Tannehill will not last an entire year. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill will not last an entire year.

up until the knee injury, Tannehill stayed remarkably healthy while taking a large amount of hits. I think his nickname was something like Cyborg17...
he definetely did stay healthy while taking some shots....but i was afraid this would happen and it did.....He was taking some big hits.

I think you're being paranoid. He didnt get surgery when he should've and had tore his acl, now hes back and will be fully healthy. He's been very tough for his first 5 or 6 years, no reason to think he wont be back fully.

Never said Minnesota had bad defense. But you did imply they are still only alive because of their defense. After a walk off TD by their offense. Doh!
Incredibly inaccurate.

WOW! There are no guarantees ANY player will last all season long that's why the IR list exists. I wonder if Watson & Wentz will last an entire year because of their ACL injuries? SMDH!

Last edited:
Just curious. Give me three answers. What do you HOPE will happen? You've already stated that. What do you EXPECT will happen? What do you think most HCs would do in Gase's shoes?

Ooh, ooh, can I answer for me?

I hope we don't draft a QB early and Tannehill comes back strong and the Dolphins win the SB.
I expect we will not draft a QB early and Tannehill will come back strong but, alas, we will not be a SB contender. We will, however, be a playoff contender.
I think most HCs would want to support a very good QB with the best supporting cast and coaching staff that they can. That means addressing the needs of a team with numerous holes and drafting for the present, not drafting contingencies.

Never said Minnesota had bad defense. But you did imply they are still only alive because of their defense. After a walk off TD by their offense. Doh!
Incredibly inaccurate.

They have the best defense in the NFL, if it was just average like ours, they wouldn't be the SB contenders they are today. Just like Philly and Jax, but yes, that was a nice play or terrible one depending how you look at it by Diggs. Had it not been for that, the terrible pick Keenam threw would have cost them the game. Luckily for them though, that's not how it ended. Instead, they got lucky Baltimore style. Foles and Bortles though, I knew you wouldn't go there lol.

First of all i hope iam wrong, but i truly believe tannehill will not last an entire year. Just because of the injury.

So im hoping we draft a qb in the first round.

You post implies if you were the GM, you would have given up on Marino after his first knee surgery (back when the surgery and recovery was way more risky and less of a sure thing). Hell, this puts you into the "not taking Brees because of his shoulder" camp too. How much money do you have down on the Colts moving away from Luck this year? Knees are a relatively safe repair and recovery these days, and Tannehills injury wasn't bad as far as knees go. But if we are to take your premise on face value, then how many of our other guys who are far more dependent on running on EVERY play and are recovering from knee surgery are you going to replace this draft?

This just another barely veiled "I don't like Tannehill" threads. Why it needed a new thread instead of just piling on the last 120, I don't know.

This year there is a very good qb class. y not take a chance this year that the odds of drafting a gem are very high.

We have only drafted a qb in the first round once since marino, and it worked out pretty well with tannehill until the injury.
:

Actually, many feel that this years crop of QB's are offering less than last years (quantity is not the same as quality), so not really that great -- but that first round pick we would use would be real.

Tannehill wasn't a superstar but we won some games with him even though we never made the playoffs with him until he got hurt.

Again, Why not take a chance this year and draft a qb.

GO Phins.

Because you have to look at the overall team and ask: where are we at the greatest risk/need. If we use a #1 pick on a QB, then we're not using that pick somewhere else. Since you had a vision and you are working on the premise that RT won't last a year because he got hurt for the first time in 5 years, you are assuming the #1 pick will be playing this year. Now the question to ask then is: A) are there really enough great QBs in this draft that we'll get one too; B) if not, how much will we have to trade in order to move up to get one of those "Sure things".

Path A: If you follow the boards here, you'll see that almost every QB that's declared has someone who knows they are a "sure thing" which is a wonderful proxy for "drafting is well informed guessing and a lot of finger crossing". But to be clear, you are saying there are 4 to 5 STARTING READY QBs in this draft and that the one that will fall to us will also magically fit our offensive scheme needs (or that once we get this sure thing, we'll be able to retool our offense to fit this QBs strengths and weaknesses).

