Ten FA's That Fit The Dolphins Future | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ten FA's That Fit The Dolphins Future

Patriots game I believe. When I looked closer at that game, I just wasn't that impressed with what I saw. And yet that was supposed to be the marquee game that turns a 7th round pick into a guy we bet the franchise on. Just doesn't add up for me. If you want one game, what Caleb Hanie did in the 4th quarter of that NFC Championship Game showed more than what Flynn showed in that Patriots game, mistakes and all.

hell no i wouldn't bet the franchise on him...none of these guys would change my mindset of using my top pick on a qb in 2012 when i was acquiring their services...but for a 5th round pick i'd probably be willing to see what flynns got going forward

i don't see the harm...but i guess i see him having more upside than you do

I'd just assume keep the 5th round pick, find someone I thought played better, one that preferably doesn't cost me anything.

Patriots game I believe. When I looked closer at that game, I just wasn't that impressed with what I saw. And yet that was supposed to be the marquee game that turns a 7th round pick into a guy we bet the franchise on. Just doesn't add up for me. If you want one game, what Caleb Hanie did in the 4th quarter of that NFC Championship Game showed more than what Flynn showed in that Patriots game, mistakes and all.

And yet, word came out recently that Mike Martz doesn't like Hanie, and wasn't impressed with his performance. I think this really reveals the reality that one decent looking surprise relief appearance doesn't equate to a career as a starter.

And yet, word came out recently that Mike Martz doesn't like Hanie, and wasn't impressed with his performance. I think this really reveals the reality that one decent looking surprise relief appearance doesn't equate to a career as a starter.

Enter Tyler Thigpen . . . always looks good in relief duty but just never puts it together for a whole game because he is easy to game plan against.

These QB relief appearances by these no name guys with minimal film scare the hell out of me. You gotta think none of those guys are on the table . . . more than likely, the Fins want somebody who "can" provide a threat to Henne, and not just push him, somebody who has started in this league and won't cost them anything . . . including the likes of Hasselback, Bulger, Young, Smith, Jackson and heaven forbid Kerry Collins. Orton or Palmer for a 3rd would have to be tempting as well . . . Kolb and a first is a no go. Really, no pretty names out there . . . just guys who in all honesty probably won't unseat Henne, and honestly, aren't a given to be upgrades over him either.

Enter Tyler Thigpen . . . always looks good in relief duty but just never puts it together for a whole game because he is easy to game plan against.

These QB relief appearances by these no name guys with minimal film scare the hell out of me. You gotta think none of those guys are on the table . . . more than likely, the Fins want somebody who "can" provide a threat to Henne, and not just push him, somebody who has started in this league and won't cost them anything . . . including the likes of Hasselback, Bulger, Young, Smith, Jackson and heaven forbid Kerry Collins. Orton or Palmer for a 3rd would have to be tempting as well . . . Kolb and a first is a no go. Really, no pretty names out there . . . just guys who in all honesty probably won't unseat Henne, and honestly, aren't a given to be upgrades over him either.

Thigpen had absolutely no chance in his one start against the Bears. Going from third-string to starting in a game just 4 days away in a miserably mediocre offense against a top defense has that effect.

Nobody ever said the dude is for sure a starter. But Mike Martz is very...specific...about which QBs he likes and doesn't like.

You guys realize that the salary cap is coming back, right?

Every time I see the sentiment that a Matt Hasselbeck "won't cost anything"...I mean the guy TURNED DOWN an offer of $7 or $8 million.

You guys realize that the salary cap is coming back, right?

Every time I see the sentiment that a Matt Hasselbeck "won't cost anything"...I mean the guy TURNED DOWN an offer of $7 or $8 million.

Exactly, and I have a feeling the market could be greatly affected by Carson Palmer actually going nowhere and the Eagles asking way too much for Kolb. I think it is very possible Kolb stays in Philly. It is also very possible Orton stays in Denver. Even Bulger could end up costing a pretty penny.

Signing Hasselbadback would cost us the ability to sign other free agents that would help the Dolphins going forward.

I think the best move for the future is to just sign a good young athletic prospect to be our #2 for years to come, and draft an NFL ready QB in 2012.

I'd just assume keep the 5th round pick, find someone I thought played better, one that preferably doesn't cost me anything.

Agreed. You never know when a talented (but risky-to-pick) player falls late into the draft. No need to throw away a pick for a player when you have other options available for nothing. The only situation I would give away picks for a player is IF I was absolutely sold on the player I was acquiring (leaving less to chance and more on what I felt in my own personal evaluation). Hopefully Miami explores more of the 'for free' options out there.

Agreed. You never know when a talented (but risky-to-pick) player falls late into the draft. No need to throw away a pick for a player when you have other options available for nothing. The only situation I would give away picks for a player is IF I was absolutely sold on the player I was acquiring (leaving less to chance and more on what I felt in my own personal evaluation). Hopefully Miami explores more of the 'for free' options out there.

usually qbs that you are absolutely sold on aren't available in trade...and the ones you can get for a mid to late pick the team they're currently with isn't all that warm and fuzzy about their long term outlook

usually qbs that you are absolutely sold on aren't available in trade...and the ones you can get for a mid to late pick the team they're currently with isn't all that warm and fuzzy about their long term outlook

I apologize if I wasn't very clear. What I meant about being sold on a QB isn't necessarily what I think you interpreted it as meaning. I was talking about from a personal evaluation standpoint, meaning if I pegged a guy maybe during the draft process a few years back as someone I really had a good feeling about (but didn't have the resources or chance to select that player where I felt he should be selected) I may look into trading for that player when he became available. Hence, I'd be willing to part with the resources (assuming they are not of the high variety) to secure a player I felt pretty sold on at a previous point in time. I hope that helps clarify what I was getting at (though still feel free to disagree if you do not share my opinion haha).

