Who should we NOT draft.. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who should we NOT draft..

Cutler - I think he will be an average QB in the NFL but nothing special at all. Saw him enough times to know the kid is inconsistent, he will have some great games but turn around and have some miserable ones as well.

Lendale White - a good RB but is going to get drafted way too early

Any WR in the first round - none are worth it this year

Gabe Watson - big and impressive but lazy

Demeco Ryans, any RB, any TE including H-backs at least on day 1, Hali and Kiwanuka since I dont think either could play OLB, OL at least on the 1st round.

scottn44 said:
somehow I posted in the middle of typing the message.
use the "edit" button on the bottom to finish the message.

Finfanforever said:
Give him a break, he's only 15...he may learn SOMETHING about football one day.:sidelol:
Everyone's entitled to their oown opinion. The uneducated ones are pretty obvious. You can not like him, you can not want us to draft him, thats fine, but to say he's "bad" is just ignorance.

First off, thanks for your intelligent and thorough response.

Vince was a machine in college because once he got out of the pocket he was on an entirely different planet than the guys trying to catch him. This is especially true of the two Rose Bowl comebacks that are largely resposible for his high stock - defense back playing to prevent the big gain pass play (or else, as USC did at times, coming at him with too many), no one to throw to but no one in front of him either, so he takes off and the defensive players can't consistently take him down in the open field.

This same edge won't help him to that extent at the next level. First, coaches are begining to devise effective ways to minimize the damage of a dual threat QB in a standard offense, thanks in large part to the damage Vick did in the past - who, you might notice, has been largely contained by solid defenses lately. Second, the talent disparity is not the same (although it will obviously still exist). The bottom line is that in the NFL, he will face better athletes who are coached to be in better places to keep him from making plays. This is true of all college QBs (and is obviously why it's so hard to make the transition), but the effect is even MORE pronounced for a QB such as young.

I would agree with all of that. One mitigating factor is that, unlike Vick, I believe Young could be a good NFL QB if he never ran. His passing in college is very underrated because of the too obvious comparison to Vick. In my opinion, of course.

Now, you could say to that that his passing was helped a lot because teams were constantly on guard against the run, as you allude to below... and you'd be right. How much that will be mitigated is really the biggest question, to me. Because I believe he can throw, and I believe he has the intangibles... and the ability to avoid mistakes. There were several big huge juicy mistakes just waiting to be made in the Rose Bowl and he didn't bite on any of them.

Now, I'm not saying that Young isn't a phenom. He has the tools (arms strength, leadership, etc) to become a very good NFL QB. However, my biggest issue with dual threat QBs is that they have no way to maximize the impact of their talents. They run, in general, on 'broken' plays trying to make something out of nothing - puting their bodies at risk for higher rates of injury over the long term. Even designed running plays for them revolve around draws, etc. To me, the greatest assest of a dual threat QB can only be used with full effectiveness in a system that forces the defense to defend both the run and the pass option at every point until the ball crosses the line of scrimmage. That's never been done before, and I have no idea how to go about it - the only system I know of that has this element to it at all is Urban Meyer's 'Spread Option' attack, and I personally believe that's far from proven.

Interesting. Thanks. I know nothing of the "Spread Option", I'm going to try and remedy that.

One day someone will build an entire system from the ground up designed entirely to maximize the benefits of a top-tier dual threat QB. Let's face it: despite arm strength and other measurables, the running QBs we've seen so far haven't been at the level of the best pocket passer (I believe this is because they've been able to out-athlete their competition and haven't had to develop those skills, but that's just my theory). So until some revolutionary new system crops up, the Mike Vicks and Vince Youngs of the world have to try to fit themselves into a mold that just doesn't utilize their skills - and that spells trouble for an organization that dumps a ton of cap money into their contracts.

As a rule, i agree. i do think there is an enormous difference between Young and Vick.

Because I believe in Young's ability as a passer translating, if I drafted him I would go all Gene Hackman on him in camp and preseason... no running allowed. At all. He can throw it or take a sack, period.

I think Young, unlike Vick, would rise to that challenge and succeed.

Because, to me, the bottom line is this... If Vick COULD pass well, he could be MVP. It's the fact that he runs so much better than he throws that's the problem. If his talent was balanced he'd be a force.

I just think Young has better leadership, better judgement and football IQ and is a much better passer.

Don't waste a 1st round pick on Jay Cutler!!! This guy is so over-rated, it's becoming comical. Don't believe the hype, people!!! ...... cuz that's all it is ...... HYPE!!!

Who should we not draft.....Marcus Vick. :mad:

MiamiHitman said:
Don't waste a 1st round pick on Jay Cutler!!! This guy is so over-rated, it's becoming comical. Don't believe the hype, people!!! ...... cuz that's all it is ...... HYPE!!!

Have you seen him play, other than the senior bowl?

PhinSoldia said:

Alex 22 and fishypete are Cutler haters...plain and simple. If Saban drafts him the both will spend their football seasons watching the PGA tour in depression. I personally will be laughing my @ss off! :sidelol:

MiamiHitman said:

Yeah,

He's overrated alright, that's whay scouts (including Saban and Mueller) were swarming around him during the week like stink-on-crap!:sidelol:
MiamiHitman...you MISSED on this opinion!

Marcus McNeill...if we pick him I'll be really disapointed. He's good at the point of attack because of his size but not good at getting to the 2nd level of defenders. And he's not good in pass protection. His footwork is not good and he has slow feet, and he's not good with his hands. Man I'm hoping we don't pick him. He's projected to go in the first round but I'll be suprised if he is. Hope he goes to someone in the afc east because Jason would kill him with the pass rush.

SpeedRush99 said:
Have you seen him play, other than the senior bowl?

Yes, I have seen him play, actually. About 4 or 5 times in the 2005 season. My brother loves to bet on college football, so every saturday is a college football marathon on the big screen in our living room.

Anyway, off the top of my head .... Mississippi, Georgia, LSU. I saw him play a few other games too, but I didn't sit through the entire games.

Anyway, from what I saw, he he doesn't have much poise in the pocket, has happy feet, and is always throwing off-balance for no apparent reason. Kinda odd to see, to be honest with you.

I just don't understand the lovefest that everyone has for him. It's all hype. It kinda reminds me of when Kyle Boller started shooting up everyone's draft boards. You wanna know what started the hype for Boller? .... it was a home-made video of Boller throwing a football through the goalposts while down on a knee at the 50-yard line.

I just have this feeling that Cutler is another Kyle Boller. So I am not sold on Cutler like all the other maniacs on this board.

Back
Top Bottom