What gase said on Friday via pb post | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What gase said on Friday via pb post

Fins need a new offensive coordinator in the offseason. Gase needs to focus on just being the HC period.

You ever think of this?

Maybe our players just aren't very good.

I think the saddest part of this situation is that, as fans, we watch the team come out flat every week, looking unmotivated, unprepared, almost disinterested. We mention it here in the forums, but we can’t truly know it to be the case.

Well, now Gase has actually confirmed it. These guys don’t have enough pride in their work to be ready to play. They see the repeated poor starts, but somehow we do just enough to win, and they think they’re good enough to win without the extra effort.

And this is why when they play a team like Baltimore or New England, they get stomped.

It just became even more difficult to root for this current squad of players. You really have to feel for guys like Wake, who give everything they have for this team.

First carry of the last drive Kenyan Drake bounces it outside the #s when it should be between the tackle and tight end. Instead he’s trying to go outside of the flex tight end and inside the boundary wr. Gets strung out gains nothing

I’m so tired of watching this guy not take the ball where it should

God I want to trade that so damn bad

God dang combo block by the tackle is the gap the ball should go in and it’s gonna spring large with how deep the safety is if he just takes the damn thing where he should.

Get rid of this guy.
Those late in the game plays feeding Drake the ball were his opportunity to show what he could do. For all his vaunted Saban Alabama pedigree and natural athleticism, Kenyon Drake appears a big time disappointment and hasn't seized the limited opportunities that he's been given. Gase has also hinted at problems with Drake last season when he does his own thing rather than follow his assignment and we know that like Ajayi, he's a hot head with discipline issues. I expect that Kenyon Drake is one of the players being called out by the coach. In fact, all of the RBs - Ajayi, Williams and Drake, plus their position coach, Danny Barrett, are probably on the hot seat. Barrett came to Miami from the Central Florida Knights college head coaching role in Orlando. He was a pretty unusual appointment but had some success in developing Ajayi last season.
Gase has been trying over and over again this season to get the running game working and it has generally failed. Some is on the O-line, but it sounds like he's really pissed at the RBs. It is also significant that Ajayi spent time launching his clothing brand YURP during the London trip. In fact, a string of the players, including Landry, Parker, Stills, Drake and Senoris Perry were photographed with Ajayi at the London YURP launch with fashion and music celebrities. (Gase probably saw the pics, you can google them - YURP clothing). While it didn't get much attention here on FH, I raise this just to highlight this was another game when we lost badly and the pretty boys on the team were out enjoying themselves rather than focusing on their playbook in preparation for the Saints game.
Gase talked about homework. My guess is that Gase probably views the whole Ajayi brand/label as a big time distraction from the task of getting the running game working.

Last edited:
What are the chances he will EVER find players that learn his playbook?

When you make a scheme so complicated that only 10 people on the planet can figure it out, you need to reevaluate that scheme.

It's football not rocket science. Stop trying to make it rocket science and get the fundamentals down.

Our fundamentals suck because he is too worried about cramming quantum physics into brains that can only handle basic trig.

It is generally accepted that a new coach either brings in his scheme and fits the players to it, or they design their scheme around their players skill sets. Now if Gase is saying this is my scheme and I only want players that can execute it, then you have to give him the backing and make the changes. The front office can’t say to him “no we aren’t doing that so change your scheme”. You have to back your coach to do his job and if you aren’t willing to do that then you change your coach.

I do agree that he needs to reevaluate his scheme. I’m one of those that believes you should design your scheme around your players strengths. For example, you wouldn’t go into Carolina and ask Cam Newton to throw the ball fifty times like Drew Brees, he’s not that kind of quarterback, instead you ask him to throw thirty to forty times and run the ball. It’s common sense that you fit your scheme around the players, or at least until you can bring in more players that are suited to what you really want to do. So as far as I’m concerned Gase needs to find a way to make it work with these players, and if at the end of the season he’s still unhappy then make changes.

I feel for Gase but I don't get the sense he has a plan to turn things around. You can't cut players or bench them you've got no depth. So his hands are somewhat tied other than calling out players publicly. Hope that works otherwise he will lose the locker room.
And I really like his up front no BS talk.

I don’t see Gase being fired at the end of this season, so he could give greater opportunities to the players on the depth chart. Realistically this is looking like a lost season since the quarterback position is terrible and we aren’t going to win anything without decent quarterback play - unless our defense plays to an elite level and Ajayi finds his form from last season and we try to bulldoze teams like the Jags are.

Obviously I don’t expect much from Drake and Williams, but if they do know the playbook better and can execute what Gase really wants to do, the Gase has a decision: stick with the superior player and adapt his scheme, or go for the lesser player that knows his scheme. Same goes for the likes of Carroo and Grant, if the know what to do better than Landry and Parker, give those guys more snaps when the offense is on the field. It’s not ideal, but like Gase said, they can’t really get any worse than they currently are (they could score less and produce less yards, but I’m not going to be that picky).

Hopefully this is a kick that these players need to improve. What I hope doesn’t happen is that these players don’t turn on Gase and use their power to force him out.

I appreciate his anger, as if he wasn’t upset there would a bigger problem. I also like Gase, and hope he is our answer, but the fact he has been dealing with his players not putting in effort for 1.5 seasons is alarming. You had all last year to evaluate this, and should have changed it in the offseason. I hate to compare to New England, but a guy not putting in the effort would be traded or cut in a matter of weeks. Being concerned if the fans like his moves was equally alarming. The only things fans care about in the NFL is winning.

I appreciate his anger, as if he wasn’t upset there would a bigger problem. I also like Gase, and hope he is our answer, but the fact he has been dealing with his players not putting in effort for 1.5 seasons is alarming. You had all last year to evaluate this, and should have changed it in the offseason. I hate to compare to New England, but a guy not putting in the effort would be traded or cut in a matter of weeks. Being concerned if the fans like his moves was equally alarming. The only things fans care about in the NFL is winning.

The cruel truth of the matter is that Gase -- or any other early-career head coach -- is more likely to have been promoted to his level of incompetence than to become one of the best head coaches in the league.

Just because lots of hullabaloo surrounded Gase's hiring doesn't mean this job isn't too big for him. The hullabaloo could've easily been off-base, like it's been for many in the past.

No he knows the fanbase is in pure love with Ajayi and Landry, for Ajayi I understand. But Landry I don’t.

Back
Top Bottom