Why is everyone caught up in Ryan Swope? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is everyone caught up in Ryan Swope?

Seriously? So, a guy who runs faster than Randall Cobb, jumps higher than Randall Cobb, tests quicker laterally in the 3-cone and the shuttle than Randall Cobb, is taller and heavier than Randall Cobb and you want to call him Brian Hartline? Hartline runs a 4.52, Mike Wallace runs a 4.32, and Ryan Swope ran a 4.34 ... hmmmm. Hartline is 6'2, Wallace is 6'0, and Swope is 6'0 ... hmmm. If you're going to blindly compare Swope to someone without any merit ... you might as well compare him to Mike Wallace. The reality is that Ryan Swope isn't Welker, he isn't Hartline, and he isn't Mike Wallace. If Danny Amendola could stay healthy a full season, Swope would be a bigger, faster, better version of him perhaps, but really, Swope doesn't profile to any of these white receivers so many nay-sayers want to project him to be. The guys with his athletic ability are very rare.

LOL. You're comparing combine numbers instead of him ON THE FIELD.lol. Stop it. Tell me when I'm wrong- does swope run good routes? so does hartline. can swope catch the ball well? so can hartline. can they both get down field? yes. are they both good locker room guys? yes. swope may be better underneath than hartline and that's a difference but, swope still does not gives us what we need in a WR. Pay attention to that statement. That's the one that is actually important. He is a 6'0" WR. I also stated, swope doesn't give us much more than bess or Gibson. Yet you failed to comment on that part. Swope ran a 4.3 but, he studied and practiced for that 4.3. Run it again in 2 years.

Swope holds the all-time receptions record at A&M, and he was far more productive with Tannehill than Johnny Football. Hartline wasn't even a star at Ohio State, simply a good player. Hartline has decent above-average WR speed, and can get deep, but Swope has elite speed that is game breaking. Hartline is a wide out, which is much harder to find, and Hartline excels at boundary routes and is bigger. Swope is more explosive but 2 inches smaller. Swope is the same size as Wallace.

Devone Bess is 5'9 and slow. If he were 6'2 and as athletic as Swope Bess would be one of the leagues top receivers ... but he's not. And he's not even close. Bess is much slower than Hartline and the polar opposite of Swope's game-changing breakaway speed. Swope is 3 or 4 inches taller. Swope is far more explosive. They both have good hands and run good routes. Really, the size, speed, explosion and position flexibility advantages that Swope has over Bess are so obvious its surprising that you want me to list them, but there are some if you are interested.

Gibson is bigger but very slow. Size size you could compare Gibson to Swope but Swope's explosion and breakaway speed are light years better than Gibson's.

Swope's tools give him a very real shot at being an exceptional weapon at all 3 positions. Bess and Gibson are role players.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought Swope was expected to be approx a 4th round pick? This thread makes it sound like the Dolphins/teams are seriously considering him as a 1st round pick.

Relax.

If Bess ran a 4.3 instead of a 6.3..this wouldn't be a issue.

lol

he did it all? do you approve of white recievers playing more than one set role? Dont they have to play the Swope/Hartine/Welker/Decker/Nelson/Amendola role?

Yes, he did it all in college. He's a very good football player,just not what we need. He doesn't bring much we don't already have. You said that other stuff. Nice to see how you feel.

Look at swope run the 40 at the combine then go look at him run deep down field with the ball. He runs wild which takes away from his speed, on field. He's a very good player that we just don't need. Who cares how fast he gets the offense. So, it's better to get a WR who is limited but, knows the offense than a WR that has the physical skills we need at WR? SWOPE IS A #3 WR!!! We can pick him up after we select a WR like Justin Hunter. Hunter gives us an actual need. Swope would give us another slot guy with great straight line speed but, limited acceleration. I can live with swope being .1 seconds faster than hunter in the 40 because hunter is a 6 foot 4 inch fast, red zone threat. HE GIVES US WHAT WE NEED!

Everybody jumps on the hartline comparison but, no one mentions how I also compared him to Bess and Gibson. And I'm being racial.

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought Swope was expected to be approx a 4th round pick? This thread makes it sound like the Dolphins/teams are seriously considering him as a 1st round pick.

Relax.

You could read it that way. I actually would have no problem drafting swope IF we draft a red zone threat WR first. That does not include the TE spot though.

Swope holds the all-time receptions record at A&M, and he was far more productive with Tannehill than Johnny Football. Hartline wasn't even a star at Ohio State, simply a good player. Hartline has decent above-average WR speed, and can get deep, but Swope has elite speed that is game breaking. Hartline is a wide out, which is much harder to find, and Hartline excels at boundary routes and is bigger. Swope is more explosive but 2 inches smaller. Swope is the same size as Wallace.

