What if Andrew Luck is Tim Couch? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if Andrew Luck is Tim Couch?

last game aside you could've fooled me. we sure have looked like an expansion team this year. as far as luck/couch comparison nobody knows if that is valid or not... not yet anyway.
Didn't you get the memo? The entire psychic friends network signed up as members of this website. They see things none of us see.....like Bigfoot and Elvis.

SCRAP you sir are the man. I loved your replys! Especially about "Before Leaf was drafted". If Luck is the next Manning lets take a look at the 6th rnd. We will find our Brady ;)

SCRAP you sir are the man. I loved your replys! Especially about "Before Leaf was drafted". If Luck is the next Manning lets take a look at the 6th rnd. We will find our Brady ;)
Thanks. Note: I am not necessarily implying that we really should draft a QB in the 6th. Just making a point. I have to clarify that before someone jumps me and claims that I am implying that all of the best talent comes later or that we should continue avoiding 1st round QBs.

People are taking guys like Couch, Smith, Leaf, etc., and trying to compare them to Luck, Barkley, etc. "Well, these guys in the past were busts so what if."

Ok, what if. Is it possible? Sure it is.

However, these QB's were from 10 years ago. Understand that the league has changed incredibly in just the past three years.

It used to be a no-brainer that you could say, "college success doesn't translate to NFL success."

And that's still true today, but it's less and less true.

Due to NFL rule changes which benefit the QB position and offensive production, the college game has GREATLY closed the gap on the NFL game. So today, you're seeing college QB's come into the NFL and make seamless transitions almost instantly. That's the difference here.

That's why Andrew Luck is not Ryan Leaf or Tim Couch or Akili Smith or Rick Mirer or Heath Shuler or whoever you want to name. The college game and the NFL have become very similar. The spread offense is here.

It's not worth replying to a guy who uses Leaf as an example but I will anyways because obviously you're not educated enough to know anything about Leaf.

Leaf, Couch, McNabb, Young, Leinart, Harrington etc were never in the same discussion as Luck the prospect is and it's not even close. Luck is compared to two guys only-- Manning and Elway. Those are the only "sure thing" quarterback prospects that has ever been discussed.

The only idiots who even made a comparison between Manning and Leaf are the media, and you all clearly bought into the hype of Leaf that the media gave. But it was no debate, Manning was the guy, by far.

Saying "d'oh he can be da next Leaf gais, he can be da next Couch" just shows a few things: you never watched Luck play, you never watched those other guys you mentioned play, and you're not educated enough to make a good argument and only use that repeated crap to make yourself feel better about losing the best quarterback prospect in DECADES. Instead of trying to talk about Luck's weaknesses, all you guys can come up with is "HE CAN BE COUCH". Stupidity beyond belief.

There's a reason why there will be teams offering the Colts up to 3-4 years worth of first round draft picks to try to grab Luck, but the Colts will do the smart thing and not accept it, as they get set for another decade and a half of excellence.

No team would do this for your little Harringtons, Leafs, Couch, or anything. They only do this for the next sure thing that is Andrew Luck. A guy who calls his own plays, is a leader, is poised, has all the physical attributes you look for in a quarterback (speed, mobility, arm strength, accuracy), intelligence about as high as Manning is, can lead a team from behind, can win big games, and most important of all, he is very accountable for his own mistakes.

You guys keep making the Couch/Leaf comparisons all you want, but it just shows you know nothing, and that you're stupid. But you will see next year when the Colts are on top of their division again.

There's a reason why there will be teams offering the Colts up to 3-4 years worth of first round draft picks to try to grab Luck, but the Colts will do the smart thing and not accept it, as they get set for another decade and a half of excellence.

See that just made you look like a complete retard. So teams offering 3-4 years of 1st round pics a fact? No its your dumb opinion. Why are you calling the non Luck supporter "Stupid " because we express our own opinion. All we are saying he can easily be a bust. The same way Mr.Luck can be winning 5 superbowls in a row he can be the guy we will be talking about in 2020 draft "Hey remember when that Luck kid had everything, the smarts, athleticism, arm strength and accuracy?" Unless you can see the future then you should not be assuming things. He is not a sure thing. The best bet to have success maybe, but a sure thing and win 14 wins his first season plus multiple superbowls! Yea thats just plain ignorance. Dan Marino did not win a superbowl.

Are you dear fans also implying Luck will be a better QB than Dan? Because apparently he will win multiple Superbowls! ;)

Btw, I prefer to offer 3-4 1st rounders ( with a few 2nd) for Rodgers. Would you do the same trade? So my question to you. If you had a chance of drafting Luck or getting Rodgers would you pull the trigger for Rodgers?

I don't think the comparisons used by the OP are very good. I think the logic has some validity. I don't think anyone can honestly say they've never been wrong about a prospect. I don't recall the media using some catch phrase when Rodgers came out. I think 23 teams actually passed on him. Rodgers did come into a tremendous situation in GB but obviously no one saw his true potential. Don't misinterpret, I am not saying you don't take a shot because a guy could bust out. I am simply saying that we could be missing a prospect that could come in and fill the role if Luck is not a possibility.

I am sure there are a lot of people who wanted Rodgers to be the pick that year, and I would be among that group. I don't think any of us knew he would progress like he has though, I certainly didn't see him becoming the best QB in the league.

