in the wind. What I appreciate the most about Kaepernick is the 49ers traded up for him, which means they liked him and had confidence. I also like the Redskins trading up for RG3. Sure would be nice to see that kind of fan inspiring moves in Miami. Lets see how it plays out. Thanks for your post.

Well if we traded Jake Long , Mike Pouncey, Jared odrick and 2 firsts we might get him lol

Or if we drafted POS Brady Quinn like you wanted, it would be academic cause squandering a pick that high would compel the regime to play the hand out at least for a year or two before garbage-canning him like Cleveland and Denver had, and very likely KC, the worst team in the league likely will have done.

It's incredible all the excuses the Ryan obsessers made the last 3 playoff bed-****tings including a big goose egg last year - yet conveniently overlook today's near meltdown if not for the great Tony Gonzalez.

Finally, he did reasonably well - at least for awhile, until he again seemed to remember that it was a game that mattered with his last pivotal interception conceding a 20 pt lead to a team that traveled over 6000 miles in 6 days, played at 10AM pacific time and lost their best defender to injury - before obviously gaining amnesia.

You know, maybe or maybe not Ryan with his 1 out of 4 instant death post season wins would/should have been the ticket in 08 but definitely a better choice would have been Joe "he's got the knack-o" Flacco who actually traveled the other way playing in one of the toughest home stadiums in Denver in the sub zero weather creating another miracle. Correct me if I'm wrong, but last I looked he's made the playoffs all 5 years, had his team finished 1st the last 3 seasons in a more competitive division mostly without the caliber of weapons like Gonzalez, White, Julio Jones, etc, including a playoff record of 7-4.

So far Matty "Almost Melted Again" Ryan is batting .250 in the playoffs while "He's Got A Knacko" Flacco is batting .640 in his playoff appearances. Long way of saying, if the Fins would have traded up - or down they could have jumped in front of the deal at 17 the Ravens made and had a QB that proved again in spades, doesn't fade when the lights are brightest. Incidentally, didn't realize it until today but Peyton Manning has also gone "one and out" in 8 playoffs now, so again, it's great to look good during the season, but another thing to carry that over into the postseason.

Green Bay was one of the worst teams in the playoffs.

They seriously have next to nothing. No running game to speak of. No defense whatsoever.

All they have is Aaron Rodgers. It's just not enough and as a result, it's not difficult to at least limit the Packers passing attack.
:bobdole:

Since January of 2011 Green Bay has won a Super Bowl, finished 15-1 last year, finished 11-5 this year (including the Seattle loss and won a playoff game) in the only division that had 3 teams with 10+ wins while Rodgers set the all-time single season QB rating record last year and led the league in passer rating for the second year in a row this year. GB did win 9 of their last 11 games heading into the playoffs. You believe Rodgers has done all this by himself since GB has next to nothing, no running game or defense whatsoever. You must truly think all these posters that claim Tannehill's problem is he has next to nothing are truly full of sh#! and agree with the OP Miami needs to draft a QB. How couldn't you? Especially considering Miami has had a decent running game and RB in Bush.

However, Green Bay does have this little known player on defense named Clay Matthews. There "no defense whatsoever" actually finished ranked 11th in the NFL (Miami ranked 21st) playing in a division that has Adrian Peterson (1st in rushing), Calvin Johnson (all-time single season in yards) and Brandon Marshall (#3 in receiving yards). That "no defense whatsoever" ranked #4 in the NFL in opposing teams QB rating at 76.8 (Miami was 13th at 83.4). That "no defense whatsoever" also ranked #11 in the NFL in giving up 21.0 ppg and held Minnesota to 10 last week.

That is the defense the Kaepernick led 49ers put up 45 points on last night which is the most points GB gave up all year, rushed for 181 yards, threw for 263, scored 2 TDs and passed for 2 more. Not bad considering GB held their opponents to 20 or under in 11 games this year (Miami only did 8 times).

We should draft a QB every year in the middle rounds. They can be valuable in the long run and sometimes teams get lucky...think Brady.

:bobdole:

Since January of 2011 Green Bay has won a Super Bowl, finished 15-1 last year, finished 11-5 this year (including the Seattle loss and won a playoff game) in the only division that had 3 teams with 10+ wins while Rodgers set the all-time single season QB rating record last year and led the league in passer rating for the second year in a row this year. GB did win 9 of their last 11 games heading into the playoffs. You believe Rodgers has done all this by himself since GB has next to nothing, no running game or defense whatsoever. You must truly think all these posters that claim Tannehill's problem is he has next to nothing are truly full of sh#! and agree with the OP Miami needs to draft a QB. How couldn't you? Especially considering Miami has had a decent running game and RB in Bush.

However, Green Bay does have this little known player on defense named Clay Matthews. There "no defense whatsoever" actually finished ranked 11th in the NFL (Miami ranked 21st) playing in a division that has Adrian Peterson (1st in rushing), Calvin Johnson (all-time single season in yards) and Brandon Marshall (#3 in receiving yards). That "no defense whatsoever" ranked #4 in the NFL in opposing teams QB rating at 76.8 (Miami was 13th at 83.4). That "no defense whatsoever" also ranked #11 in the NFL in giving up 21.0 ppg and held Minnesota to 10 last week.

That is the defense the Kaepernick led 49ers put up 45 points on last night which is the most points GB gave up all year, rushed for 181 yards, threw for 263, scored 2 TDs and passed for 2 more. Not bad considering GB held their opponents to 20 or under in 11 games this year (Miami only did 8 times).

Home field advantage means everything in the playoffs. SF is a great team and they just hammered GB. If the game were to be played in GB, the result might have been different.
GB had no answer for Kapernick because they had to respect SF running and passing game.The guy just ran free.

Last spring I remember linking to an article that rated the draft eligible quarterbacks based on a mathematical criteria. They had the standard guys on top, with a paragraph or two of summary. Then there's a strange asterisk. They announce that Russell Wilson actually had their highest grade of all, and one of the highest numbers their formula had ever spit out, but they subjectively were dismissing it because Wilson is too short.

I'd be careful in assuming the running quarterbacks are a fad. The read option is a different ball game in that it designs one-on-one situations with plenty of open space. Michael Vick enjoyed nothing like that. He free lanced and got belted from every angle. If you've got the right type of guy -- either big and strong enough to take a hit like Cam Newton or Colin Kaepernick or Terrelle Pryor (not that he can pass), or clever and agile enough to avoid hits like Russell Wilson -- that style can stick around and thrive. Robert Griffin's problem is he simply can't sense and avoid a hit if he's running at less than full speed.

If anything, the new offenses are still figuring out various wrinkles. Seattle was much more confident and further advanced today than when we faced them.

Besides, colleges are producing athletic quarterbacks by the boat load. Not every one of them will flop. No doubt some of them will now be over valued. Danger Will Robinson. He plays for Crooked Creek Tech.

Kaepernick is the intriguing example, IMO. He lacks ideal touch in the short to mid range throws, to put it mildly, although his accuracy is good. I could see him shut down and frustrated by the right opponent, like Seattle blew them out recently, although that team may be gone from the playoffs. Bellichick with two weeks to prepare for Kaepernick would be quite interesting, given the regular season loss and other examples from Bellichick's past, like losing at home to the Rams in 2001 before defeating them as 13.5 point underdogs in the Super Bowl.

I give Tannehill, one more year. If we don't make the playoffs next year, and he doesn't improve, then we draft a QB in the first round next year.

Back
Top Bottom