Tannehill will not last an entire year. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill will not last an entire year.

This is based on the fact that tannehills bread and butter is on the run. I dont think he is a good pocket qb. But he is shown he can do the job as a run and shoot.

I just dont trust him to take some hits and staying on his feet. I wish i was wrong. Maybe iam and he comes back healthier than ever.

I just want them to have a backup plan.

If this was the best qb class in a while and we miss on it we going to regret it.

April is almost here.

The playoffs are still going on and we are thinking about the draft. OUCH

But think about it. There are now 28 teams thinking about the offseason and the draft just like us.

So we are not alone.

giphy.gif

Answer: But that was the point, that we draft tannehills successor now that there is a very good qb class....Maybe in the next 2 or 3 years the qb class is not going to be as strong as this year.

This is the time to draft one really high and not miss.

We will not win the superbowl next year anyways....So i think we should draft hopefully a franshise qb....At least try now that we have a chance with the currect qb class.

What makes you think Miami could not win a Superbowl next year. This year if Miami had not lost Tannehill they would have at the very least taken Tennessee's spot in the playoffs, and done a much better job against the Pats...they might have even with some luck been off this weekend against the Jags.

What if the Rams had thought they had no chance of winning a SB when Dick Vermeil was hired, or teams like Raiders, and NY GIants,

Though the odds will be tough, you have to every year work the off-season in hope all goes well for you, and you get the right momentum.

First I would say the odds are fairly good RT will stay healthy this season, given his age, lack of injury history along with having a season off to rest his body. As far as drafting his replacement this year, hardly. I would think given Gases endorsement of RT when he came on board and the lack of coaching RT less than a year we won't see another viable option under center for another year. The real question IMO is how quick RT can come back after being off more than a year and a half from the game.

The real question IMO is how quick RT can come back after being off more than a year and a half from the game.

This team can't afford to have RT take half a season to get comfortable back playing. He needs to be ready to roll wk 1.

If Tannehill comes back healthy, durable and mobile, let's see what he can accomplish with even an average OL instead of the bottom-dwellers he has been mostly accustomed to lining up behind (and peeing blood because of..)

While I'm not a huge Tannehill fan, I do believe that he could be successful behind a tough, physical o-line with a strong running game. IMO, the reason they went to the playoffs after last season is because Tannehill went deep more often and had more success (as compared to throwing to Wallace), thus keeping the defense honest and opening up the running game for Ajayi. Forcing the defense to defend the entire field also opens up the middle for the shorter passes. However, Miami couldn't accomplish this on a consistent basis because the powers-that-be refuse to build a solid, dependable, physically dominating o-line, and the Coaches (Philbin and Gase) prefer the short pass over the run or the deep ball. If I were the owner, I'd tell my guys to quit trying to build a "finesse" o-line. It isn't working, so go old-school and replace the current line. And, scrap that dink-and-dunk garbage. If you can run the ball and go deep successfully, everything in between will be that much easier. Tannehill looked good rolling out and throwing deep, even though he was usually trying to escape pressure for a collapsing pocket. Having a real o-line should help considerably; I want to see Tannehill do that by design, not by necessity!

So let’s draft another qb who has no record of winning. Makes sense.

Anywhere in the first 3 rounds, I guess we will see if a QB falls to 11, but I doubt it. But no matter what this team needs a backup that can start and be the future eventually.

First of all i hope iam wrong, but i truly believe tannehill will not last an entire year. Just because of the injury.

So im hoping we draft a qb in the first round.

This year there is a very good qb class. why not take a chance this year that the odds of drafting a gem are very high.

We have only drafted a qb in the first round once since marino, and it worked out pretty well with tannehill until the injury. Tannehill wasn't a superstar but we won some games with him even though we never made the playoffs with him until he got hurt.

Again, Why not take a chance this year and draft a qb.

GO Phins.
I don't see why he shouldn't last an entire season, if the knee is healthy he should be fine.

To the second part of your question, I absolutely agree that we need a QB to develop behind RT, regardless of the status of his knee. If this year proved anything, is that a team can tank really fast from the lost of its starting QB....look at Green Bay. Now, do we draft one in the first round? probably not, will we draft one at all? who knows, but we better scour the earth to find some backups, I don't care if they come from the CFL.

You post implies if you were the GM, you would have given up on Marino after his first knee surgery (back when the surgery and recovery was way more risky and less of a sure thing). Hell, this puts you into the "not taking Brees because of his shoulder" camp too. How much money do you have down on the Colts moving away from Luck this year? Knees are a relatively safe repair and recovery these days, and Tannehills injury wasn't bad as far as knees go. But if we are to take your premise on face value, then how many of our other guys who are far more dependent on running on EVERY play and are recovering from knee surgery are you going to replace this draft?

Marino was great in the pocket....He almost never scrambled for yards.....

Tannehill is the opposite of marino.....Tannehill needs to scramble in order to survive in this league. Thats where iam afraid he will not last too much. Tannehill is a terrible pocket qb. Again...and Good on the run. Or as a run and shoot.

Brees is the opposite of tannehill as well. Brees is a very good pocket qb.

Marino was great in the pocket....He almost never scrambled for yards.....

Tannehill is the opposite of marino.....Tannehill needs to scramble in order to survive in this league. Thats where iam afraid he will not last too much. Tannehill is a terrible pocket qb. Again...and Good on the run. Or as a run and shoot.

Tannehill is not a terrible pocket QB. Just because he has needed to improve his comfort level in the pocket and continue to be more decisive . . . doesn't make him terrible at that.

And he clearly has worked hard to improve in that area. Give him a solid offensive line and a good running game, along with the ability he showed in 2016 to make teams pay for not respecting his accuracy and deep ball . . . . and you will continue to see gains by him.

But yea, he obviously shines when he is on the move. Where he has done that from day 1 from designed plays . . . he made leaps of improvement from an improvisational aspect in 2016. No it isn't elite or anything, but it is solid aspect of his game now and with his work ethic I wouldn't bet against it not improving.

No interest in giving up on him at this stage . . . unless there is some unexpected funny business with his knee.

Back
Top Bottom