Ryan Tannehill: Final Word | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill: Final Word

I didn't start watching football yesterday...I know a franchise quarterback when I see one and I'll guarantee you this kid is it.

You can play with semantics all you want, but if Andrew Luck and RG3 are considered franchise QB's, this kid is one as well.

I know you consider yourself some sort of expert, well, I've been watching football for 42 years and my track record has been pretty strong when it comes to anaylizing quarterbacks.

My response to you was based on your assessment that this kid was not as good as the aformentioned prospects, not worthy of a top ten pick...and finally not someone that will ever be a franchise QB...just a game manager.

I'm sorry, Jay Fiedler was a game manager...Ryan Tannehill's skill level is far above that.

I suppose he'll have to win a Superbowl before you'll admit you were wrong about him?

I'm certainly glad you are not the one making the call on Dolphin drafts...or this team would still be looking for the future at quarterback, but we'd have a nice safety or CB.

I don't consider Robert Griffin a franchise quarterback prospect. Nor do I consider him a better prospect than Ryan Tannehill. This couldn't possibly have been made any clearer than I made it.

You 42 year fanboys annoint players left and right from game to game... even snap to snap.

Jay Fiedler was not a game manager. He was inept as a starter. I think you mistake a game manager for a quarterback without physical skills or requisite talent. That's not the intent of being a game manager. Game management has virtually nothing to do with skill level. You can be a game manager and be a pro-bowl caliber quarterback. Andrew Luck will be a game manager. He'll get the offense out of bad plays and into the best play possible.

I'm not wrong about him. You're attempting to draw lines in the sand here that aren't there. If he wins a superbowl it still doesn't mean he wasn't a game manager. I didn't say he couldn't win a superbowl....

Last edited by a moderator:
For example, Jim Kelly and Troy Aikman were both game managers. Neither are what I would consider a franchise quarterback. They managed the talent that was at their disposal within the confines of the offense.

A franchise quarterback is a quarterback who's team lives and dies by what he does.

Prospects like Cam Newton and Robert Griffin will never be game managers. They'll either be the best in the league or bust out because of their style, not skillset. Game managers survive the ups and downs of an NFL career through attention to detail and managing the pocket.

Tannehill won't be the type of QB who carries a team on his shoulders. He's better being a piece of the puzzle than the one guy defenses are forced to stop. Same as a lot of good quarterbacks have been.

I don't consider Robert Griffin a franchise quarterback prospect. Nor do I consider him a better prospect than Ryan Tannehill. This couldn't possibly have been made any clearer than I made it.

You 42 year fanboys annoint players left and right from game to game... even snap to snap.

Jay Fiedler was not a game manager. He was inept as a starter. I think you mistake a game manager for a quarterback without physical skills or requisite talent. That's not the intent of being a game manager. Game management has virtually nothing to do with skill level. You can be a game manager and be a pro-bowl caliber quarterback. Andrew Luck will be a game manager. He'll get the offense out of bad plays and into the best play possible.

I'm not wrong about him. You're attempting to draw lines in the sand here that aren't there. If he wins a superbowl it still doesn't mean he wasn't a game manager. I didn't say he couldn't win a superbowl....

Fanboy? Yes I am a lifelong Dolphin fan...but I do not have aqua and orange colored glasses on.

I have criticized this organization for over a decade, pushing for the drafting of high level quarterback, as they wasted time with journeyman after journeyman. I even openly criticized Shula back in the day for many of his drafts, that in my opinion kept Marino from winning a championship.

Regarding Tannehill, I was pimping for him long before it was even being discussed that the Dolphins might take him. I had seen him at Texas A & M and loved his potential.

He will be far more than game manager, he has the skills to be a playmaker and I believe he will be.

I think its funny that you think you can be so condecending as to dismiss anybody as a "fanboy" who disagrees with you because of your self appointed "level of expertise". Get over yourself man!

It must kill your ego that You may very well have been completely wrong about drafting Tannehill at #8 overall? Do you secretly hope he fails just so you can be right??

Fanboy? Yes I am a lifelong Dolphin fan...but I do not have aqua and orange colored glasses on.

I have criticized this organization for over a decade, pushing for the drafting of high level quarterback, as they wasted time with journeyman after journeyman. I even openly criticized Shula back in the day for many of his drafts, that in my opinion kept Marino from winning a championship.

Regarding Tannehill, I was pimping for him long before it was even being discussed that the Dolphins might take him. I had seen him at Texas A & M and loved his potential.

He will be far more than game manager, he has the skills to be a playmaker and I believe he will be.

I think its funny that you think you can be so condecending as to dismiss anybody as a "fanboy" who disagrees with you because of your self appointed "level of expertise". Get over yourself man!

It must kill your ego that You may very well have been completely wrong about drafting Tannehill at #8 overall? Do you secretly hope he fails just so you can be right??

BlueFin -

You're not even able to point specifically at anything about Ryan Tannehill that I'm wrong about because you're not qualified. This is how I evaluated Tannehill at Texas A&M. There's threads in here where I specifically mentioned Ryan Tannehill as having 1st round ability going back to his Junior year when he took over for Jerrod Johnson after playing receiver.

