Super Bowl Takeaways For The Dolphins? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Super Bowl Takeaways For The Dolphins?

Does anyone here believe Tua could have led the same game-tying and game-winning drives that Mahomes did? No? OK - don't sign his *** to a long term contract this off season then.
He couldn't even get a 1st down or a FG vs Tennessee. The best he could do was a FG vs Dallas aided by a face mask penalty. But Tua is going to get extended, if only to aid with the salary cap and Grier and McDaniel aren't’ going to admit they was wrong on tua.

It’s incredible that they won the SB this year w so few skill players. Kelce is 34 and not the same player though he saved his best for the playoffs this year. But really, it’s Mahomes and JAGs at RB and WR
Well they also have maybe the best OL in football. Miamiwent out and spent picks and money on WRs. KC used their cash and picks on OL. Their interior OL was literally 1,2,3 in pass block win rate for the season.

Yeah I know - the 69ers are literally better at all the skill positions except QB compared to KC. I thought SF was the better team and that they would win but they just couldn’t make enough plays in the 2nd half on O
The chiefs had defensive talent like they didn't have in past years, but yes not the offensive talent, but still won. When you have a great coach like Reid and best qb with mahomes, along with great dc. You have a chance to go far in the playoffs and win a superbowl. They'll always be super bowl contenders as long as they have these guys. Patrick mahomes is not even 30 so they aren;t done yet, and assume they'll try to add more offensive talent in offseason. So be better on offense next season with the good defense they have

I think that we are a lot closer than some think.

In our first game vs. KC, we lost on a really debatable Tyreek fumble call.

That game saw us at mostly full strength.

When healthy, we can play with the best. Our collapse was 100% injury related... 9 starters and several walking woulded.

If healthy, we're close.
Completely irrelevant. Recent games against the Super Bowl champ aren't the reference point. Otherwise the Denver Broncos would be chirping.

Everything required to get there and succeed along the way, the ability to seamlessly adapt no matter what type of game it turns out to be, like last year's Super Bowl shoot out or this year's much lower scoring affair.

Win 3 or 4 consecutive playoff games without personnel weaknesses being exposed.

The Dolphins don't own any of that. Kansas City's defense stopped Buffalo on the road throughout the second half, thwarted Lamar Jackson throughout, and made all the key stops today.

Next season the Chiefs defense probably won't be as good. That's logical regression. But the offense will be retooled and more dangerous.

Don't expect anything. That's the lesson as a Dolphins fan. When it's 1 among 32 you need immense margin for error. Brady provided that and now Mahomes. The outliers become increasingly meaningless.

I really wanted the 49ers to win. But after the Kelvin Kiptum news broke, nothing seemed important. I still feel numb.

I’m sure most will disagree but I think Brock Purdy and Tua are the same player.

I think they’re so similar that if we sent Tua to SF and brought Brock Purdy to Miami that both teams would have ended up exactly where they finished.

My point is… watching Brock Purdy tonight with the best roster in football around him is exactly what it would be with Tua if we had the best roster in the league.

Good enough to get to the SB but not good enough to win it. Bottom line… Purdy got his team a FG when it mattered most and Mahomes got the TD when it mattered most.

That just about sums it up. My point is… even with the best roster in the league around Tua… we would fall short bc we have to get through Mahomes.

We don’t have the best roster in football nor are we going to anytime soon so why waste a huge contract on Tua when we know he isn’t beating Mahomes when it matters most?

I understand the conundrum with the salary cap and lack of picks that we’re pretty much forced into bringing Tua back but let him play on the 5th year option. Don’t give him some huge deal that’s going to strangle our ability to acquire top talent any more than it’s already going to be.

Let him play out the 5th year and see what happens and if we somehow did make a SB or even a conference championship game then I would understand giving him a deal. Otherwise if we falter again next year then the offseason after next year it would be time to tear it down and start all over again.

Tua is never going to beat Mahomes/Burrow/Jackson/Allen when it matters most and even if he somehow did beat one of them more than likely he’s going to have to face 2 of those in the same playoffs to get us where we want to go.

With Tua… it ain’t happen’n cap’n.
purdy uses his legs alot better than tua does. purdy is also a better game manager. just doesnt force it as much and turn the ball over.