I completely agree that Luck is the best prospect and not taking a shot at him would be idiotic. At the end of the day we have to realize it is somewhat of a pipedream. We aren't out of the Luck race yet, but how much of a shot did we really have to take it from Indy? You all may disagree, but I don't think we are as bad as Indy and barring a miracle, this whole getting Luck idea was going to come down to an attempted draft day trade all along.

I just think people thinking Andrew Luck is this "invincible" QB are mistaken . . . he isn't. And history has suggested that great QB prospects, including #1 overall picks, can easily be busts. There is definitely some more challenges I would like to see thrown at Luck going forward but he has been extremely impressive throughout his career, he is from Stanford so no questioning his intelligence and I love the mobility. Seriously he is like Aaron Rodgers . . . more developed than Rodgers was as a rookie but less arm strength. I don't think he will ever be as good as Rodgers, but that is an early unwarranted projection based on a hunch more than anything . . . either way to be in the same sentence as Rodgers is more than enough reason to have no worries about drafting the guy #1 overall or even trading a few picks for him.

And Luck supporters, get off the OP's nutsack. He didn't say he wouldn't draft Andrew Luck . . . clearly Luck is going to be considered the best QB "prospect" of the 2012 NFL draft and if Miami has the opportunity to draft them they should do everything within reason to take him. Where you guys fall short is thinking that he is the answer to all of our problems . . . he isn't and I think it is very premature to think we are guaranteed a bunch of future Super Bowls with him as our QB . . . we had the greatest pocket passer of all time and we never won the Super Bowl. Miami needs to get the right people in place from a front office, GM and coaching perspective (things they can control) and let the cards fall where they may. This is shaping up to be a very talented QB class, and just because we may miss out on the #1 guy, doesn't mean we can't find a guy to be the future at QB for the Dolphins and ultimately have more success than Andrew Luck in the NFL.

Just keep your minds open, and understand that it isn't the end of the world if Miami doesn't get a chance to draft Luck and it surely doesn't guarantee another decade of mediocrity. I hear **** like that and watch QB's all over the league, not nearly as hyped, enjoying success. The most important thing the Dolphins need to focus on is getting the right coaches and philosophy in place this offseason . . . and whoever you like at QB, take a shot on him.

I'm telling you guys, whether you're a "Suck for Luck" guy or not, if Suck for Luck wasn't such a catchy phrase, it wouldn't be nearly as discussed here or in the media. This whole "Suck for Luck" mantra has taken on a life of its own and gone viral to extremes. If his last name were Smith then he's just another guy who happens to be the best player in the draft and still the best available prospect in 30 years.

Suck for Luck is catchy and clever in a simple sense. It's ying and yang. It combines positive and negative in three simple words.

These guys are just trying to convince themselves that Luck has potential to bust. Don't worry, when Luck wins ROY, and has won the division/taking the Colts to the playoffs his first year next year, I will be the first to remind you guys while we're debating who do we draft with our Top 7 pick in 2013.

How is this any different than you convincing yourself that he has NO potential to bust???? He is a absolute guarantee! Now he is going to be ROY and go to the playoffs next year? Good Lord brother, clean the sticky off the Luck poster on your wall.......this is beyond ridiculous.

The logic used in some of these posts boggles the mind.

Says the guy who posted this logical gem....

Hurray. We won this meaningful game. We are 1-7 and I'm jumping for joy. I will remember this important win for years to come. Let me do my happy dance down gumdrop lane as I celebrate this incredible win with mr. Happy rabbit and his friends in wackyland. I'm having tea with the queen tonight and it should be a lovely time as we cherish this once in a lifetime win. Hurray!!!! We are 1-7. Time to sing and dance the happy song

It's not that we think that luck has zero chance to bust, it's that some people seem to think he has an equal chance to bust as couch, leaf, Carr, Harrington or akili smith

It's like if I said shaq and Lebron could of just as easily busted as pervis Ellison simply because they were all drafted one

I'm telling you guys, whether you're a "Suck for Luck" guy or not, if Suck for Luck wasn't such a catchy phrase, it wouldn't be nearly as discussed here or in the media. This whole "Suck for Luck" mantra has taken on a life of its own and gone viral to extremes. If his last name were Smith then he's just another guy who happens to be the best player in the draft and still the best available prospect in 30 years.

Suck for Luck is catchy and clever in a simple sense. It's ying and yang. It combines positive and negative in three simple words.

Definitely up for debate . . . but I would like people to realize, even having that title, it doesn't mean he will end up even being one of the best 30 players in the last 30 years. Being a better prospect than Rodgers, Brady, Manning and others does not mean being eventually the better NFL player . . . it just raises the percentages that he is "more likely" to end up being a better NFL player (compared to when those guys were prospects) . . . certainly doesn't guarantee it. Assuming drafting Andrew Luck is assuming guaranteed Super Bowls is a mistake and I agree the catchiness of "Suck 4 Luck" (the phrase) has made people overlook other things in the process.

The Dolphins need to change the culture of how they play football in the offeason. That starts with the people in charge and how they go into games. You get the right people in here I think we can win a championship with a number of QB's, obviously including Andrew Luck at the top of that list.

Back
Top Bottom