The only thing you're qualified to do is cheer due to a lifetime of experience doing it by your own account.

All you have to do is step back for a second to realize how ridiculous it is what you're doing. You're annointing a kid based on a handfull of throws in one pre-season game. You fail to mention him skipping passes and almost throwing a pick due to staring down the receiver on a short out. All this against backups on a 4-12 team who's top 10 pick in the secondary didn't even play.

He's actually made improvements in his throwing mechanics since he played for aTm. His elbow is higher now.

Contrary to whatever your belief is, I don't need Tannehill to fail to prove me right or wrong. I already know that my assessment of him as a prospect was accurate. Rarely do I predict success or failure for prospects because that aspect often comes down to other factors that have nothing to do with scouting, or a kid's talent. Furthermore, I don't have time to bump every single statement on every single prospect everytime I'm right based on what he did the previous snap or previous series.

Ego has nothing to do with this. I'd pull for Ryan Tannehill no matter where he went, which I also made clear. Although when he goes out and struggles, I'll make damn sure you're aware of it now.

BlueFin -

You're not even able to point specifically at anything about Ryan Tannehill that I'm wrong about because you're not qualified. This is how I evaluated Tannehill at Texas A&M. There's threads in here where I specifically mentioned Ryan Tannehill as having 1st round ability going back to his Junior year when he took over for Jerrod Johnson after playing receiver.

The only thing you're qualified to do is cheer due to a lifetime of experience doing it by your own account.

All you have to do is step back for a second to realize how ridiculous it is what you're doing. You're annointing a kid based on a handfull of throws in one pre-season game. You fail to mention him skipping passes and almost throwing a pick due to staring down the receiver on a short out. All this against backups on a 4-12 team who's top 10 pick in the secondary didn't even play.

He's actually made improvements in his throwing mechanics since he played for aTm. His elbow is higher now.

Contrary to whatever your belief is, I don't need Tannehill to fail to prove me right or wrong. I already know that my assessment of him as a prospect was accurate. Rarely do I predict success or failure for prospects because that aspect often comes down to other factors that have nothing to do with scouting, or a kid's talent. Furthermore, I don't have time to bump every single statement on every single prospect everytime I'm right based on what he did the previous snap or previous series.

Ego has nothing to do with this. I'd pull for Ryan Tannehill no matter where he went, which I also made clear. Although when he goes out and struggles, I'll make damn sure you're aware of it now.

Who are you to say what I'm qualified for?

Bottomline, you said you would pass on him at number 8 overall...if he ends up being a great player YOU were WRONG!

I enjoy reading opinions on this board, and what you need to realize is all you have to offer is your opinions.

They are no more relevent than anyone elses.

And no, for about the thrid or fourth time, I am not annointing this kid based one qwuarter of play. I actually watched his play at Texas A&M and was a proponent of drafting him long before it was popular here.

I saw a kid with the physical skills, intelligence and poise to become great. Just look at his first game as a quarterback in college.

I saw a kid who is only going to get better and better, a prospect that this franchise would probably never get a shot at if he had played all 4 years at quarterback.

So specifically, you were wrong about passing on him at #8 in my opinion....and time will prove that.

...if he ends up being a great player YOU were WRONG!.

Obviously this applies to any player that ends up being a great player if I didn't think he would be. Let the kid become a great player first.

I'm pretty good though, BlueFin.

If there's any other current rookies you pegged for greatness we can talk about those too.

I'm not sure what the problem is here, I do know that ryan is just starting his nfl career and right now, nobody is right or wrong about him. it'll take a couple seasons to really say " I told you so... one way or the other."

I'm excited that we finally have a young QB with very high potential. What are his obvious weaknesses? I can't see any. He will get better at reading the defense with more experience.

Meh, I'll take a game manager any day of the week if it results in wins. Also, as Slimm is saying, being a game manager isn't necessarily a *bad* thing.

Meh, I'll take a game manager any day of the week if it results in wins. Also, as Slimm is saying, being a game manager isn't necessarily a *bad* thing.
I guess I need to get my terms down. Can a game manager be a franchise QB? is a gunslinger a franchise QB? Do we really want a gunslinger? sure they are exciting to watch, but they tend to be interception machines.

I guess I need to get my terms down. Can a game manager be a franchise QB? is a gunslinger a franchise QB? Do we really want a gunslinger? sure they are exciting to watch, but they tend to be interception machines.

Don't give a damn as long as the words "Dolphins" and "playoffs" are used in a non-comedic manner. :)

The problem for me is not that he needs work, IMO only A Luck can start from day one. The problem is if we take a QB at #10, we will have to start him in game one.
I don't understand your logic. We HAD to get better at QB and we don't always get what is ideal or what we want.

Taking the best we could get at #8 and developing as fast as we can was better than sitting in limbo for another year hoping for an "ideal" situation.

Tylerdolphin needs to win something. He gets hosed out of that Most Comedic award every year. If the voting was close I was giving him my vote to put him ahead... don't look like he'll need it.

Just reading this thread. Missed this gem of a post until now. Quite possibly your best analysis in years.

Back
Top Bottom