Signing both Mike Wallace & Greg Jennings/The Pat Riley effect | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Signing both Mike Wallace & Greg Jennings/The Pat Riley effect

Football is not basketball.

Cant compare the off seasons. Just a whole different spectrum.

For the love of God it's about CAP SPACE. Riley created it with a vision, Ireland created it with a vision.

Its not absurd at all, you're gonna get some idiots yelling "MADDEN!!" but in reality Jennings and Wallace are just players in a pool of free agents that we can easily afford to sign. Some of these same idiots want to sign Smith and Long, again the reality is Smith and Long are basically free agents at this point and will cost $18 million themselves. If you're going to spend $18 million on 2 free agents I'll take Wallace and Jennings over Smith and Long all day.

Guys, signing both Jennings and Wallace/Bowe is not out of reach, it is quite feasible actually...

You're essentially swapping Jake Long (currently $11M), Brian Hartline ($1M), and their contracts out of the old offense for a new offense of Jennings and Wallace for about $6-7 million more, and a ****load of draft picks to address the hole moving Jake creates (which is actually at RT because Martin makes the move to the left. So Hartline gets swapped for Wallace + Jennings, save money letting Bush, Long, Fasano, Starks walk for younger cheaper alternatives Miller, Martin, Clay/Draft pick, Odrick.

That leaves you with holes only at RB(depth), TE, RT, RG(optional), Pass Rusher, 2 CB's (If Smith Leaves), and S (If Clemons leaves)

With about $25-30mil in Cap plus 1,2,2,3,3,4,5,7,7 draft picks to play with.

If this offseason is properly executed, we should have a COMPLETE ROSTER with absolutely 0 GLARING HOLES, just some weak spots/depth issues but nothing major

MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

Adding James, Wade and Bosh to the Heat upgrades 60% of the starting lineup to superstar status.

Adding Jennings and Wallace to the Dolphins upgrades 16.66% of the starting offensive lineup to playmaker status. An offense being run by our talented if still developing QB behind an o-line being overhauled (again).

See the difference?

Not saying it's a bad idea, but the parallels are not that eerie and the outcome is not predestined to be the same. Free agency in basketball vs football is very very different.

Its definatly doable, BUT it would put alot of pressure on Ireland's draft. He'd have to absolutly HIT on starters with the first 5 picks in this draft to compensate for the money being sent to the WR position. Its a risk, part of me doesnt like that idea but if I came home one day and read that news on FH, I guess I'd fell pretty excited initially...

It is really not that absurd as far as I am concerned because if you are going to resign Hartline and bring in Wallace/Greg Jennings, might as well spend a couple more millions to sign both of them.

WR:Wallace/Jennings/Bess/Rishard Matthews
FB: Charles Clay (this gives you more option on the fied).
TE: Fasano(blocking) and a draftee.

This would allow us to load up on defense through the draft(a DE, two CBs)

You harp on playmakers, yet advocate the resigning of a mediocre on his best day, TE. This is where you lose all credibility in your hypothetical.

You harp on playmakers, yet advocate the resigning of a mediocre on his best day, TE. This is where you lose all credibility in your hypothetical.

That was a different poster, not me. And i think everyone can agree that we'd love to keep Fasano as the #2 TE, but that we need to procure a seam threat TE as our #1.

I know your dying to win this argument, but maybe you should just move on.

Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings the football equivalent of Lebron James and Chris Bosh?

Hardly.

Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings the football equivalent of Lebron James and Chris Bosh?

Hardly.

Let me spell this out more simply..

You create cap space. Instead of constantly trying to "contend", you sacrifice 1 year (as Ireland just did), lose Brandon Marshall an Vontae Davis, so that you have cap space the next year. You know that if you get aggressive, and have a promising team, that elite players will choose Miami over other destinations, perhaps even for less money, because of our lack of state income tax. You use this to your advantage. So you make a splash, and you sign Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings, which in addition to creating excitement, makes football sense, as it allows you to use draft picks and remaining money on other positions, and not draft WRs who might or might not pan out. Ed Reed, Tony Gonzalez..guys like that start seeing the Dolphins as attractive, bc they see 1-a chance to finish their careers in warm, beautiful Miami and 2-play for a team on the rise..similar to Ray Allen and Mike Miller. You usher in this new era of Dolphins football on an exciting note. THAT is the parallell with the Heat and Riley i was drawing. Not Lebron Wade and Bosh...but the creation of cap space and using Miami as a recruiting tool if you just sacrifice a season and follow it up by creating some excitement down here.

1. Trading Vontae Davis didn't create a lick of cap space. He was set to cost us like a million bucks this year. Pittance. Tying him into this theory is folly.

2. Signing Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings doesn't open any kind of flood gates whatsoever on free agents thinking they suddenly need to play for the Miami Dolphins because Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings are there. You keep saying you're not calling them the equivalent of Lebron and Bosh but you ARE. Players want to play for the Heat because they know Lebron, Bosh and Wade are there and that with those three players alone you're going to contend for championships. You think signing Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings will have anywhere even CLOSE to that effect?

3. All of the things that you talked about with respect to taxes, sunshine, etc making Miami an attractive destination...are already in effect. They'll be factors whether Jennings and Wallace come here or not. So they really have nothing to do with your theory.

4. The "attractiveness" factor really only applies to free agents anyway and there's some evidence that a steady inflow of free agents doesn't do you any good in salary cap football anyway.

This theory is all kinds of wrong, IMO. The only reason you sign Jennings and Wallace is if it makes sense to you from a football standpoint. And maybe it does. Who knows. It depends on your evaluation of the individual players.

1- Vontae Davis was deemed not part of our future and would be a free agent after this year, so they traded him for a future 2nd and 5th, or whatever. That's trading the now for the future.

2- Yes, i do. I think the Miami Dolphins signing Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings would put the league on notice, and I think free agents would look at Miami as much more desirable bc of the reasons listed above, bc we now have exciting weapons, and bc we have a defense that is stout.

3- You're right. Miami has always been an attractive destination for players. But players have known we weren't legit contenders for years now. This would change that.

4- I agree in part with this. Your argument has merit. Free agency isn't the answer...i agree with that. But at skill positions, with Ireland's track record in re: skill positions, i much rather pay more for proven guys than draft a WR in the first or second round (a 2nd can still be spent on a Tavon Austin in my scenario anyways). Add in the fact that we'd still have near 20 million in cap space, and there is no good reason not to acquire guys that have done it in the league.

If we were to sign Wallace & Jennings, i'd even advocate trading up in the draft to try and secure a Bjorn Werner or Dee Milliner. We would have much more room to maneuver knowing that the WR positions are ​set.

Back
Top Bottom