Tannehill restructured his contract | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill restructured his contract

Anybody know if this would change, or not, if RT doesn't fully recover from his knee injury? Are we protected here if he can't go or are we on the hook for the duration?
There is no way tannehill would allow that. That would be stupid.

I think Tannehill is a good quarterback and I support the team rolling with him into the future, so if you are disappointed by this move let me tell you:

I do not think this takes QB at 11 off the table AT ALL. What this does mean is that if we do draft a quarterback early, he will have to earn his starting spot and it almost certainly won't be in 2018.

0.0% chance we draft a QB at 11. Not even sure why it was ever being discussed.

I'd like a cap guru to weigh in on this, but the opinion I've seen is that the way this moves the money around, it essentially means Miami is committed to Tannehill through the 2020 season. i.e. the cap hit for moving on from him now after 2018 or 2019 would be prohibitive.

If that's correct, then I take back what I said about a 1st round quarterback. If that's true, very unlikely that we use a high first round pick on a QB.

Lmao. Might as well restructure Stills and Kiko while we’re at it. Keep kicking that money down the road. We saw how great it worked out with Suh.

0.0% chance we draft a QB at 11. Not even sure why it was ever being discussed.

Where there's smoke, there's usually fire. While I personally feel like Miami was trying to bait teams into trading up (very much fits our recent draft M.O.), I also fully believe the rumors that Adam Gase loves Baker Mayfield. A lot of nut-swinging coaches like Sean Payton, etc. apparently absolutely love the kid.

Can we now stop speculating on trading into the top 5?

I would say "no" because Miami can still do it. I will say this move with Tannehill has diminished that chance IMO. I have felt Miami must get a QB in the draft to at the very least be a reliable backup. Miami can't have 2017 happen again and I don't think Gase will allow that. If Miami moves up in the top 5 to get a QB would have no bearing on Tannehill staying the next two seasons unless moving him had to be part of the move up. If Miami picked a top QB he would have probably sit behind Tannehill. With this move I feel Miami may get a QB later rather than sooner and I am okay with that as well. Tannehill was coming on under Gase and if he can stay healthy he can be good enough for Miami to win. He's only 30. Draft weekend will be fun for sure.

They need money now but we won't be in cap hell next year. We have all of Suh's money coming off in June, that is plenty to sign draft picks and probably roll some over.

Now pray his knee is 100% and holds up all season.

Love him or loathe him, this is absolutely the case now, we've thrown all our eggs into that one basket. They must have some positive news on the knee and are confident, otherwise this is another dumbass move by a dumbass FO.

Tannehill is a great guy and a team guy. Good for him.

Aren’t all these restructures and the cutting / eating of suh’s contract just proof that T-Dumb sucks at his job?

I'd like a cap guru to weigh in on this, but the opinion I've seen is that the way this moves the money around, it essentially means Miami is committed to Tannehill through the 2020 season. i.e. the cap hit for moving on from him now after 2018 or 2019 would be prohibitive.

If that's correct, then I take back what I said about a 1st round quarterback. If that's true, very unlikely that we use a high first round pick on a QB.
Yes basically we could have moved on form Thill with very little cap implication. Now we are committed to a qb drafted by a former coach, who has never completed a season with a winning record and has major injury issues. All along getting unpresident endorsement from a head coach that eliminated all competition at the most important position on the team.

I would say "no" because Miami can still do it. I will say this move with Tannehill has diminished that chance IMO. I have felt Miami must get a QB in the draft to at the very least be a reliable backup. Miami can't have 2017 happen again and I don't think Gase will allow that. If Miami moves up in the top 5 to get a QB would have no bearing on Tannehill staying the next two seasons unless moving him had to be part of the move up. If Miami picked a top QB he would have probably sit behind Tannehill. With this move I feel Miami may get a QB later rather than sooner and I am okay with that as well. Tannehill was coming on under Gase and if he can stay healthy he can be good enough for Miami to win. He's only 30. Draft weekend will be fun for sure.

Regardless what we think of Tannehill, we can't afford the draft pick capital it would take to move from 11 to 5. If there's one QB left at say #5, you can throw the compensation chart out. It would cost next year's 1st, the #11 and more.

They may not be able to cut Tannehill in 2019 but they could trade him. They could draft a QB replacement this year, put him on the bench, trade Tannehill the next year.

With the addition of Suh’s cap money after June 1st, Miami could carry over as much as $15m-$20m into 2019?

Back
Top Bottom