Ryan Tannehill | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill

Just had a Kind bar. Dark chocolate with cherries. So tasty.

I just housed a big bowl of Cocoa Krispies. My kids were looking at me kinda funny. I was all like, "Shut up. Daddy's still a kid sometimes." Well, I said it like that on the inside. With a couple expletives.

I'm fairly certain Roy was being sarcastic, although it's pretty well-established he's not a fan of Tannehill.

There are a few things at play here:

1) This franchise has been QB starved since Marino. STARVED. And one of the biggest hurdles any QB who comes here is going to have to deal with is that the fan base will immediately use Marino as a barometer. Here's the thing: Nobody before or since in the history of the NFL has come in to the league like Marino and just annihilated the standards of his day in the first few years of his career.

2) Nobody has had a trajectory from college to QB like Tannehill. Here's this point in a nutshell: The 20th game Andrew Luck started after high school was against Washington in his sophomore year at Stanford. The 20th game Russell Wilson started after high school was against Maryland, in his sophomore year at North Carolina State. The 20th game Ryan Tannehill started after high school was against the Houston Texans as a rookie in the NFL. The conversion from WR in college to Opening Day starter in the NFL was done in less than two years; just a season and a half of football. Can you think of another QB who's done that in the history of the modern NFL with ANY sort of success? Because I can't. But of course, that leads to....

3) The "No excuses" crowd vs the "supporting cast" crowd. All of us want the Fins to win. And when they don't, we all want someone to blame. And the QB is the most important single position on a football team. So, regardless of the circumstances, he's going to take the heat in those circumstances.

The thing with Tannehill is that the team around him has been so bad and/or dysfunctional and/or incompetent for so long that we still don't know for sure whether he is capable of taking this team to the next level. We don't know for sure if the team was so bad that no QB could have been successful with them, of if Tannehill hasn't able to take them beyond a certain point because of his limitations. And it's 2018. And it's just ******* ridiculous to still be having this debate. There will be people on this board who will tell you they have seen enough to know FOR SURE that Tannehill's not the guy, and point to their extensive football acumen, and then there are people who will tell you FOR SURE that they've seen enough to know that he can lead a competent team to a championship. And I'll tell you a secret:

None of us really know. Do I think he can? Yes. I've seen him do things and make throws that very few other QB can. And he's progressed tremendously since 2012, no matter what anyone else will tell you. But I still don't know for sure. I hope.

What is more important than any of this is that Adam Gase seems to think he can, too.

That last sentence says it all!

Ive been a loyal dolphin fan since as long as I can remember, RT is the best qb, hear me now, the BEST QB we have had since Chad Pennington and the god like Marino. For people to sit hear and complain about him makes me sick. A qb doesn't have to always be For Phenomenal to win games, it's a TEAM sport period!!!! If RT was released there would be a bidding war for him right now!!!! He's faced adversity since day ONE!!!

He was made a starter his rookie year and looked very promising, I don't care what anyone says but being drafted at 8 and started your rookie year all year speak volumes. No other qb besides Derek carr, Sanchez, Dak Prescott, Newton, Nick foles, to start there rookie year and actually look promising . ONE day in the future we'll be begging for a RT while sitting in qb Purgatory. Besides his second year RT has never thrown more than 13 int in a year,..Oh not to mention having straight idiots as prior coaches and having to change scheme every year and he is still in my book a good, soon to be very good qb and deny it if you want, I COULD SEE THE CHANGE WHEN GASE CAME .RT Was transforming right before our eyes with the fast receiving corps that we have along with Drake and a much much better offensive line.

this is the best line that we have had since Vernon Carey and Jake along where on the same the same line. If youre gonna judge him do it this year with a much improved oline and smart player who will not make mental errors. Below are his td and int for his 5 year career that he's played. How many other non elite qbs can give you what he does, Hes very Athletic for a QB, hes a very good passer and hes very good at learning. People just want to have a elote qb which is not required, he is the most Underappreciated qb ive ever seen!! He's going to come out balling, he's metered the case offense which is resembling more and more like the past, and a defense looking more and more like the old giants, and I believe it's case who has turned over the roster just like philbin did, but this time it's actually real improvement.

12/13
24/17
27/12
24/12
19/12

I like Tannehill but his numbers have not drastically changed since his 2nd year. Our record with him floats around 8-8. We need to draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round this year.

Agreed 100% to the last bit. Alas, I don't think you're actually done waiting.

I had a dream last night that both Derwin James and Baker Mayfield were available when the Fins were on the clock at 11. I woke up before we TRADED DOWN

Nope Gerard got hurt and we already know how Miami feels about Moore. There was no competition.
Well there was but whatever you say. Gerard got hurt during camp not before, he competed. If you saw training camp, you would have seen a clearly better Tannehill than the other two. Regardless Agree to disagree.

Well there was but whatever you say. Gerard got hurt during camp not before, he competed. If you saw training camp, you would have seen a clearly better Tannehill than the other two. Regardless Agree to disagree.
... and objective "journalist" Omar's never forgiven Tannehill for his homey Garrard suspiciously getting "hurt" playing with his kid in the pool and fading into the sunset with Ross's $$ (until he came back the following year and did the same thing to the Jets).

... and objective "journalist" Omar's never forgiven Tannehill for his homey Garrard suspiciously getting "hurt" playing with his kid in the pool and fading into the sunset with Ross's $$ (until he came back the following year and did the same thing to the Jets).
Even so, Tannehill was better than Gerard. Gerard probably knew he was getting beat out regularly and decided to phantomize and injury

Another "Ryan Tannehill ain't so bad" thread....yay!

Dude is going on year 7 (year 6 if you discount him sitting out 2017) and we're still waiting for his big statement year.

We'll know a lot more about Gase's/team's confidence in him if Mayfield is there at 11 and we take him.

Last edited:
Tannehill was drafted #8 overall.

Tannehill was given the job by default as a rookie.

Those yearly numbers are paltry in today’s era of passing first.

We’ll see if he comes out balling in 2018.

Last year there were 3 qb’s with 30+ TD’s, 2016 there were 5, 2015 - 11, 2014 - 9. Paultry is not an accurate description of his TD numbers, rather top 10 or better is more accurate minus his rookie season and a shortened 2016. Just sayin.....

Last edited:
Tannehill is to coaches what Kryptonite is to Superman.

That was so well put. You make such a great point since those coaches went on to become such pillars of the NFL that it's ashame that Tannehill was such an eye sore on their resume <if you can't tell, I'm being highly sarcastic>

My biggest gripe was always the fact that Tannehill had the worst coaches from his begin. I like what Gase has been doing with him and am hoping that knee is behind him and he has a healthy season to just come back on here and read what excuses you guys come up with to support your hate for the guy.

Back
Top Bottom