Stephen Ross: State of the Franchise | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stephen Ross: State of the Franchise

Playoffs or bust. I'm down with that.

If Ross does not dabble in free agency, the stadium will be even more empty.
Of course they are looking at free agency, come on man. He is simply stating that they have a plan and the pain bulk of the plan is the draft. We all know that already from the stockpiling of picks in recent months. They have had their eye on the 2013 draft for a long time now, clearly. And he is right about free agency. In a lot of cases, there is a reason players are available (attitude, declining skill, overrated, too much money). We don't need warts. Simple concept. All it means is we will sift through it and make sound decisions. There were no major points made in this address, all pretty general comments so lets not make stuff up. Nublar seems to have it in his post.

If this team doesn't sign a big name free agent WR, the stadium will be an absolute ghost town, IMO. This is one case where the reality of business will be good for the product on the field.

Agreed. I already cancelled my season tickets after owning them since the mid '80s. Depending on the direction this team takes in the off-season will greatly influence whether I renew.

Playoffs or bust. I'm down with that.
If anyone truly wants to UPDATE the logo, then start by dropping the outdated orange starburst. Designers would be better having never seen the original and then incorporating "the past" after new designs have been thought up.

No link to the video yet, Dolphins.com said they will have it up later. Ross was asked what the goal of 2013 was and his response was "win". He also made a comment about that Jeff needs to "deliver the personnel that will make us a winning franchise". With Ireland not under contract at this point for 2014, it was very obvious that Ross was saying Jeff needs to field a winning team or else in 2013.

Nublar7, thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to seeing the press conference and judging for myself the strength of this implication that this year is win or else for Ireland.

One of the problems with press conference statements and our ineffective local sports journalists is that they never demand clarification in order to force people to put something definitive into the public record. Someone should have asked Ross to clarify the exact level of performance he expected for next year. He says expects them to win. So will a 9-7 record with no playoffs meet his criteria of success (and thus save Ireland's job)? How about 10-7 with no playoffs? He's been telling us years that he expects playoffs but there have been no consequences for Ireland (and consequences for Sporano only after three years) when it doesn't happen.

If this team doesn't sign a big name free agent WR, the stadium will be an absolute ghost town, IMO. This is one case where the reality of business will be good for the product on the field.
They will play in Free Agency. they will. I understand your point though. It is from that thinking that I liked what the Redskins did last year trading up, even though I hated the Redskins for years. their actions said, "we are going for it", "we are confident" and "we are going to be entertaining". I liked the trade up and the immediate excitement it created for them. So in the same way, Miami could do that with a good Free Agency.

Nublar7, thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to seeing the press conference and judging for myself the strength of this implication that this year is win or else for Ireland.

One of the problems with press conference statements and our ineffective local sports journalists is that they never demand clarification in order to force people to put something definitive into the public record. Someone should have asked Ross to clarify the exact level of performance he expected for next year. He says expects them to win. So will a 9-7 record with no playoffs meet his criteria of success (and thus save Ireland's job)? How about 10-7 with no playoffs? He's been telling us years that he expects playoffs but there have been no consequences for Ireland (and consequences for Sporano only after three years) when it doesn't happen.

Ross wants the playoffs. Ireland is not in danger. He is young and Ross currently believes in him. Ross values good men so he thinks Ireland is one, obviously. It is not at a point where he would say 9-7 is not ok and 10-6 is OK. You have Ireland this year. Next year's formula for firing has not played out so any such answer would be a waste of time. I was think last night about the people that call themselves real fans (not talking you here). They always say things like, I get behind the teams players and cheer for them to be successful because I am a Dolphin fan. Perhaps it is time for the real fans to get behind Ireland, and say, OK, he has made some errors and learned things and has to be better, and cheer him on to get to the next level. I hope he does great, because he is the guy in the position. Or you could spend another year of your life whining. None of us know the inputs into decisions anyway. For example, ten guys around the boardroom table might have supported the Marshall or Davis moves yet we always say it was purely Ireland. Perhaps Ross has his back a bit because Ross knows these decisions are not the product of one man sitting there in isolation. People that have been around a boardroom table affecting business will know what I'm talking about. There is a reason Ireland is still here guys.

Ross clearly has the brain worms.

They will play in Free Agency. they will. I understand your point though. It is from that thinking that I liked what the Redskins did last year trading up, even though I hated the Redskins for years. their actions said, "we are going for it", "we are confident" and "we are going to be entertaining". I liked the trade up and the immediate excitement it created for them. So in the same way, Miami could do that with a good Free Agency.

but on the flip side, if RG3 ended up being Ryan Leaf, they would have looked like huge fools... They gambled and it appears for the moment it paid off... But when you gamble, you win some and lose some.

Redskins gambled for years with all the trading and FA signings, it wasn't till this year did it actually work out for them, if you consider not clinching the division till after a week 17 win and a Wild card play off lose a success. :)

Of course they are looking at free agency, come on man. He is simply stating that they have a plan and the pain bulk of the plan is the draft. We all know that already from the stockpiling of picks in recent months. They have had their eye on the 2013 draft for a long time now, clearly. And he is right about free agency. In a lot of cases, there is a reason players are available (attitude, declining skill, overrated, too much money). We don't need warts. Simple concept. All it means is we will sift through it and make sound decisions. There were no major points made in this address, all pretty general comments so lets not make stuff up. Nublar seems to have it in his post.

Problem with the draft is that draft picks usually take a couple of years to pan out, if we have to go 2-3 more years with ireland as gm with a losing record while waiting for those to pan out, that would not be fair to us or anyone for that matter. Going into year 6 of ireland as it stands, dude is getting paid millions and millions of dollars and for what?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Problem with the draft is that draft picks usually take a couple of years to pan out, if we have to go 2-3 more years with ireland as gm with a losing record while waiting for those to pan out, that would not be fair to us or anyone for that matter. Going into year 6 of ireland as it stands, dude is getting paid millions and millions of dollars and for what?

as mentioned above, this is Irelands make or break season, what part of "Ireland isn't extended past 2013" are you missing?

Wow, I can already see the jets, bills and pats fans laughing at what Ross had to say. "The pats won't be good forever"?....sure, lets wait for them to not be good......he wants Ireland to finish what he started? What he started 6 damn years ago?......so we're supposed to be happy with the fact that NE "won't be good forever" while the pats fans are saying about us "as long as Ross and Ireland are in charge we have nothing to worry about"....are you kidding me? and for those like Nublar that are saying that 'they" knew Ireland was staying and we were blind to think he could be gone" guess what? Most of us knew he was staying but that doesn't mean we should be happy about it. I do believe Ross wants to win real bad. He just has the wrong person to built a winning team and 90% of us can see that while the other 10% can't see it.

Ozzy rules!!

Wow, I can already see the jets, bills and pats fans laughing at what Ross had to say. "The pats won't be good forever"?....sure, lets wait for them to not be good......he wants Ireland to finish what he started? What he started 6 damn years ago?......so we're supposed to be happy with the fact that NE "won't be good forever" while the pats fans are saying about us "as long as Ross and Ireland are in charge we have nothing to worry about"....are you kidding me? and for those like Nublar that are saying that 'they" knew Ireland was staying and we were blind to think he could be gone" guess what? Most of us knew he was staying but that doesn't mean we should be happy about it. I do believe Ross wants to win real bad. He just has the wrong person to built a winning team and 90% of us can see that while the other 10% can't see it.

Ozzy rules!!

Jets and Bills fans have nothing to be laughing about... sometime I wonder if you're one of them... only sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom