Why is everyone caught up in Ryan Swope? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is everyone caught up in Ryan Swope?

Seriously? So, a guy who runs faster than Randall Cobb, jumps higher than Randall Cobb, tests quicker laterally in the 3-cone and the shuttle than Randall Cobb, is taller and heavier than Randall Cobb and you want to call him Brian Hartline? Hartline runs a 4.52, Mike Wallace runs a 4.32, and Ryan Swope ran a 4.34 ... hmmmm. Hartline is 6'2, Wallace is 6'0, and Swope is 6'0 ... hmmm. If you're going to blindly compare Swope to someone without any merit ... you might as well compare him to Mike Wallace. The reality is that Ryan Swope isn't Welker, he isn't Hartline, and he isn't Mike Wallace. If Danny Amendola could stay healthy a full season, Swope would be a bigger, faster, better version of him perhaps, but really, Swope doesn't profile to any of these white receivers so many nay-sayers want to project him to be. The guys with his athletic ability are very rare.

Swope produced phenomenally in Sherman's offense catching passes from Tannehill. It's a no-brainer that we'd want him.

If we are talking taking a late rounder at WR I would rather have Da'Rick Rogers. First round talent with some troubles, but worth the risk in the 3rd.

Wes Welker 2. He fits the philbin mold of slot WR and played 19 games with Tannehill in same offense and made big plays.

Philbin is looking for big plays.

He has speed that Bess doesn't. He has an existing relationship with Tannehill and already knows the base offense. Bess and Gibson are only under contract through this season and can walk next season. The pick makes sense on several levels.

Why anyone wants a concussion prone slot receiver on the team is beyond me.

I hear everyone saying Tavon Austin will not be able to stay healthy yet he never missed a practice. Swope gets hurt all the time in college and everyone wants to draft this guy. I don't get it.

I think when you look at the tape of Tannehill it is obvious there was some chemistry there with Swope. Not saying he can't have it with other receivers. But it was noticeable on tape.

Seriously? So, a guy who runs faster than Randall Cobb, jumps higher than Randall Cobb, tests quicker laterally in the 3-cone and the shuttle than Randall Cobb, is taller and heavier than Randall Cobb and you want to call him Brian Hartline? Hartline runs a 4.52, Mike Wallace runs a 4.32, and Ryan Swope ran a 4.34 ... hmmmm. Hartline is 6'2, Wallace is 6'0, and Swope is 6'0 ... hmmm. If you're going to blindly compare Swope to someone without any merit ... you might as well compare him to Mike Wallace. The reality is that Ryan Swope isn't Welker, he isn't Hartline, and he isn't Mike Wallace. If Danny Amendola could stay healthy a full season, Swope would be a bigger, faster, better version of him perhaps, but really, Swope doesn't profile to any of these white receivers so many nay-sayers want to project him to be. The guys with his athletic ability are very rare.

Swope produced phenomenally in Sherman's offense catching passes from Tannehill. It's a no-brainer that we'd want him.

Don't get me wrong, I love Swope as a player. My only concern is the history of concussions. My fear is the hits and potential for more at the NFL level could present a problem for him.

This draft has a myriad of wr's with some nice potential. Please pass on this guy and go after one of the wr's that can help us in the redzone.
Tannehill needs at least one big target imho.
I guess it just comes down to that I like a whole lot of other wr's coming out better than Swope.

If we can get him in the late 3rd or 4th, ok, but I think theres bigger fish to fry in the 1st and 2nd than this guy.

I don't buy that he is slower in pads than other people who ran comparable 40 times. The guy is 200 pounds, the pads aren't going to slow him down any more than they would slow anyone else that weight down.

I think the real problem is that the difference between a 4.3 and a 4.5 isn't that apparent to the blind eye , and that people have strong expectations that a white wide receiver will be relatively slow and unathletic. Numbers don't lie, Ryan Swope has elite athleticism and for that reason shouldn't be compared to Hartline (whose athleticism is a bit underrated) or Bess.

If he'll be any good, I have no idea. Its a little bit unsettling that he wasn't able to stand out athletically amongst the available WRs with the physical tools he has, but I like that he has chemistry with Tanne.

He isn't the WR for us. He is basically Hartline with a 4.3 40 and 2 inches shorter. We need a red zone threat with some speed. Swope is not that and he isn't the game changer Tavon Austin is at the slot. Swope won't bring anything we don't already have in Bess and Gibson. We already know those 2 can get it done in the NFL. We have no clue what Swope will do and he doesn't give us what we need. I know it feels good for certain people to see a white guy run a 4.3 but, he doesn't give us what we need. The only way I see him on our team is if we remake our WRs AGAIN and trade Bess and Gibson. Even if we do pick up Swope, we still need that 6'4", red zone threat. Swope isn't him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

yes Hartline and Swope are white...well spotted. Pity as players they are nothing alike.

Garbage comparison based on racial stereotypes Im not even going to bother reading the rest of your post.

Yup

I like him because he's a more built Bess, great speed, and is like a Welker2.0. Great connection with Tannehill. Get him

I don't buy that he is slower in pads than other people who ran comparable 40 times. The guy is 200 pounds, the pads aren't going to slow him down any more than they would slow anyone else that weight down.

I think the real problem is that the difference between a 4.3 and a 4.5 isn't that apparent to the blind eye , and that people have strong expectations that a white wide receiver will be relatively slow and unathletic. Numbers don't lie, Ryan Swope has elite athleticism and for that reason shouldn't be compared to Hartline (whose athleticism is a bit underrated) or Bess.

If he'll be any good, I have no idea. Its a little bit unsettling that he wasn't able to stand out athletically amongst the available WRs with the physical tools he has, but I like that he has chemistry with Tanne.

Yeah I agree, people tend to see white and they automatically assume he can't be the fastest guy on the field. I've watched a lot of A&M games and I've seen him dust a lot of defenders. I knew he was fast but I'll be honest the 4.3 did surprise me.

The difference with him is that he's bigger than the type of player that typically runs a 4.3.. He's about 2 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than Austin. So he doesn't have that lateral quickness, shiftiness, fluidity, and super quick change of direction. I think with an NFL caliber training and nutrition program he could work on his agility and cuts and that would make him seem a lot faster. His agility is what is really holding him back from becoming an elite speed guy. This kid has the work ethic and the passion for football to never stop improving. Based on that extremely productive season he had with our current QB I'd be doing backflips if we get him in the third.

I hate how every draft website compares him to someone white. Brandon Stokely, Wes Welker, now Hartline. He's much different than those guys and it's extremely lazy comparisons.

Back
Top Bottom