Ten FA's That Fit The Dolphins Future | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ten FA's That Fit The Dolphins Future

Miami has $12 million of salary cap space. How do you propose to fit Marshall Yanda, Antwan Barnes, Ahmad Bradshaw and Matt Hasselbeck into that tiny $12 million space?

Miami has $12 million of salary cap space. How do you propose to fit Marshall Yanda, Antwan Barnes, Ahmad Bradshaw and Matt Hasselbeck into that tiny $12 million space?

They can't. I never said they could. They're just players I'd like to see the Dolphins try to sign. They're going to have to make one or two players a priority and adjust for the other position needs. For instance, Yanda, Barnes, Michael Bush, and Drew Stanton. Or Dahl, Barnes, Bradshaw, and Grossman. As you can see, I like Barnes for a situational pass rusher very much. And I don't think the QB choice is going to matter a hill of beans.

Sims is terrible and way too small to replace Crowder's role in the 3-4. If Sessions is allowed to walk I see Detroit signing him.

I tell you what Sidney Rice and Vincent Jackson are some big swingin richards at that position, any team would be lucky to have them. It's almost too bad Miami's not in the market for a receiver because there are some pretty good talents available via free agency.

I recently read that they're about $24 million under right now but that isn't accounting for Paul Soliai's franchise tag and they will be about $12 million under when that counts.

I recently read that they're about $24 million under right now but that isn't accounting for Paul Soliai's franchise tag and they will be about $12 million under when that counts.

god thats a big chunk eater...if we were to get solai signed long term in camp would that $12 mil tag go away and then his cap hit be reflective of the new long term contract or are we set at that $12 mil number for this season either way???

I'm sure that'll come down significantly when Soliai gets his longterm deal. Personally, I wouldn't be too anxious to start using that money though. Langford and Wake need a new contract, Jake Long is coming up on the last few years of his deal, in the off chance that Henne somehow "gets it" this season, he is in the last year of his deal, just to name a few. If that money is used to give them long term deals, I'm all about it. If it is all used to sign FAs, I think we're going to be in trouble...

god thats a big chunk eater...if we were to get solai signed long term in camp would that $12 mil tag go away and then his cap hit be reflective of the new long term contract or are we set at that $12 mil number for this season either way???

Yeah, I think that's right. I think ideally the Dolphins would rather make Soliai earn it for one more year and then sign him to the big contract after this season but if they want to be active in free agency they might have to swallow that pill and give him the long term contract sooner, rather than later. I presume we're also going to be cutting a guy like Benny Sapp, but my guess is his contract is fairly minimal.

jake long signed for like 7 years and big money...he shouldn't be on our radar til the last year of his contract...get wake and solai signed up long term and make a decision on what you're gonna do with kendall langford next year...if he's not in your plans for a 5 year $35 mil deal at least trade him while you can acquire assets...he lands easy a 2nd rounder in trade

as for henne i wouldn't even think about him long term til after the season...he definitely wouldn't be keeping me from signing up someone else long term in house...i know that...or a free agent we covet

if the kid blows us away bravo...but i'm not holding my breath

I think so. That's one way they could create some more space.

Yeah, I think that's right. I think ideally the Dolphins would rather make Soliai earn it for one more year and then sign him to the big contract after this season but if they want to be active in free agency they might have to swallow that pill and give him the long term contract sooner, rather than later. I presume we're also going to be cutting a guy like Benny Sapp, but my guess is his contract is fairly minimal.

ideally...i think you're right...but we got some high end productive players coming up in the next year or so that we can't let get away...so if we can sign solai long term now and use more money on him now i think we should...

and if he gives another season like last year the price only keeps going up...its time to get proactive here unless his demands are astronomical

I think so. That's one way they could create some more space.

5 years $35 mil i think gets his attention...and before anyone else says it yes its risky but so are all of these 350 lb ballerinas...you got to step up or someone else will

i don't like that cap hit of $12 mil...we got to figure out a way to lessen that blow

I might consider getting a deal done with Soliai now before he plays in 2011, especially if once the CBA is ratified and you're allowed to hold team functions, you ask him to come in for a weigh-in and his weight and body fat are as good as you wanted or better. He claims he's been on some special workout retreat with other polynesians like Haloti Ngata this off season and that he's in the best shape of his career. If that's true, I'd reward him by giving him the long term deal.

Cameron Wake though, I'd hold off on that one. The guy just had a breakout year and is being hailed as the best 3rd/4th down rusher in the NFL. He's going to come back down to earth as teams double and triple up on him. He'll be 30 years old by the time this year's Super Bowl is played. You're definitely going to want to see how he does this year before you decide whether and how much to give him. You have the ability to franchise him in 2012 if you find that the contract negotiations haven't been going well and you want to keep him another year. That gets you to 2013 with him being nearly 32 years old...and if you feel like he's still got the juice and you want him here, I'm sure he'll be easier to sign by then. It's just wiser to hold off on him.

It's the same thing I was saying when everyone was all about giving Ronnie Brown a huge contract extension. It's no sin to hold off, see how he produces for you, see if he's worth it, franchise him if you need to and keep delaying the time when you need to decide to give the guy a sh-t ton of guaranteed money.

Back
Top Bottom