Top 10 Underrated Dolphins of All Time | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top 10 Underrated Dolphins of All Time

endorPHINS72 said:
I guess I always thought of Nat Moore as such a great player that I never considered him as underrated. He was so good for so long.

He always seems to be overlooked.Just look at the greatest WRs poll .He is not even listed.

Good list I must admit, but I don't think Welker should be on the top 10 nor would I consider him overrated.

endorPHINS72 said:
Here are a few of mine in no particular order. Feel free to throw in your choices as well. Thanks for reading!

Top 10 Underrated Dolphins of All Time

1. Oronde Gadsden - His last days with the Dolphins ended ugly, but the guy could catch anything thrown in his zip code and he was phenomenal at the fade in the endzone. I dare you to name a Dolphin with a better pair of hands.

2. Jim Kiick - Although Csonka and Mercury Morris got most of the credit for the Miami running game in the glory years, Kiick was a very valuable player and an integral part in our Super Bowl years of 1972 and 1973.

3. "The No Name Defense" - At first I was going to go with Bob Matheson, the integral part of Miami's "53" defense, but I realized that none of the members of that defense were household names. These guys were the most unselfish and talented defensive group nobody can name.

4. Don Strock - This guy backed up Bob Griese, David Woodley and Dan Marino. In fact, Marino said that he learned a ton of stuff from Strock. The man was always ready to play. I really feel that if Coach Shula would have started Strock in the 1983 Super Bowl versus Washington, we would have won it.

5. Larry Izzo - This guy was a demon on special teams with the Dolphins and continues to be one with the Patriots. Even though he wasn't a starter, I was sad to see him go in 2001.

6. Mike Kozlowski - Although he was overshadowed by "The Bruise Brothers", Kozlowski had a knack for finding the football. I always liked him as a kid.

7. Trace Armstrong - Although he was overshadowed by Jason Taylor, Armstrong was a tenacious pass rusher who never quit. Taylor and Armstrong both benefited from each other's presence. When he left for Oakland, he takes out a whole page ad in the Miami Herald thanking the Dolphins fans and wishing them the best. CLASS ACT!

8. Jim "Crash" Jensen - You want me to play QB? No problem? WR? No problem. RB? No problem. TE? Sure, why not? The guy was "Slash" before Slash was Slash, and a lot better at it.

9. Tony Paige - One of the best fullbacks in Dolphins history. The guy was a good pass blocker and receiver.

10. Wes Welker - Although he doesn't have explosive speed, the guy has the heart of a lion. Was asked to kick field goals and extra points for a game against the Patriots in 2004 despite not having kicked since high school and made all his attempts. Plus he returned a kickoff for a TD in 2004 against Baltimore and came one foot short of doing so against the Patriots in 2004. Unfortunately, his lack of speed may keep him from making the team this year.

HONORABLE MENTION: Steve DeBerg, Brian Walker, David Bowens, Jeff Zgonina, Yeremiah Bell, Leroy Harris, Benny Malone, Jimmy Cefalo, Freddie Solomon, Sammy Morris, Jeff Cross, Tom Vigorito, Mark Dixon (when healthy), Jeff Dellenbach, Ron Heller, Bernie Parmalee, Bruce Hardy, Jed Weaver.
Yeah, I like your honourable mentions Sammy and Parmalee.

endorPHINS72 said:
I was never a really big fan of Mark Higgs. He was decent, but I really don't know why Coach Shula never really tried to upgrade the RB position in the early 90s. And Bobby Humphrey was not the answer either. Bernie Parmalee was our best back during that time. In 1995, we could have drafted Corey Dillon and we went with Billy Milner instead.

Parmalee was good but he was more glorified because of the fact he came into the league after being a UPS driver etc. etc.

Thats all the announcers would ever talk about.

Dont get me wrong, he was good but remember that Mark came into the organization about 2 years before Bernie.

Mark wasn't ever really talked about that much, thats why I think he was way underrated.

The guy rushed for nearly 1,000 yards twice and would have if not for the fact that back then we had Dan throwing for like almost 4,000 every season. I think Mark gained what like 905 and 915. I know the 915 season he got cut short because of an injury.

So I think he deserves to be on a list because for the time he was here, he was the best back we had.

Terry Kirby while he was here just showed flashes but never did anything compared to Higgs rushing wise.

How about bryan cox

clear.gif

Bill Stanfill is ignored ever year for the Hall of Fame and he was always one of the team leaders in total sacks back in the early seventies when the Dolphins were winning Super Bowls. Vern Den Herder was another good DL and so was Manny Fernandez, these guys put constant pressure on the opposing QB and were one of the reasons the No Name Defense was ranked at the top every year. Jake Scott and Dick Anderson also get over looked when the vote for the Hall of Fame and they were two fo the best safeties in the game at that time as well. A.J. Duhe, John Offerdahl, Bryan Cox, Kim Bokamper, Bob Baumhower, Jeff Cross, Louis Oliver, Roy Foster, Keith Sims, Ferrel Edmonds and Fulton Walker need more props.

some thing none of us actually consider... Dan Marino! Every one puts guys like Montana, Elway and Staubach ahead of him due to the ring situation. Easily Dan is the most underrated Dolphin.

ezdunnit13 said:
Definitly O.J. and Orande!

Yep, OJ McDuffie deserves BIG-TIME props. He was clutch on 3rd downs.

OG also deserves props, I think what holds him back was his lack of speed. If he was even 50% close to Moss' speed he would've gotten big-time props for all of his circus catches and one-handers.

Bernie parmalee and Irving Fryar

We should have hung on to both of them, they both went on to kill the Dolphins in rematches with new teams.

Larry Izzo and Kieth Byars too.

If your going to let good players go make sure they don't stay in the AFC East.

I could not agree more with Oronde being #1 - I still love watching old game tape of him! Before we had Chambers I was missing him.....what about Nate Jacquet and Darryl Gardner? Bryan cox and Parmalee are extremely underrated as well, I agree. Wasn't Parmalee one of our coaches after he retired?

Back
Top Bottom