We’d be crazy to go into next season without 2 competent QB’s | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We’d be crazy to go into next season without 2 competent QB’s

Tannehill and Moore.

Hell no, Moore is a free agent so he can bounce, and whether Tannehill is here or not I want on a young promising potential franchise QB on the roster, I don't care what round we take him, Day 1/Day 2, just get him.

Last time I checked there were 32 teams, and there are still teams out there looking for a decent QB. I think there's only maybe 20 NFL caliber starters out there. Thinking you are going to get anything but a career backup after the 1st round is just wishful thinking. (IMHO) I am still astounded that Moore has been here as long as he has, and still can't set protections. WTF does he do in the meetings?

Last time I checked there were 32 teams, and there are still teams out there looking for a decent QB. I think there's only maybe 20 NFL caliber starters out there. Thinking you are going to get anything but a career backup after the 1st round is just wishful thinking. (IMHO) I am still astounded that Moore has been here as long as he has, and still can't set protections. WTF does he do in the meetings?

And thinking R1 QBs haven't been picked over for instant starters is wishful thinking. And even then, odds are less than 50-50. Yes, get a QB, but not R1 with so many needs

You are right, GW. 1st round QB's are still a crapshoot.. I also agree we need too many other players to invest in a QB so soon.

4-5% to hit on an elite QB in the mid-rounds is actually really good odds. One in 20 years, which is better than the way we've been doing it (the wrong way).

Fans complain when you don't come away with 3 starters out of 7 draft picks. You aren't going to win wasting 19 out of 20 draft picks on players that will never see the field. My caveat is that it isn't blind luck, and if you scout well, you might actually ID that mid-round value QB. The Kirk Cousins or Dak Prescott in a sea of Tom Savages. But do you guys trust the much maligned staff of Dolphins scouts to correctly divine the mid round gem???

Fans complain when you don't come away with 3 starters out of 7 draft picks. You aren't going to win wasting 19 out of 20 draft picks on players that will never see the field. My caveat is that it isn't blind luck, and if you scout well, you might actually ID that mid-round value QB. The Kirk Cousins or Dak Prescott in a sea of Tom Savages. But do you guys trust the much maligned staff of Dolphins scouts to correctly divine the mid round gem???

You mean like the other staffs who passed on Brady et al? There's a reason an overwhelming number of mid round picks fail. No staff has been able to do it. Luck, yes. Skill, not so much.

Can someone explain to me what Tannehill needs to prove? I feel like it's clearly evident that he himself made this offense looks somewhat functional. And that was in his first year. He took a mediocre team to the playoffs. That's proving something in my eyes. Invest in lineman and prevent the guy from getting pummelled every third play instead of another Brandon doughty in the 4th round.

yall are hating on Mayfield in an era when your beloved Fins passed on a short qb TWICE, who obtw has set a shyt ton of rec’s and is on his what to the friggin HOF!!! not to mention 2x SB qb Russell Wilson!

cool. HATE the size. LOVE the game. or watch another team win with him. 3x stupid should be enough (actually 4x cuz we were 8th and shoulda taken Wentz).

Can someone explain to me what Tannehill needs to prove? I feel like it's clearly evident that he himself made this offense looks somewhat functional. And that was in his first year. He took a mediocre team to the playoffs. That's proving something in my eyes. Invest in lineman and prevent the guy from getting pummelled every third play instead of another Brandon doughty in the 4th round.

QB can be upgraded but it's w-a-a-a-a-y down the priority list.

So yall think dolphins will draft the right player. It doesn't matter if they draft og or MLB.. he will still be on bench... it same as drafting a qb. Thill17 have never been in playoff or probowl. Some said he played good last yr but he is big ???? To me..It will be up to GASE. We can say what we want but they will do what best for team..

Last edited:
You mean like the other staffs who passed on Brady et al? There's a reason an overwhelming number of mid round picks fail. No staff has been able to do it. Luck, yes. Skill, not so much.

I'm not advocating for a mid-round QB. I always feel you simply follow your board, and any QB that drops past the 2nd round has some question marks and is very unlikely to contribute. But it isn't completely blind luck. Some scouting departments are better than others, and they will hit at a higher than average rate. Others at a lower than average rate. I just think it's funny that people bitch about our scouting department, but then promote the idea that we should make what is already a very low percentage payoff pick with those scouts doing the eval. And I actually think the evals the last few years have been ok. If the right QB drops, I can see taking one. But I don't think you can go into the draft hellbent on that. I wouldn't take a mid round QB just out of need. Mid rounds, you really need to be going BPA as best you can to maximize your hit rate.

I'm not advocating for a mid-round QB. I always feel you simply follow your board, and any QB that drops past the 2nd round has some question marks and is very unlikely to contribute. But it isn't completely blind luck. Some scouting departments are better than others, and they will hit at a higher than average rate. Others at a lower than average rate. I just think it's funny that people ***** about our scouting department, but then promote the idea that we should make what is already a very low percentage payoff pick with those scouts doing the eval. And I actually think the evals the last few years have been ok. If the right QB drops, I can see taking one. But I don't think you can go into the draft hellbent on that. I wouldn't take a mid round QB just out of need. Mid rounds, you really need to be going BPA as best you can to maximize your hit rate.

I have NO disagreeme t with that. 1st 3 rounds draft need. But remember, every team misses more than hits after day 1 so evaluation isn' THAT good

I have NO disagreeme t with that. 1st 3 rounds draft need. But remember, every team misses more than hits after day 1 so evaluation isn' THAT good

I wasn't meaning to infer that. If a bad scouting department is hitting at 5% in a given round a good might be 10%. Still low odds. There are only so many good football players, and all the more so with QBs. And IMHO the hit rate on QBs after round two is alot lower than other positions, which makes it an even costlier gamble.

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me what Tannehill needs to prove? I feel like it's clearly evident that he himself made this offense looks somewhat functional. And that was in his first year.

His first year he had a 76.1 QB rating and only threw 12 TDs in 16 games running the same offense he had in college, good for 27th in the league, his rookie year was pretty unimpressive to say the least.

He took a mediocre team to the playoffs. That's proving something in my eyes.

I'm not so sure we make the playoffs had Matt Moore not taken over, he led us to back to back road division wins, especially in Buffalo where Tannehill is 0-4, does he get us to 34 points against the Bills? We needed every point to win that game.

Invest in lineman and prevent the guy from getting pummelled every third play instead of another Brandon doughty in the 4th round.

4th is too late.

Back
Top Bottom