We are not going anywhere with McDaniel calling plays. Tua may be solvable if we get a good Oline. Purdy had plenty of time to throw compared to Tua. We also need a TE once Kittle went down San fran stagnated. We need a solid pass-catching and block TE to complement Durham Smythe. I think Achane will be big for us next year as well as Brooks. Beef up the lines and get OC to call plays and Ithink we closer then we think.
This true. McDaniel has shown he can design a great offense, but he has been a poor in game playcaller. Especially when Ds change up he just doesn't change anything. While Reid showed again why he is the best play caller in the NFL Especially as the game goes on. Mahomes is great but damn how many time late were guys schemed wide open.

He couldn't even get a 1st down or a FG vs Tennessee. The best he could do was a FG vs Dallas aided by a face mask penalty. But Tua is going to get extended, if only to aid with the salary cap and Grier and McDaniel aren't’ going to admit they was wrong on tua.
I agree. It’s disappointing.

Well they also have maybe the best OL in football. Miamiwent out and spent picks and money on WRs. KC used their cash and picks on OL. Their interior OL was literally 1,2,3 in pass block win rate for the season.
Yes. Great point.

They got the beef. We got the Cheetah.

It’s incredible that they won the SB this year w so few skill players. Kelce is 34 and not the same player though he saved his best for the playoffs this year. But really, it’s Mahomes and JAGs at RB and WR
Right. They did a really good job of making that defense better.

Have to think they go for a wide receiver in the draft.

Definitely not as explosive as they used to be offensively, but man are they clutch!

5. The Shanahan system seems to have QBs who crap the bed and don’t make enough plays in the 4th quarter. Remember Matt Ryan in the SB? Jimmy Garapolo? Now Brock Purdy - who wasn’t awful in the 2nd half but he was close to awful. There is something about that system that is great at manufacturing points and yards etc w QBs who aren’t elite. But they seem to come up short late in big games. Food for thought.

Sounds like us.

Last edited:
purdy uses his legs alot better than tua does. purdy is also a better game manager. just doesnt force it as much and turn the ball over.
Well your "love child" has about 3 to 3.5 seconds to throw...but you already new this but your obsession all things Tua had to be fed.

A few other things:

1. Low snaps in the shotgun are in fashion. Creed Humphrey snapped like Connor Williams all night so that bodes well for us.

2. We need a punter who can boom it 50-60 yards w regularity like most punters today.

3. Special teams need to be special. The Chiefs got a blocked PAT, a turnover on a punt and a 57 yard FG. Danny Crossman stinks and we don’t make enough plays on ST. That blocked PAT was the biggest thing that set the table for the win.

4. QBs need to be able to make plays w their legs. Tua needs to drop some weight.

5. The Shanahan system seems to have QBs who crap the bed and don’t make enough plays in the 4th quarter. Remember Matt Ryan in the SB? Jimmy Garapolo? Now Brock Purdy - who wasn’t awful in the 2nd half but he was close to awful. There is something about that system that is great at manufacturing points and yards etc w QBs who aren’t elite. But they seem to come up short late in big games. Food for thought.
Agree.

Weird how the 49ers came out passing in the 3rd quarter. They had an opportunity after the Mahomes interception.

You have Christian McCaffrey and you go away from him there?

That was Shanahan's mistake with Atlanta too against New England. And we've all complained that McDaniel doesn't stick with the run.

My observation for what it's worth.

Last edited:
We need to add another dimension to beat KC (let alone Buffalo).

You need to outscore them and not let get games come down to them having the ball needing to stop them 4 times.

I’m back on board the Brock Bowers train.

Bears at 9 would an ideal spot for something to happen, if he’s still available.
This is really the topic of the offseason IMO.

How does Miami better matchup against KC and also Buffalo? The Dolphins have more offensive skill talent than the Chiefs, but Mahomes is Mahomes and the KC defense is better than Miami's.

I think stacking the offense may be the answer.

I like the Bowers idea if he falls a little. Maybe explore a trade for Kyle Pitts?

If that doesn't happen, grab one of the top receivers maybe.

Back
Top Bottom