Why defend Gus | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why defend Gus

Frerotte is to blame for our recent loss, he threw despite Chambers being double covered. That being said, the WRs need to help Frerotte out. One play Chambers just dropped a pass right in his numbers. On another play McMichael didn't try and make the catch on a pass which he could've caught if he jumped.

Dolfan4life! said:
I have complete trust in the coaching staff.

No, you don't, or you'd defer to their knowledge of who's the best choice to start at qb for the long term good of the team.

islandah said:
No, you don't, or you'd defer to their knowledge of who's the best choice to start at qb for the long term good of the team.
I have complete trust, but not complete BLIND trust. I can trust someone and still question one of their moves. Are you serious?

islandah said:
Eshlemon said:
Let's beat this analogy to death:
You've got one tranny that sputters along, not great performance or mileage, stalls occasionally, but the tranny store is on the horizon and you know you can limp in.
The only other tranny you've got is unreliable and untested, and while it could sputter less and maybe even perform a little better, it has a label on it that says "Caution:May Explode and Harm other parts of the Vehicle." And you're going to the tranny store regardless.

That's the difference in opinion between us, you feel the tranny will make things worse than the worst tranny in the league. We'll still lose with the worst tranny, why not try to win the new tranny? I admit the losses could be uglier with Rosenfels, but I'm willing to risk improvement. A loss is a loss no matter what the score.

But as you said, I'm not a mechanic and hope the mechanics we have can somehow get this old tranny working if there not going to replace it this year.

Eshlemon said:
islandah said:
That's the difference in opinion between us, you feel the tranny will make things worse than the worst tranny in the league. We'll still lose with the worst tranny, why not try to win the new tranny? I admit the losses could be uglier with Rosenfels, but I'm willing to risk improvement. A loss is a loss no matter what the score.

But as you said, I'm not a mechanic and hope the mechanics we have can somehow get this old tranny working if there not going to replace it this year.

No, I know where you're coming from, I'm just saying that smarter mechanics than me have already evaluated these guys, and they're telling us to stick with Gus (so far). Change for the sake of change isn't always a good thing (AJ) and I just have to trust that the coaches know what they're doing.

rafael said:
Personally, it's not that I believe Gus is playing well, it's that I have no reason to believe we have anybody that can do better. The "let's give Sage (or Lemon) a shot b/c he can't do any worse" crowd just seems ignorant to me. It is the lamest argument anyone can provide. It amounts to "I don't know". I believe the coaches would put the best players in. To believe otherwise would mean that I think they are either incompetent or don't want to win.

But how can you really know unless you give them a shot! Not giving them a shot is ignorant, IMHO, in this situation.:yell:

Dolfan4life! said:
I have complete trust, but not complete BLIND trust. I can trust someone and still question one of their moves. Are you serious?

I'm completely serious. This boils down to the fact that Saban and Co. feel that Gus is our best option for the team even after his subpar play. They've evaluated Sage and continue to do so. So you either trust their judgement based on a lot more information than you have, or you don't.

islandah said:
I'm completely serious. This boils down to the fact that Saban and Co. feel that Gus is our best option for the team even after his subpar play. They've evaluated Sage and continue to do so. So you either trust their judgement based on a lot more information than you have, or you don't.
It appears as if you have the opinion that Nick can absolutely do no wrong, period. And to you that means trust. I know that no person is perfect and can confidently say I completely trust Nick Saban but am questioning his decision to continue to start Gus.

Dolfan4life! said:
It appears as if you have the opinion that Nick can absolutely do no wrong, period. And to you that means trust. I know that no person is perfect and can confidently say I completely trust Nick Saban but am questioning his decision to continue to start Gus.

I don't think that Nick can do no wrong, but I think he's got a lot more information to work with than we do along with a long term plan for the team that may affect his decision making.

islandah said:
I don't think that Nick can do no wrong, but I think he's got a lot more information to work with than we do along with a long term plan for the team that may affect his decision making.
Fair enough.

phinz8202 said:
but who says he doesnt know the offense or cant execute it? maybe he can. likewise maybe the coach is being stubborn in wanting to keep Gus as the starter. coaches are notorious for being stubborn and wanting to do it their way. i cant say for sure because i, just like the rest of us, arent there to see what happens in practice.

That's why I say you either trust the coach or you don't. No matter what we don't have enough info.

Dolfan4life! said:
I have complete trust in the coaching staff. You won't see me bashing Linehan (or Saban) in any of these ridiculous threads about play calling. I am Calling for a change in QB's because the play has been sub-par (horrible). Wanting the back-up QB to play and starting a thread to start your neighbor is a terrible analogy. These arguments aren't based on zero information at all. Gus is not a good quarterback-fact. We have another professional QB on the bench that has seen little actual playing time-fact. Many would like the Dolphins to start him next week-fact. What is so difficult for some to undestand about wanting to start the back-up. Did anybody see Bollinger play yesterday off the bench for the Jets? Did anyone see that coming? He almost won that game. Sometimes change is good.

It is almost zero info. You know little more about Sage than you do about my neighbor. But fortunately the team hired somebody whose job it is to know more about Sage. You either trust that that guy (Saban) has the ability to make that assessment or you don't.

islandah said:
Dolphan5876 said:
You can talk all you want about the coaches knowing more than the fans, but all you do is belittle the fans and yourself.[/Q UOTE]

If I listen to my doctor because he knows more than me about medicine, if I listen to my mechanic because he has much more experience working on transmissions than I do, if I listen to my attorney because there are legal issues that I don't even know exist, do I belittle myself and all the clients of these experts?

That is why Doctors, Mechanics, lawyers and yes COACHES get Fired!!!!
Or in some cases if their stupidity borders negligence.............they are SUED!!!!:fire:

islandah said:
Eshlemon said:
Let's beat this analogy to death:
You've got one tranny that sputters along, not great performance or mileage, stalls occasionally, but the tranny store is on the horizon and you know you can limp in.
The only other tranny you've got is unreliable and untested, and while it could sputter less and maybe even perform a little better, it has a label on it that says "Caution:May Explode and Harm other parts of the Vehicle." And you're going to the tranny store regardless.

You want to see other parts harmed. Wait until Gus hangs one of our recivers out to dry up in the air or turned the wrong way trying to catch one of his DUCKS. Is that what it's going to take, for someone to really get hurt before they take him out. I was all for Gus at the beginning of the season, But he has steadily degressed every game. Take him out or when they finally do there may be no one to throw to.

Back
Top Bottom