What if Andrew Luck is Tim Couch? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if Andrew Luck is Tim Couch?

Funny that you quoted something he said after a playoff game and not a 2-6 start.

I like Cam Newton and think he's going to be really good in this league. But I'd still take Luck over him (though I wouldn't be upset if we had Cam).

I will put up my OL to block this nonsense.

I will put up my OL to block this nonsense.
Alrighty...I guess it's better than having an actual discussion.

I'll also take Luck's leadership, intelligence, and ethics over Cam's any day.

These guys are just trying to convince themselves that Luck has potential to bust. Don't worry, when Luck wins ROY, and has won the division/taking the Colts to the playoffs his first year next year, I will be the first to remind you guys while we're debating who do we draft with our Top 7 pick in 2013.

Andrew Luck is not Tim Couch and we aren't the (expansion) '99 Browns. Sorry to burst your bubble.
last game aside you could've fooled me. we sure have looked like an expansion team this year. as far as luck/couch comparison nobody knows if that is valid or not... not yet anyway.

Luck could be a bust, but Tim Couch isn't the right comparison. Couch played in a wide open Air Raid offense under head coach Hal Mumme and OC Mike Leach. Couch also had A LOT of injuries in his short time. Luck plays in a West Coast Offense under 2 coaches (Jim Harbaugh and David Shaw) who coached under Jon Gruden (okay technically, Harbaugh coached under Bill Callahan while in Oakland but he was Gruden's right hand man with the Raiders)

Here's a description of the offense Couch played in

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_raid_offense

If anybody has a chance to be Tim Couch, it's Landry Jones since he plays in a similar offense ran by Josh Heupal (former Fin who was an All American in Leach's offense). The difference is, even OU's offense now isn't as QB friendly as the one Leach has used during his entire coaching career.

In Short. Couch=College spread offense Luck=Pro offense.

Luck could be a bust, but Tim Couch isn't the right comparison. Couch played in a wide open Air Raid offense under head coach Hal Mumme and OC Mike Leach. Couch also had A LOT of injuries in his short time. Luck plays in a West Coast Offense under 2 coaches (Jim Harbaugh and David Shaw) who coached under Jon Gruden (okay technically, Harbaugh coached under Bill Callahan while in Oakland but he was Gruden's right hand man with the Raiders)

Here's a description of the offense Couch played in

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_raid_offense

If anybody has a chance to be Tim Couch, it's Landry Jones since he plays in a similar offense ran by Josh Heupal (former Fin who was an All American in Leach's offense). The difference is, even OU's offense now isn't as QB friendly as the one Leach has used during his entire coaching career.

In Short. Couch=College spread offense Luck=Pro offense.
Even shorter, Couch and Luck are nothing alike.

its very relevent name the top players in the nfl and see how many were first overall picks
Again, still has no relevance. At all. You are equating the players based on draft position in a given year alone, which is completely flawed. If Luck came out the same year as anybody since 1998, he would have gone first every time. It's a QB prospect's talent, leadership, etc. that determines his success in the NFL, not his draft position.

I also feel it's worth mentioning that in a couple draft specials, NFL people have come out and said that in hindsight, they wouldn't have taken Couch so high anyways. For as prolific as Couch was at Kentucky, not only was he in a QB friendly system that relied almost entirely on short passing, he did throw 36 INTs in 2 years as a full time starter. Now for reference, Josh Huepel (who was a 6th round pick for us only 2 years later) threw 29 INTs in the same time frame. As a 3 year starter, Kliff Kingsbury threw only 4 more INTs than Couch (again with more career starts). Graham Harrell (again playing in the same offense as a 3 year starter) threw 2 less INTs than Couch did in 2 years.

Couch ended up having a lot of weaknesses that a lot of people did not see back then.

Again, still has no relevance. At all. You are equating the players based on draft position in a given year alone, which is completely flawed. If Luck came out the same year as anybody since 1998, he would have gone first every time. It's a QB prospect's talent, leadership, etc. that determines his success in the NFL, not his draft position.

Not so sure he would have been drafted over Eli Manning.

Back
Top Bottom