Why defend Gus | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why defend Gus

Dolfan4life! said:
So Sage is not the answer, this coaching staff knows it, the previous staff knew it, you seem to know it too. Why is he still on our roster? Why didn't we make a move for Rattay a few weeks ago? He could have been had for a 7th rounder. If Sage is no better than Frerotten, he belongs in the Arena league. If he is as bad as you assume he is, I don't believe he would have been re-signed in the off season. I've got to believe Nick would have signed another servicable veteran while they were available.

There are an awful lot of cheap backup qbs around the league that nobody except the very desperate think will ever be a legitimate starter. Sage is still on the team because he's cheap and Nick was concentrating on Gus and AJ at the time. Sage appears to be an afterthought to every NFL coach who's ever had him on the roster. Only desperate fans seem to think every professional coach and scout have been mistaken, sort of how they felt about AJ. I'm thankful to finally have a coach who assesses and evaluates objectively and doesn't sway with public sentiment. Almost every bad move made by the last regime was in response to public pressure. So we reached for a qb, we reached for an o-lineman, we reached for a RB. Those moves used a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks. 2 out of 3 of those players are gone. We got nothing for one, and it cost us a 6th to get rid of the other. I think I'm over letting the fans make the calls; I'll trust Nick.

phinz8202 said:
and if that is true and you are Saban why not kill the QB debate by throwing Sage out there for a couple of games and let him bomb? at this point what is there to lose??? We arent contenders right???

Because there is no qb debate as far as he's concerned and he's not here to indulge every fans' armchair coaching suggestions.

islandah said:
There are an awful lot of cheap backup qbs around the league that nobody except the very desperate think will ever be a legitimate starter. Sage is still on the team because he's cheap and Nick was concentrating on Gus and AJ at the time. Sage appears to be an afterthought to every NFL coach who's ever had him on the roster. Only desperate fans seem to think every professional coach and scout have been mistaken, sort of how they felt about AJ. I'm thankful to finally have a coach who assesses and evaluates objectively and doesn't sway with public sentiment. Almost every bad move made by the last regime was in response to public pressure. So we reached for a qb, we reached for an o-lineman, we reached for a RB. Those moves used a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks. 2 out of 3 of those players are gone. We got nothing for one, and it cost us a 6th to get rid of the other. I think I'm over letting the fans make the calls; I'll trust Nick.
At this point I'm not looking for a legitimite starter (in Sage or another veteran QB as mentioned earlier), I'm only looking for a better stop-gap than Gus. I can't or won't believe that the putrid play of Gus is the best we got.

Dolfan4life! said:
I can't or won't believe that the putrid play of Gus is the best we got.

And that, my friend, is the true essence of this argument. Unfortunately, our coaches seem to believe it, and between posters on a fan website and professional coaches, scouts and talent evaluators, I've got a little more confidence in the pros.

islandah said:
And that, my friend, is the true essence of this argument. Unfortunately, our coaches seem to believe it, and between posters on a fan website and professional coaches, scouts and talent evaluators, I've got a little more confidence in the pros.

So the entire staff knew that Frerotten was going to be the 2nd worst QB in the league (thanks to Grossmans injury-insert Orton) by your logic. Yet not bright enough to realize we needed more new blood at the position than Gus during the off season. That, my friend is the essence of my arguement.

islandah said:
Because there is no qb debate as far as he's concerned and he's not here to indulge every fans' armchair coaching suggestions.

just because he doesnt think one exists doesnt mean its not there. He will be hounded about this ad nauseum. smart thing would be to show everyone what you have in your cupboard so to speak. if its that bad, so be it. but just because Sage was passed up by others to start does not mean he isnt worthy to start over Gus. right now Gus is as bad as it gets.

phinz8202 said:
the only problem with that point is that it assumes coaches are infallible and stubbornless. heck, we just got rid of a coach who was known to stick with his own guys even when change was warranted. Granted he has seen Sage in practice a whole hell of alot more than any of us.....but he has yet to see what he can do when put into the role of starter and given the reins for a stretch. none of us has. whats the harm in seeing?

Everybody is fallible. Do you trust the the guy with more info or the one with less? As to what it hurts, we are installing a new offensive system. Does it make sense to take the guy out of the lineup that knows it best?

rafael said:
Everybody is fallible. Do you trust the the guy with more info or the one with less? As to what it hurts, we are installing a new offensive system. Does it make sense to take the guy out of the lineup that knows it best?
If he can't make the plays? Yea. If knowledge of the system is everything, put a helmet on Linehan and let's start winning some games.:D

Dolfan4life! said:
If he can't make the plays? Yea. If knowledge of the system is everything, put a helmet on Linehan and let's start winning some games.:D

:lol:

rafael said:

when you are as bad as Gus....no question. He may KNOW the offense the best but he sure as hell cant EXECUTE it.

Dolfan4life! said:
So the entire staff knew that Frerotten was going to be the 2nd worst QB in the league (thanks to Grossmans injury-insert Orton) by your logic. Yet not bright enough to realize we needed more new blood at the position than Gus during the off season. That, my friend is the essence of my arguement.

Oh, you're right. Saban should have gone over to the Franchise Quarterback Tree and picked one up for us!

Look, we could argue this back and forth all day. The essence of my argument is this:
Gus sucks and I'm not defending him. But even though many on this site (yourself admittedly included) are in denial, the coaching staff obviously feels that a.)he is the least suck-y and/or b.) he does the most for the long term benefit to the team.
Given that this coaching staff has made mostly good moves, IMO, I defend not Gus but their decision to start him as the best of some lousy options.

les dauphins said:
Lemon or Sage can do worse and probably will but going into the off-season we have to know that not just assume it
Good post. It would be nice to fianally see what Sage or Cleo can do in a game while not having to wait til next preseason to find out. It should help with offseason moves.

islandah said:

No You're right he may not be there to indulge every fan, but if this keeps up I would not put it past a lot of fans to start boycotting games. I mean what reason would they have to go. In the Atlanta game our running backs had more yards per run than Gus did per pass. You can talk all you want about the coaches knowing more than the fans, but all you do is belittle the fans and yourself. If you are going to play for draft picks then let us know so we don't waste our money and dreams on a program that doesn't plan to start till next year.:fire:

islandah said:
Oh, you're right. Saban should have gone over to the Franchise Quarterback Tree and picked one up for us!

Look, we could argue this back and forth all day. The essence of my argument is this:
Gus sucks and I'm not defending him. But even though many on this site (yourself admittedly included) are in denial, the coaching staff obviously feels that a.)he is the least suck-y and/or b.) he does the most for the long term benefit to the team.
Given that this coaching staff has made mostly good moves, IMO, I defend not Gus but their decision to start him as the best of some lousy options.
I never said anything about a franchise QB, and there is a huge difference between Frerotte and a franchise QB. I would have expected the staff to do better (much better considering how bad Frerotte sucks) than what they did. I'm not in denial about what the coaching staff believes, I'm just not in agreement with them.

les dauphins said:
Why are people defending Gus, bad play calling dropped balls I don't care he's not bad he's terrible let's just start sage or lemon (it's like a recipe) I know their probably worse than Gus but at least we''ll know there worse

Great lets start Sage! Do you wanna go tell Linehan that?

Exactly. You missed alot of points aready being made. Ignore the facts of the past and how things came to this. Just "Lets start Sage" is the battle cry now. But what will happen then? Sage will be reduced to handing off to WR's when you have two great RB's who can do it and it doesnt take 6 seconeds for the damn play to develope!

Back
Top Bottom