Devone Bess is 5'9 and slow. If he were 6'2 and as athletic as Swope Bess would be one of the leagues top receivers ... but he's not. And he's not even close. Bess is much slower than Hartline and the polar opposite of Swope's game-changing breakaway speed. Swope is 3 or 4 inches taller. Swope is far more explosive. They both have good hands and run good routes. Really, the size, speed, explosion and position flexibility advantages that Swope has over Bess are so obvious its surprising that you want me to list them, but there are some if you are interested.

Gibson is bigger but very slow. Size size you could compare Gibson to Swope but Swope's explosion and breakaway speed are light years better than Gibson's.

Swope's tools give him a very real shot at being an exceptional weapon at all 3 positions. Bess and Gibson are role players.

You are over exaggerating swopes' ability. He'll be a slot guy in the nfl and he is only 6'0". swope at the combine 40 and him on the field are 2 totally different running styles. You can see he practiced for the 40. Look at his tape, he runs wild on the field. It will slow him down. He won't be 4.3 fast in the nfl, definitely not in 3 to 4 years. He'll be good but, he isn't something we can't do without....... like a tall, fast red zone threat WR. swope ain't that.... But, if we get the big WR first, I'm all for adding swope.

Swope is everything you want in a football player, especially a wr.

He runs the double and triple routes, can read the defense, has great hands, has speed, has quickness, amazing instincts especially after the catch, plays very physical, absolutely loves football, is great friends with tannehill, knows Sherman and the offense (something a lot of receivers and TEs had trouble with last year).

There is nothing not to love about this guy. Comparisons to hartline or bess are ridiculous.

Now go and compare Hunter to Swope and tell me who is the better player? Everything you say is correct, except he does remind me of hartline and bess. All are not #1s and none provide us with what we are missing on this team. swope is an excellent player, never said he wasn't but, he is not what we need. I could careless who his friend or his sleep over buddy is, he isn't what we need at WR. You do realize he has no chance at starting for us next season.

Swope will probably be taken in the mid to late 3rd,and who ever gets him will get their moneys worth.It's gonna be hard to pass up on him if he makes it to our 3b pick.If the 4th round starts and he's on the board.I'd trade our 4th and a 7th and move up and grab him.Knowing we'd be 12 picks away from losing him.

Rather basic. Many of the posters who despise the idea of drafting Austin are fixated on a cute alternative path. They are convinced that filling a more obvious need in the first round, and then nabbing Swopes a round or two later, is a superior combo.

I've been there, and not that long ago. Not in regard to these two players, but the practice in general. It's garbage. You end up with two compromise players who mostly blend in. The Dolphins would be well equipped to win the Ivy League, or even the Big 12, but players of Swopes' caliber do nothing toward the Super Bowl. Not unless they are mostly irrelevant, with stars doing the work.

Austin may not be there at 12. I wondered what took so long for that sensible evaluation of his skills and impact to set in. If he's there, we might do ourselves a favor and name him. Even our stadium might not be enough to nullify his overwhelming talent.

See: Best, Jahvid, and Collie, Austin.

Not to mention those players were more talented. The league is moving to a system of independent neurological analysis that's going to end up retiring Swope as it effectively has those two players, possibly even before he reveals himself to be overrated. But even if he ends up being another Victor Cruz it won't matter if he's stumbling around on the sideline muttering that he's Batman.

There's a reason Tavon Austin doesn't have concussion issues, people. It's not just luck. It's because he has elite vision and quickness. You can't get a clean shot on him, therefore you can't hurt him. It's not unlike Barry Sanders, who never had a major injury in his career. Swope has nothing approaching those physical skills or dynamic vision and plays a reckless style with a body that can't stand the pounding. The results have been and will continue to be utterly predictable.

If Swope were really a valid replacement he wouldn't have these kinds of problems. But he does. And that in itself should tell you something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many believe that Tannehill being familiar with Swopes is a recipe for immediate impact. What they are overlooking is that Austin makes this offense an opposing DCs worst nightmare. The impact is not comparable between the two. Tavon Austin pushes this team past the Pats. No other single player in the draft does.

Tavon Austin pushes this team past the Pats. No other single player in the draft does.

No he doesnt, not even close.

---------- Post added at 04:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 AM ----------

Yes, he did it all in college. He's a very good football player,just not what we need. He doesn't bring much we don't already have. You said that other stuff. Nice to see how you feel.

lol deflect and deny

No he doesnt, not even close.

---------- Post added at 04:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 AM ----------

lol deflect and deny

LOL. Deflect and deny what? Do you even know what those words mean? lol. Get a clue and learn the game. Swope isn't that good. There's a reason he is projected as a 4th rounder(3rd in somes eyes). He's another WR.

Back
Top Bottom