Top 10 Underrated Dolphins of All Time | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top 10 Underrated Dolphins of All Time

Keith Sims, was over shadowed by Richmond Webb, and he was a damn good guard. Also Tim Ruddy, was very solid for 8 of the 10 or so seaons for us. and i think Tim Bowens was vastly under rated for all that he did for as long as it did it

MARK CLAYTON! he should have been the best wr ever in nfl history [still my fav] had he applied himself.

even so, he had the td record in a season [18] untill rice broke it a few years later. he should be in the hall and should be mentioned with the greats more often. he could do
it all, long ball, over the middle, spectacular catch, run after catch, physical.......

and........... believe it or not............

DAN MARINO! yes, dan. there have been a few "greatest qb's" polls and articles around the net and in more than a couple, dan hasn't been mentioned.

the old "he never won a ring" thing seems to be the yak. which is rediculous.

but now, with peytons gimpy td record and several other of dans records in real jeoprody [you didn't think brett farve came back for the love of the game or because he has a real shot at a title now did you?] dan will far even farther off the map.

sad thing isn't it? with the writers and sports casters beeing so ny media biased and all the unfair fixation on the ring thing, this great player is becoming a forgotten item.
no bigger tragedy in the nfl. his game, his sportsmanship, the family man, the way he
gave back to the fans and to the south florida and pittsburgh communities , he just
deserves so much better!!! he truelly IS the greatest at his positon, and it is to bad
anyone should ever have to defend that!

but, he is dimming. and 5 years from now he will be a foot note in the nfl.

YEAH!! undrerated. did you ever think you would see that next to his name?

It's good to hear Don and Orande getting some props.

Strock played a key roll in Marino's early development. This type of veteran mentorship seems to be missing in today's NFL - probably due to increased roster turnover with the cap and free agency.

Orande was often underrated and had some of the best hands I've ever seen.

Overall, I liked this list.

steevieb22 said:
I would put Jon Geisler on the list. He went about his business quietly, but was rarely penalizes and gave up very few sacks. Should have been a pro bowler.

Nice post and I agree wholeheartedly!

Giesler was one of my favorite players growing up.

The guy was also known to play through quite a bit of pain.
I read where his last few years guys actually had to carry him around in the lockerroom because his knees were so bad after some games.

I haven't seen mention of 2 more players I think were very solid and underrated:

Bob Brudzinski and Doug Betters.

Trekbiz said:
Nice post and I agree wholeheartedly!

Giesler was one of my favorite players growing up.

The guy was also known to play through quite a bit of pain.
I read where his last few years guys actually had to carry him around in the lockerroom because his knees were so bad after some games.

I haven't seen mention of 2 more players I think were very solid and underrated:

Bob Brudzinski and Doug Betters.

I mentioned Brudzinski earlier shag, but I dont think you can say that Betters was underrated. Good but not underrated. Stanfil, Fernandez and Den Herder were probably not given as much credit as they deserved though.

I dunno if it's possile to be underrated on this site if you a a phin :lol:

I agree with Tony Paige. I remember him absolutely crumpleing Jr. Seau one time :D He's also rarely mentioned in all time teams in favor of Kieth Byers.

Crash is my favorite of all time, but, anyDolphin fan knows all about him.

clear.gif
Tommy Vigorito:dolphins:

I think right now I would put Zgonina way up there. For the last 3 years, 90% of this board has him getting cut in training camp. While every game he plays he simply does great in.

IMO Jenson, Wes and Izzo get their respect. Izzo has been to pro bowls as a special teamer and Wes and Jenson are always rated high. Maybe not as high as our fans would like, but especially Jenson. He was always spoken of as a true team player and rated very high by broadcastors who were showing our games.

Whitedolphin54 said:
I mentioned Brudzinski earlier shag, but I dont think you can say that Betters was underrated. Good but not underrated. Stanfil, Fernandez and Den Herder were probably not given as much credit as they deserved though.

Didn't see your Bru post.

As for Betters, I guess I took the question more as which Dolphins were underrated in NFL circles rather than just by Dolphin fans. I guess I miss read it. He wasn't underrated by Dolphin fans but I do think he was underrated outside of the miami fan base.

Other names you mentioned were good ones as well.

Since we are talking about cousins, Larry Izzo is my wife's distant cousin. I've never met him but I have met his parents at a wedding. It was actually kind of awkward. A mutual cousin, knowing that I was a huge Dolphin fan, decided that it was necessary that we meet. He brings them over and introduces them as the Izzo's. Coming from an Italian-American family that name doesn't necessarily jump off the page. So I'm figuring its just another relative. They are staring blankly at me and I'm staring blankly at them until the cousin tells them I'm a big dolphin fan. His Dad is like "oh how nice" and I'm still trying to figure out why I need to meet these people. The cousin sensing the confusion says "These are the Izzo's as in Larry Izzo's parents". It finally clicks for both of us but the only problem was that Larry had already moved on to the Pats like 2 years earlier.

Anthony D. said:
excuse me underrated

Underrated by definition for me.....10 names

Curtis Johnson
Bernie Parmalee
Larry Sieple
Jon Giesler
Tim Foley
Eric Laakso
David Griggs
Keith Sims
Earl Morrall