Who should we NOT draft.. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who should we NOT draft..

SMadison29 said:
Vince Young - he's not an NFL QB, maybe a WR

Jimmy Williams - not a huge fan, plays slow & didn't step up to his best competition this year

LenDale White/DeAngelo Williams/Laurence Maroney - no need for a RB
Exactly.

Plus I dont want Vick, Omar Jacobs, or Charlie Whitetoast

Boik14 said:
Exactly.

Plus I dont want Vick, Omar Jacobs, or Charlie Whitetoast

So... why do you think Vince Young won't cut it as a pro?

I hear a lot of people saying that... and very few good reasons.

I mean, you don't like Young or Jacobs or Whitehurst, I guess. So why?

mine is manny lawson... i just feel like his numbers were highly inflated due to playing on the other side of mario williams and i dont think hes got the natural instincts to be a good linebacker/tweener guy that we would use him as...

zeke0123 said:
Who would be a bad pick for us in the first couple of rounds ???....

In the first two rounds, we should NOT draft into the weakness of the draft. The first rounder should be a guaranteed starter or playmaker. That would exclude QB & WR positions. Let loser teams and risk takers go with those positions. Offensively, I would focus on a O-lineman or TE/H-back playmaker.

On Defense we should exclude players that don't fit the system (size is important). Positionally, it's much more difficult to exclude a roster spot. Personally, I would avoid taking a DT or LB in the first two rounds. I would focus on a DB/S or a DE that can transition to the OLB spot.

nopony said:

that's because you hear what you want to hear.

zeke0123 said:
Who would be a bad pick for us in the first couple of rounds ??? Please dont include the obvious Markus Vick...that has be Re-hashed to death already.

I can not give a particular player, because I believe in Saban, and whoever he takes in the 1st, will be fine by me, but I will give a position that I hope we do not go after in the 1st....Offensive Tackle

Yes we do need help at the tackle position, but we need more help at QB, CB, Safety, and Center/Guard.

On top of that let us not forget that Miami picked up a tackle in the 7th round last year that they were very excited to have. Alabi was thought of by a few teams as being a very interesting project for the right team that had a good enough O-line coach.....which I believe we do. :D

Juan Cribbs said:
that's because you hear what you want to hear.

Yet again... another post with no actual content.

Still waiting.

nopony said:
Yet again... another post with no actual content.

Still waiting.
you've rubbed off on me, what can i say. i'm just going to start saying "he's overrated" and ":shakeno:" to every post now.

Juan Cribbs said:
you've rubbed off on me, what can i say. i'm just going to start saying "he's overrated" and ":shakeno:" to every post now.

Still waiting.

nopony said:

I mean, you don't like Young or Jacobs or Whitehurst, I guess. So why?
Vince was a machine in college because once he got out of the pocket he was on an entirely different planet than the guys trying to catch him. This is especially true of the two Rose Bowl comebacks that are largely resposible for his high stock - defense back playing to prevent the big gain pass play (or else, as USC did at times, coming at him with too many), no one to throw to but no one in front of him either, so he takes off and the defensive players can't consistently take him down in the open field.

This same edge won't help him to that extent at the next level. First, coaches are begining to devise effective ways to minimize the damage of a dual threat QB in a standard offense, thanks in large part to the damage Vick did in the past - who, you might notice, has been largely contained by solid defenses lately. Second, the talent disparity is not the same (although it will obviously still exist). The bottom line is that in the NFL, he will face better athletes who are coached to be in better places to keep him from making plays. This is true of all college QBs (and is obviously why it's so hard to make the transition), but the effect is even MORE pronounced for a QB such as young.

Now, I'm not saying that Young isn't a phenom. He has the tools (arms strength, leadership, etc) to become a very good NFL QB. However, my biggest issue with dual threat QBs is that they have no way to maximize the impact of their talents. They run, in general, on 'broken' plays trying to make something out of nothing - puting their bodies at risk for higher rates of injury over the long term. Even designed running plays for them revolve around draws, etc. To me, the greatest assest of a dual threat QB can only be used with full effectiveness in a system that forces the defense to defend both the run and the pass option at every point until the ball crosses the line of scrimmage. That's never been done before, and I have no idea how to go about it - the only system I know of that has this element to it at all is Urban Meyer's 'Spread Option' attack, and I personally believe that's far from proven.

One day someone will build an entire system from the ground up designed entirely to maximize the benefits of a top-tier dual threat QB. Let's face it: despite arm strength and other measurables, the running QBs we've seen so far haven't been at the level of the best pocket passer (I believe this is because they've been able to out-athlete their competition and haven't had to develop those skills, but that's just my theory). So until some revolutionary new system crops up, the Mike Vicks and Vince Youngs of the world have to try to fit themselves into a mold that just doesn't utilize their skills - and that spells trouble for an organization that dumps a ton of cap money into their contracts.

jay cutler.i dont know why no one would take vince young.hes a beast.cutler is just bad.

dorsaroll156 said:
jay cutler.i dont know why no one would take vince young.hes a beast.cutler is just bad.
:lol: terrible

Back
Top Bottom