What if Andrew Luck is Tim Couch? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if Andrew Luck is Tim Couch?

Look, I get the hype surrounding Luck, I do. The kid has the goods. But remember Tim Couch? Who was supposedly the best QB in the class of 99 that included players like McNabb and Culpepper (late careers aside, these dudes were all-pros). The point is, as good as Luck seems know, until he's actually shown it in the NFL, we can't say he's a franchise QB. Also, remember David Carr? Mediocre at best. Alex Smith (Over Aaron Rodgers mind you)? Decent, but not great. Being the best QB in college doesn't always mean you'll be a great pro QB. Hell, Matt Leinart won a Heisman Trophy.

Let's not abandon ship because we think we might have blown a shot at a guy who has proven nothing other than the fact he is the best QB in college football.

Finally someone with brains. Luck can very well be Couch. Some people are to arrogant to know that.

Finally someone with brains. Luck can very well be Couch. Some people are to arrogant to know that.
What are the similarities between Luck as a prospect and Couch as a prospect that justify this comparison? And I'm talking football comparisons, not hype and anticipated draft position, which mean nothing.

These guys are just trying to convince themselves that Luck has potential to bust. Don't worry, when Luck wins ROY, and has won the division/taking the Colts to the playoffs his first year next year, I will be the first to remind you guys while we're debating who do we draft with our Top 7 pick in 2013.

When Luck is a bust and does not achieve anything I would look forward to your discussion ;).

There will be alot of ranting & screaming.

OK, Give me your next Jeopardy question for your category ... 5th Grade NFL Questions for $100

When Luck is a bust and does not achieve anything I would look forward to your discussion ;).
So, I guess we won't be seeing you around here all that much next year. Unfortunate.

Eh I am just in the H4L (Hate 4 Luck) wagon. I am referring to the bust capability that is all. I hope that kid succeed I dont wish him any harm or a bad career. I am just saying when I see him play and do what Manning, Elway, Brady and Marino did then I will admit I am wrong. But you better believe that if he is just another Rivers, Ryan or Manning (Eli) than I will say "Told you so". You fan are putting him in such high praise. Winning superbowl in his first year? Are you kidding me! Its getting out of hand. Winning 12-14 games first year, seriously? Thats my only problem.
Luck might be good but not Elway,Manning or Brady good.

That's your go-to move right there. About as outdated of a finisher as the headlock.

Everyone else move is " Luck wont be a bust he will win 5 superbowls, 12-14 wins every season and wont be a bust"

Eh I am just in the H4L (Hate 4 Luck) wagon. I am referring to the bust capability that is all. I hope that kid succeed I dont wish him any harm or a bad career. I am just saying when I see him play and do what Manning, Elway, Brady and Marino did then I will admit I am wrong. But you better believe that if he is just another Rivers, Ryan or Manning (Eli) than I will say "Told you so". You fan are putting him in such high praise. Winning superbowl in his first year? Are you kidding me! Its getting out of hand. Winning 12-14 games first year, seriously? Thats my only problem.
Luck might be good but not Elway,Manning or Brady good.

Doesn't need to be Manning or Elway or Brady good.

Skill set, smarts, etc., kid is the total package.

All I need him to do is get us a Super Bowl.

I leave the stats stuff for the fantasy nerds that have let fantasy football ruin football.

He will be a Top QB anyways. Sad that we won't be able to get the guy especially with Brady nearing the end of his career (I say he has 4 years left). After that, Belicheck probably would retire with Brady and it would have been us Dolphins with Luck battling against Sanchez and Fitzpatrick... which is pathetic competition but we would have dominated the division for a ****ing decade and a half with Luck.

Why do some people not understand that the number 1 pick does not have the same value every year. Andrew Luck isn't just this years guy who happens to be the best college player. His draft stock is to the point that he would be drafted first overall in maybe every draft since '98. Whether the scouts are right or not is one thing, but lets not pretend that the prospect of acquiring Tim Couch out of college was a major underlying theme for an entire NFL season.

There will always be a potential for any player to bust

It may all just be hype, but how many failed quarterbacks are there that ever reached this degree of predraft hype.

Look, I get the hype surrounding Luck, I do. The kid has the goods. But remember Tim Couch? Who was supposedly the best QB in the class of 99 that included players like McNabb and Culpepper (late careers aside, these dudes were all-pros). The point is, as good as Luck seems know, until he's actually shown it in the NFL, we can't say he's a franchise QB. Also, remember David Carr? Mediocre at best. Alex Smith (Over Aaron Rodgers mind you)? Decent, but not great. Being the best QB in college doesn't always mean you'll be a great pro QB. Hell, Matt Leinart won a Heisman Trophy.

Let's not abandon ship because we think we might have blown a shot at a guy who has proven nothing other than the fact he is the best QB in college football.
What if you are wrong.

What if he is the next Manning? It could go both ways. He has just as much of a chance to bust as he does at being spectacular.
In that case, maybe we should look deep into the QBs expected to go into the sixth round. The next Brady could be there. I think the reason that you occasionally have that Brady and often have that Leaf is because fans and scouts alike both have no clue. I mean, before a Ryan Leaf is drafted, he "has all of the intangibles", he is "smart", and "poised in the pocket". A true rare breed. Before a Tom Brady is drafted, he is "raw", "unpolished". At best, he "has potential". After those two are drafted, fans seem to have known all along that the player would or wouldn't have turned out to be a good player depending on the case. I call b.s. on that. Hindsight is 20/20, and everyone seems to want to come off as the expert.

Hey, I am starting to get it now....very few players come out of college with the hype of an Andrew Luck or a Reggie Bush. Luck must be a sure thing. Seriously people....everybody was on Reggie Bush's balls before he got drafted. Has he turned out to be the player you thought he would be? Don't lie. Hint: If you answer yes, you are lying.

Back
Top Bottom