I give D. Stanton or Haine a try if we couldn't get a real good vet. but we also kept Thigpen I think most can argue he is as good as them and that isn't saying much. So be happy with Henne unless something like a QB with decent starting history drops in our laps and enjoy the season. Let's just hope Henne has a pretty good year and a team overall to have a decent year.

mathias kiwanuka
Bradshaw
M. Bush
Barnes
Can't think who else at moment
Some pick ups I would try to do in FA

I'
5. Marc Schiechl OLB Another OLB?? Ya, Moses is a free agent and Ike isn't very good. Schiechl is crazy strong and consistently runs in the 4.6's. He is the Div 2 all time sack leader. He has good size and is smart as a whip.

I don't see why not. Moses has proven himself to be awful time and time again, and Ike is just... meh.

I'm basing my choices on these assumptions: Crowder,Sapp,Culver,and Berger will be traded or cut. I think there may also be another surprise cut or two as well. I don't see the cap being raised much from the former amount but with Ricky,Ronnie,Penny, and the others not returning, the Dolphins should have some cap space to work. Ross has made a few mistakes but his pockets are very very deep and he is on record saying he is willing to spend.

The Dolphins defense was ranked 6th last year and we aren't losing any starters except, hopefully, Crowder. With a little help from a couple free agents, I really believe we could contend for the #1 spot. Brady must be stopped, and that means pass rushing. I am on the move Misi bandwagon. I think Misi could become an elite Mike LB. I think we can find better pass rushers to play outside, but Misi's skills appear to indicate he should be an excellent blitzer coming up the middle. Doesn't take much to beat out Crowder at this or pass coverage.

1. Mathias Kiwanuka OLB. Risky? Maybe, but he is a perfect fit across from Wake. Expensive? maybe, but next year's draft class looks atrocious. Now is the time to make this move! Kiwanuka was a tweener in the Giants 4-3, I think he would make a seemless transition to the 3-4. He is the best pure pass rusher in this year's, and very likely next year's free agent class as well. Doubt Lawson will be available, but he would also fit nicely.

2. Travis Laboy OLB. When healthy, a very good situational pass rusher.

3. DeAngelo Williams RB. We have all read the pro's and con's here, but the bottom line is; DeAngelo is the best RB in free agency and he would be a perfect compliment to Daniel Thomas.

4. Mario Harvey ILB Can anyone please tell me why this kid wasn't drafted?????????

5. Marc Schiechl OLB Another OLB?? Ya, Moses is a free agent and Ike isn't very good. Schiechl is crazy strong and consistently runs in the 4.6's. He is the Div 2 all time sack leader. He has good size and is smart as a whip.

6. Mike Huey OG/
/http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69088&draftyear=2011&genpos=OG
Huey missed most of last season but prior to his injury was doing very well for himself and his team. He showed extraordinary athleticism at his pro day. He could very well be the future at LG.

7. Derrick Locke RB. Why not try to sign him? He might beat out sheets or Hilliard.

8. Drew Stanton QB This guy dramatically improved his game the last couple of years and it showed in a couple come from behind victories last season for the Lions. He has earned #2 status in the NFL IMO.

9. Matt Moore QB Could be a real bargain. He may have been dragged down by a really bad situation in Carolina. He is still young and could yet be of value.

10. Blaine Sumner DT. 49 reps is bold freakish, and a 9'5" broad jump for a guy weighing 335 lbs. is just shocking. Ya, make this a priority signing. I can't believe guys like this were not drafted. This guy attended CO School of Mines, a brainiac school, he can learn to play NT in a 3-4 in probably one year on the PS or the bottom of the 53 man roster.

Love to get some input on these guys. Who would you take instead???

Yuck, I hate em all...

Here's who I'd like to see in a Dolphins uniform, and some alternates if money is a problem:

Yanda (May be available not because of Baltimore's belief he's not worth the cost, but because, like most good teams, they budget per units and offensive line also has Gaither as a free agent. Baltimore is probably not willing to sign both at their market value. Atlanta is in the same boat with Blalock and Dahl. Dahl may be available and at a reasonable price. Joseph and Nicks will be too expensive and probably resign with their current teams.)

Barnes (probably the best "bang for your buck" of any free agent consideration for the Dolphins)

Bradshaw (Other choices would be Oakland's Bush or Sproles. A cheap and unsatisfying alternative might be Snelling of Atlanta. I believe Deangelo Williams is too old and injury prone)

Hasselback (Best option for a bad situation. No trading high draft picks. Palmer will not be had for less than a 2nd)

There will be no TE. Only one worth signing who fits as Fasano's compliment, Zach Miller, will be resigned by Oakland. Although, if signed by the Dolphins, he would do more to uplift this offense than Hasselback, one of the RB possibilities, or offensive line ones. Daniel Owens would be a crap shoot. If the Dolphins have a shot at Zach Miller, I'd sign him first. Then sign an interior lineman for depth, a RB to compliment Thomas (resign Williams if need be), and whatever QB is left available and least likely to disrupt the locker room (no Vince Young).

Back
Top Bottom