Team QB Rankings (prepare to wince Bills and Jets fans) | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Team QB Rankings (prepare to wince Bills and Jets fans)

Colorado Dolfan said:
The simple fact is that Culpepper at 65% is better than any starter we've had since Marino at 100%.

True, you do have a point there, excitement in understandable.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Culpepper is better than an QB to ever play for the Bills and any, except for Marino, to play for the Fins.

:sidelol: :sidelol: Dude, I dont think I can ever read anything you post and take it serious again.

Disnardo said:
Points taken, but "maybe" its easier to sack a pocket QB like Brad than Daunte? Unless the OL is a revolving door...

Also, Daunte threw 7 picks and had 3 fumbles in the games he lost. That's about 7 points per game if he threw picks and fumbled for TDs. We know that "if" that happened, why did the D allowed over 24 PPG still?

I think you misread the stat. Daunte was sacked more per game than Johnson. That was supposed to show that somehow the oline got better suddenly ... as did the defense. Only that raises the big question of WHY -- and the other related question about Daunte's leadership ability -- or lack of same. Daunte has not shown that he can lead his team to a win when things are going badly. He needs to step up and prove that he can.

Sorry to rain on the Fins' parade, but there were serious questions about Daunte's leadership, his ability to read defenses, and to make the big play in the clutch -- and this was before he was hurt and before he was traded to Miami. Only time will tell if he can do it.

Deep2Evans said:
:sidelol: :sidelol: Dude, I dont think I can ever read anything you post and take it serious again.

After your "terrorist" post regarding Canada a few moments ago, I don't exactly see where you have room to talk.

B-LO said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When Jim Kelly takes a dump in the morning, he drops more football talent into the toilet than Daunte Culpepper has ever had in his entire body. The only thing DC has in common with Marino is that they both have a habit of getting massacred in the playoffs.

Last year Culpepper had two GOOD games. And by good, I mean games where he wasn't completely awful. Against Green Bay and New Orleans. Of course, these were among the worst teams in the league, picking in the Top 4 of the NFL Draft. After his terrible season, he got hurt, and Brad Johnson won 6 games in a row. Not a coincidence.

Jim Kelly is the most overated QB since Terry Bradshaw. He was an average QB on a great team.

Deep2Evans said:

Like I care. I watched Kelly play. Don't you think it is funny that the #1 "compliment" of Kelly is that he played with a LB mentality.

He had a good arm but was terrible at reading defenses after the snap. He relied on a fast paced offense that got the defense off balance. It helped that he was surrounded by probowl talent.

Oh, and in the SBs, his choking could be heard all the way back in Buffalo.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Like I care. I watched Kelly play. Don't you think it is funny that the #1 "compliment" of Kelly is that he played with a LB mentality.

He had a good arm but was terrible at reading defenses after the snap. He relied on a fast paced offense that got the defense off balance. It helped that he was surrounded by probowl talent.

Oh, and in the SBs, his choking could be heard all the way back in Buffalo.
Wow, I know that you're bitter about having to watch Kelly own your franchise for the better part of a decade, but give him the respect he deserves.

In the three times he met Marino head-to-head in the postseason, the Bills won by double digits each time -- despite the fact that in every one of those years, Miami had a higher ranked defense.

B-LO said:
Wow, I know that you're bitter about having to watch Kelly own your franchise for the better part of a decade, but give him the respect he deserves.

In the three times he met Marino head-to-head in the postseason, the Bills won by double digits each time -- despite the fact that in every one of those years, Miami had a higher ranked defense.

He was a good QB in a great situation. He was surrounded by 4 or 5 potential HOF players (Reed, Thomas, Hull, Smith) and many great players (Richter, Wolford, Bennett, Talley). Name one HOF type player (other than Stephenson since his career was cut short) that Marino played with.

I'm not bitter, the way I look at it, if Buffalo selects Marino, they win 4 or 5 SBs. I can't imagine dealing with that. Now I just need to deal with four SB chokes.

B-LO said:

You put Marino in Kelly's place and the Bills would have won at least 2 of those super bowls. Marino carried mediocre teams into the playoffs on his shoulders in the twilight of his career. He was that good. He had some bad losses in the later years because the teams he drug to the postseason really had no business being there. Kelly was very good but was surrounded by big time players, most notably thurman thomas and bruce smith. Marino never had an impact player on defense like smith or a RB with thomas's talent. Those guys could take over a game.

muscle979 said:
You put Marino in Kelly's place and the Bills would have won at least 2 of those super bowls. Marino carried mediocre teams into the playoffs on his shoulders in the twilight of his career. He was that good. He had some bad losses in the later years because the teams he drug to the postseason really had no business being there. Kelly was very good but was surrounded by big time players, most notably thurman thomas and bruce smith. Marino never had an impact player on defense like smith or a RB with thomas's talent. Those guys could take over a game.

Hey, nobody is disputing that Marino was a better QB than Kelly. He might have been the best that ever was, but that still doesn't make Daunte Culpepper better than Jim Kelly, which was FinfaninBuffalo's claim.

Culpepper hasn't shown that he's anything but a good passer in a pass happy offense featuring one (and sometimes 2) of the all-time great receiving talents in the NFL.

muscle979 said:
The impact players on Buffalo's defense didn't matter. Like I said, in all three of their playoff matchups, Miami had a higher-ranked defense, yet Kelly still put up more points.

I think all you Dolphin fans are forgetting that Marino was a choke-artist in the playoffs. His numbers in the postseason are pretty bad. There is no proof he would've won a SB with Buffalo. He probably would have ignored the running game completely (Kelly was allowed to call his own plays; I'm sure Marino would have had the same privilege) and, of course, he couldn't win on the road in January, either.

Like Esiason said, he was just like Peyton Manning. Huge regular seasons, but mediocre when it mattered in the playoffs.

B-LO said:
The impact players on Buffalo's defense didn't matter. Like I said, in all three of their playoff matchups, Miami had a higher-ranked defense, yet Kelly still put up more points.

I think all you Dolphin fans are forgetting that Marino was a choke-artist in the playoffs. His numbers in the postseason are pretty bad. There is no proof he would've won a SB with Buffalo. He probably would have ignored the running game completely (Kelly was allowed to call his own plays; I'm sure Marino would have had the same privilege) and, of course, he couldn't win on the road in January, either.

Like Esiason said, he was just like Peyton Manning. Huge regular seasons, but mediocre when it mattered in the playoffs.

Sure.... choked...It was Marino's fault in 1990 when his offense only scored 34 points (too bad the defense allowed 44). It was Marino's fault in 1992 that the Bills rushed for 182 yards and held the ball for over 36 minutes. It was Marino's fault when SD held the ball for 40 minutes in 1994. It was Marino's fault in 1995 when Miami's defense gave up 341 yards rushing to the Bills in the playoffs.

Marino's only fault is getting a flawed team into the playoffs again and again. Eventually teams figured out that the only way to stop Marino was to not let him on the field. With Olivadotti's defense, that was possible.

How can you Bills fans say that Culpepper has no talent? Look at FinFaninBuffalo's sig and that is all you need. Culpepper is statistically the most acurate QB of all time, has one of the strongest arms in football, is incredibally mobile and has had MVP type seasons.

Go ahead and talk about his injury and his dismal 2005 season, but don't say he is not a good QB because that only displays your blatent ignorance.

Truth is, Culpepper has more talent in his little toe on his left foot, than all 3 Buffalo QBs combined.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
How can you Bills fans say that Culpepper has no talent? Look at FinFaninBuffalo's sig and that is all you need. Culpepper is statistically the most acurate QB of all time, has one of the strongest arms in football, is incredibally mobile and has had MVP type seasons.

Go ahead and talk about his injury and his dismal 2005 season, but don't say he is not a good QB because that only displays your blatent ignorance.

Truth is, Culpepper has more talent in his little toe on his left foot, than all 3 Buffalo QBs combined.

Who's saying DC has no talent? I'm not. I said there are questions about him, questions that have been around going back to 2003 and 2004. These involved his ability to read defenses, make good decisions, and make the team better than it was (ie, leadership). These questions were magnified by Culpepper's poor play in the beginning of 2005, his injury, and the subsequent play of the team under Brad Johnson.

Now, maybe better coaching, a new situation, even his injury, may make Culpepper a better QB by getting him to focus on the mental part of the game which separate great QBs from good QBs no matter what kind of stats they put up, but there's no guarantee that's going to happen.

I think Culpepper's gotten by mostly on his talent in the past, and the situation he was in allowed him to do that. He always had the luxury of at least one world-class receiver. He played in the notoriously weak NFC North where the only good D team has been the Bears. Mike Tice apparently allowed Daunte to do pretty much whatever he wanted while holding tighter reins on the other Viking players. Coming to the AFC, especially the AFCE, is going to force DC to work a lot harder at being a good QB than he ever had to do in the past which raises the question of will Daunte be willing to do that in his eighth year in the league?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinzua said:
Now, maybe better coaching, a new situation, even his injury, may make Culpepper a better QB by getting him to focus on the mental part of the game which separate great QBs from good QBs no matter what kind of stats they put up, but there's no guarantee that's going to happen.

The Vikings (including Daunte Culpepper) have been extremely inconsistent. The entire organization has been a mess:

- Controversy between Dennis Green and the owners
- Departure of Dennis Green
- Sudden retirement of Robert Smith
- Randy Moss hysteria
- Cris Carter/Randy Moss hissy fits
- Unbelievably bad defenses
- Sometimes nonexistent running game
- Running out of time on their first round pick two years in a row
- Love boat scandal
- Whizzinator

The Vikings have been a constant source of distractions.

"Good" QBs don't throw 39 TDs in a season. Only 3 QBs in the history of the NFL have thrown more (and even they didn't do it often).

Back
Top Bottom