*I'll happily take this bed with you. Hell, I'll give you odds too*

Path B: You are willing on this team with as many holes as we have, to forgo filling 2 or 3 of them this year. Putting our new 'sure thing' on a bad team makes for a bad team. Remember, we played for years with one of the best coaches and QB's EVER, on a team with too many holes and have nothing but fond memories of what should have been to show for it.

This is the real reason Philly, Jax, and Minnesota are in the championship games: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-attempts-per-game

When your defense is good enough to allow your offense to run the ball heavily, it does wonders for a football team, ask Russell Wilson.

We need to get back to running the football, preferably with success. A prospect like Quenton Nelson would go a long ways towards helping that, as would an improved D.

Last edited:
Weak argument. When you are winning you run the ball to wind the clock. That has been proven over and over.

Minnesota runs in 31 times a game on average because they have been ahead most of the time. Because they were behind they only ran it 29 and the QB had to win the game for them. Not the defense, and certainly not the running game. Had they not been behind they might have gotten those couple more attempt to reach their average.

Jags on the other hand stayed up 2 TD's most of the way and were able to reach their rushing attempts.

If this f..ing idiotic team had drafted a QB every year we'd be good by now.

No way it will happen early though.

I like that offensive guard from Notre Dame ( I think) the one everyone loves - he mauls guys.

I'm good with putting together a real offensive line. That wins games because the refs call ticky tac holding calls - so if a qb has time stuff gets called.

Weak argument. When you are winning you run the ball to wind the clock. That has been proven over and over.

Minnesota runs in 31 times a game on average because they have been ahead most of the time. Because they were behind they only ran it 29 and the QB had to win the game for them. Not the defense, and certainly not the running game. Had they not been behind they might have gotten those couple more attempt to reach their average.

Jags on the other hand stayed up 2 TD's most of the way and were able to reach their rushing attempts.

All 3 teams (except NE) win because they have great defenses and offenses designed to not take chances, that is why they run the ball so often FYI. Running the ball successfully and playing great defense are the two most important factors for successful NFL teams. That's what Minn, Jax, and Philly are doing great this year, but some people still want to act like the QB's are the reason for their success lol. Sure Keenam has had a great year, but it also helps just a bit when you have the #1 ranked defense on your side. There is a reason Russel Wilson didn't make the playoffs, and it has nothing to do with Russel Wilson. QB's always have been, and always will be the most over-hyped position in sports, but football men like Nick Saban know that which is why they focus on defense and have great success. F*** Nick Saban, but he know what he doing and he started and played an entire half with essentially a RB at QB in the National Championship lol. Says a lot about how he feels about QBs. Still didn't matter, and neither does the fact A.J McCarron is the best he's ever had...

Last edited:
Regardless of a contingency draft plan to replace Tannehill/groom his ultimate replacement, in 2016, Tannehill had the 4th highest QBR from a clean pocket (and 3rd highest deep ball accuracy percentage). And that's with the 30th ranked OL!

Now of course any QB will have a better QBR from a clean pocket, but Tannehill's numbers were elite level. And even in a clean pocket, when it comes to long ball accuracy, that's not gonna help every QB. Clean pockets are utopian dreams but we can and should devote draft and FA resources to cleaning up the OL. If Tannehill comes back healthy, durable and mobile, let's see what he can accomplish with even an average OL instead of the bottom-dwellers he has been mostly accustomed to lining up behind (and peeing blood because of..)

Tannehill will be healthy and have a great year. I still support having a good back up. It depends how the draft falls. If we’re picking the 6th qb at 11 when there’s a guard sitting there or linebacker we can use with a better grade then we are idiots. If the 3rd qb in our board is there at 11 and has a better grade then any one in a position of need then we’re idiots not picking him.

If this f..ing idiotic team had drafted a QB every year we'd be good by now.

WTF?

Success rate for QBs drafted is very low. Since teams only carry 3 QBs, each QB drafted would get one season as the starter and one season on the bench to prove themselves before being pushed off the roster. How does that work?

Back
Top Bottom