The Official 2008 Boston Red Sox Thread | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2008 Boston Red Sox Thread

With Manny contract up at the end of the year, and now the talk of how he wants to stay, do you think Theo will pick up his option for next year. I am almost sure we will if Manny is being Manny, especially given the fact we hold 2, 1 year options. This made me think of two other great Sox's players that Theo was right on with Johnny Damon and Pedro. Damon is now in decline, with 2 more years left and Pedro only started 59 games in the 3 years since he left the Sox after starting 92 in his last 3 years in Boston.

the difference between manny compared to pedro and damon is that we had future stars in the minros ready to take over there spot in 2 years or less...with manny there is no option in the farm system and even free agencey...i think u gotta give him a extension..i look for big numbers from him..i hope theo doesnt screw this 1 up

the difference between manny compared to pedro and damon is that we had future stars in the minros ready to take over there spot in 2 years or less...with manny there is no option in the farm system and even free agencey...i think u gotta give him a extension..i look for big numbers from him..i hope theo doesnt screw this 1 up

Pretty sure we won't give him an extension when the team holds a 20 million dollar option on 09' and 10'. Would Manny accept or would the Sox offer 3 years and 50 million at the end of the year. I think its much different because we can base our decisions on a year to year basis as opposed to commiting to 4 years.

Terry Francona got his extension. 3 years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3262241

"Terry Francona has done an outstanding job in managing the Red Sox over the last four seasons. This is demonstrated not only in the three playoff appearances and two World Series victories but also in the way in which he handles the demands of managing in Boston on a day-to-day basis, both on and off the field. It also represents a strong and sincere commitment by our ownership," general manager Theo Epstein said in a statement.

"Terry Francona has done an outstanding job in managing the Red Sox over the last four seasons. This is demonstrated not only in the three playoff appearances and two World Series victories but also in the way in which he handles the demands of managing in Boston on a day-to-day basis, both on and off the field. It also represents a strong and sincere commitment by our ownership," general manager Theo Epstein said in a statement.
About time and very well deserved.

Sox sign Bartolo Colon to a minor-league deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3262747

Well I totally like this move. I have always like Bartolo, although I am not sure what he has left at this point. Hopefully he comes back he can pitch like he did at the end of last year after he came back from the elbow injury. 13.2 inn, 3.95 era, 2 BB, 9 K's.

He deserves it. I feel like he has really grown into being a good manager and is very underrated right now in terms of the better managers in baseball. I still feel like he needs work epsecially on his bullpen management but that could be said about just about every manager in baseball. Good signing, I'm very happy with it.

Sox sign Bartolo Colon to a minor-league deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3262747

Well I totally like this move. I have always like Bartolo, although I am not sure what he has left at this point. Hopefully he comes back he can pitch like he did at the end of last year after he came back from the elbow injury. 13.2 inn, 3.95 era, 2 BB, 9 K's.

Absolutely love this deal. He'll make a little over 1 million bucks if he gets called up. This is the definition of low risk, high reward type terms.

Now not to rain on the parade but Colon hasn't been healthy since winning the Cy Young in 05. And he was pretty bad in limited starts in both '06 and '07. Word out of winter ball was his velocity is down to 88 to 91 and his secondary pitches were always average at best because he was a pure power pitcher.

Again I love the deal because it's for peanuts. I'd rather roll the dice with Colon and if he gives the Sox anything fine, then to spend big money and years on Loshe or Jeff Weaver. Hopefully of course we'll never have to see Colon because that will mean our 5 (plus Tavarez/Synder) are doing just fine.

Absolutely love this deal. He'll make a little over 1 million bucks if he gets called up. This is the definition of low risk, high reward type terms.

Now not to rain on the parade but Colon hasn't been healthy since winning the Cy Young in 05. And he was pretty bad in limited starts in both '06 and '07. Word out of winter ball was his velocity is down to 88 to 91 and his secondary pitches were always average at best because he was a pure power pitcher.

Again I love the deal because it's for peanuts. I'd rather roll the dice with Colon and if he gives the Sox anything fine, then to spend big money and years on Loshe or Jeff Weaver. Hopefully of course we'll never have to see Colon because that will mean our 5 (plus Tavarez/Synder) are doing just fine.

Hey Finkle where did you read the winterball reports on Colon? It will be interesting to see who grabs the 5th starters spot now. Are we gonna start Clay at triple A for sure now, which sounds good to me, we need his innings at the end of the year. I am positive they will hold him back a bit, he will only pitch around 180 innings no matter what. I would love to see Synder step in for a few months, I have always like that guy since we picked him up, seems to be willing to take any innings coming his way and doing the best with them while starting or relieving.

I think I read it on ESPN I really don't remember but I know scouts were very worried about his arm and loss of velocity. As for the 5th starter I think Clay will get it but the Sox will closely watch the workload with every pitcher. I doubt Beckett or Dice will go over 200 innings and the kids probably won't go more than 160 before the playoffs. I think between Tavarez, Synder, Masterson and someone else they will give the Sox 20 to 25 starts to help keep everyone fresh in Oct.

Bart pitched OK when he came back last season.I felt he pitched in some bad luck right before Mike made out his playoff roster. He's definitely lost some velocity on his fastball and will now have to "really pitch" to be effective.Signing him to minor league deal is a good move(can't hurt).

colon was nice sign...didnt cost them much..they said he has a clause in his contract that if he isnt in the majors by a certain time he can become a free agent..i would think that he wouldnt wanna be there past may...if he could be like 85 % of what he used to be i think i take that...as far as tito getting a new deal it is about time..i just wonde rnow when does coco get traded i hope we could add a new left in the bullpen or maybe a future catcher..i read in the herald that farrell said ardsma i think that is how u spell it lol the kid from the white sox had some good stuff,the sleeper this ST will be corey...if we can pitch like he did back in sept i thnik he ha a real shot of making the club

Anyone see Hank's comments today. Now that is funny. Waiting for 2nd city mentality.

Anyone see Hank's comments today. Now that is funny. Waiting for 2nd city mentality.

Of course I read his comments. I read everything the guy says. He's a quote machine and an absolute gold mine of dumb comments. I'm going to really love the Hankenstein era in New York. I'm about 70% convinced he's going to run that franchise into the ground.

But seriously, Hank is embarassing to the Yankee organization so far with his 2nd city mentality crap everytime he opens up his mouth. Which is fine with me because he's looking like a complete dope. He should really be above all of that but I think it's obvious that he's insane.

Random side note, I think it's beyond funny that Hank is bashing the Red Sox for their Red Sox Nation stuff, yet a good 2 years after Red Sox Nation phrase was born in 2004, the Yankees felt the need to come out with their own "Yankee Universe" phrase which shockingly has yet to catch on.

fundraising_tshirts_pink-1.jpg

Anyway let Hankenstein keep talking because really does anyone take anything he says seriously anymore?

Hank is one of the biggest d bags around and while his comments are a gold mine like Finkle said I'm already getting irratated by moronic statements. These are the type of comments I'm expecting to hear over the years as Boston continues their dominance.

sounds like he's trying to fire up the fanbase. That's all well and good, but it also shows you the reality of the fanbase and the yankee organization. Read into that what you will.

Back
Top Bottom