WHAT IF? What if the Dolphins do not pick a QB in round 1 or 2 next draft? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WHAT IF? What if the Dolphins do not pick a QB in round 1 or 2 next draft?

From what Ive heard, he's gonna miss the combine, IF he's even declared for the draft. So, how do we know if he's "coming along"?

If he can jog and still had both arms, I’m taking him second round, rearward far outweighs risk. He’s risky in the 1st but once 2nd hits, he’s worth it all day, I’m not sure how you can make a logical argument he’s not lol

I can’t even begin to fathom what is going on in your head. If Tua is taken in the 2nd, we have regressed? Did we not learn anything from Drew Brees. I’m sorry but Tua in the second is far and beyond worth the risk. I’d even argue with our 3rd pick assuming he’s coming along he’s worth the risk.
And how salty would fans feel if New England ends up taking him with 31st or 32nd pick? If he slips late in the first that needs to be Miami's pick.

And how salty would fans feel if New England ends up taking him with 31st or 32nd pick? If he slips late in the first that needs to be Miami's pick.

I’m not the one arguing that I stated earlier mid 1st I’m okay with Tua. People then started saying that he’s not even worth a 2nd.

Mid 1st- okay
Late first- happy
Anything later- hit the lotto

I’m not the one arguing that I stated earlier mid 1st I’m okay with Tua. People then started saying that he’s not even worth a 2nd.

Mid 1st- okay
Late first- happy
Anything later- hit the lotto
New England drafting him in the first is a real possibility.

Get Gordon if he is available, he is a top 10 player in the draft.

You understand who the coach is at Washington State...why these player put up these insane numbers?

You understand who the coach is at Washington State...why these player put up these insane numbers?

He is doing really well. For comparison:

Anthony Gordon has 515 attempts, 71% completion, 39 TD, 11 Int and 12 Sacks.
Minshew had 662 attempts, 70% completion, 38 TD, 9 int, 13 sacks
Luke Falk had 534 attempts, 67% copletions, 30 TD, 13 Int, 39 Sacks.

Gordon is much better than the other, a much better scorer, and elite scorer. He is not simply benefiting from high attempts, he is making good use of it by scoring a lot. And while doing that he is still an excellent decision maker, does not throw a lot of picks, and he does not take a lot of sacks.

My only concern with his is the weight, I think he is at 190 lbs. That's light.

He is doing really well. For comparison:

Anthony Gordon has 515 attempts, 71% completion, 39 TD, 11 Int and 12 Sacks.
Minshew had 662 attempts, 70% completion, 38 TD, 9 int, 13 sacks
Luke Falk had 534 attempts, 67% copletions, 30 TD, 13 Int, 39 Sacks.

Gordon is much better than the other, a much better scorer, and elite scorer. He is not simply benefiting from high attempts, he is making good use of it by scoring a lot. And while doing that he is still an excellent decision maker, does not throw a lot of picks, and he does not take a lot of sacks.

My only concern with his is the weight, I think he is at 190 lbs. That's light.

I don't think you understand....every QB who has ever played under Leach has put up crazy numbers. It means nothing as far as NFL transition...

Graham Herrell had 3 seasons of crazy numbers..38, 45, 46 TDs and he had less ints
Kliff Kingsbury threw for 45tds
Seth Doege threw for 39 tds
Taylor Potts threw 35tds
B.J. Symons 52 TDs (who I think holds a number if NCAA records)
Sonnie Combie 35 tds

Are all those guys top 10 players? How about the other ones you mentioned?

Well wind up with a bunch of Charles Harris, Jared Odrick and Matt Roth types.

What are the Dolphins doing with Charles Harris? He looks so fat. I haven't been paying much attention to Dolphins personnel. It's impossible not to notice that Charles Harris is increasingly fat and sloppy, especially in the lower body.

Maybe they have given up on him as edge rusher but like the energy level so the idea is to transform the body type into another type of defender favored in the Patriots style.

BTW, Jenkins is good in that Wilfork/Shelton role. Not bad at all.

It's an odd question in the OP as everyone should know that we need to and are going to take a QB in the first two rounds. I can't even think of a situation why we wouldn't. There's no way we take the 'we can't get a great QB at great value so we'll wait until next year' path. The desire for a franchise QB has driven the actions taken this season, the guy signing off on everything isn't going to accept anything less, and we aren't going to **** around doing so. We're either taking a recovering Tua or reaching for Herbert, or coming back for Fromm later on in the first.

As for the other picks OL and DL are the areas to target. We need DBs but I imagine the coaching team would be wary of using a high pick when it looks like they can coach up less talented players, we need RBs but they can be found later on, it's a great WR class but again not an immediate area of need and we can pick up a decent WR in the third or fourth. Every area could be improved but the lines need the most focus.

I don't think you understand....every QB who has ever played under Leach has put up crazy numbers. It means nothing as far as NFL transition...

Graham Herrell had 3 seasons of crazy numbers..38, 45, 46 TDs and he had less ints
Kliff Kingsbury threw for 45tds
Seth Doege threw for 39 tds
Taylor Potts threw 35tds
B.J. Symons 52 TDs (who I think holds a number if NCAA records)
Sonnie Combie 35 tds

Are all those guys top 10 players? How about the other ones you mentioned?

Of those guys only Graham Harrell had a chance to be called top 10 pick and was comparable in production to Gordon. Others were not.

Of those guys only Graham Harrell had a chance to be called top 10 pick and was comparable in production to Gordon. Others were not.

I believe you are missing the crux of the argument. That Gordon's production means almost nothing, everyone has good to great production under Leach, that is sort of what he is known for. I just didn't want you to be misled into thinking that those stats and that level of production means he should be anything more than a day 3 pick, just like the previous players drafted from that program.

I believe you are missing the crux of the argument - everyone has good to great production under Leach.

Yes they do have good "college" production but they all do not project as top prospects because there are differences between QB production, there are nuances. Some are much better than others.

Last edited:
It'd be super disappointing to miss out on Tua, but the plan would be the same. Create the best situation for your QB of the future - OL RD 1 and WR in RD 2. Would also consider CB. I don't see Pass Rusher as a priority at all in 2020, but I would look for value. I was v high on Maxx Crosby and Omenihu. Both were available Day 3.

Back
Top Bottom