1 NFL Fan Base Is Desperately Wishing For DeVonta Smith | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1 NFL Fan Base Is Desperately Wishing For DeVonta Smith

If you cant trade down then cool, take him at 3. Alot of the people who are saying they wouldnt want to take him at 3 but he's okay at 7/8, are really saying, maybe the board will let him get to 7 or 8.

I say you gotta at least see what ATL would offer to swap picks. If you can get a 4 just by swapping with them so they can get the 3rd QB, then why run to the stand and hand in the card. Cinci at 5 could be looking for a weapon to go with Burrow, Boyd, Mixon to the point you dont want to risk dropping below them, even if sewell is on board.

If Atlanta says **** you, we know you want a WR, we know you are not going to trade down to 8th and risk losing your playmaker, we aint giving you ****...then casually walk up there and turn in the card with Smiths name

Are you under the impression that Devonta only did that last night,and not the last FOUR years?
Truth be told it’s been two years, not the last FOUR years,

That still doesn’t answer the question though, he is not a Megatron type athlete so how much of his production is due to Alabama?

I’m not bashing love the kid, would love to have him, just concerned when I see that a defense just simply fail to cover a guy should the player get all the credit.

Are you under the impression that Devonta only did that last night,and not the last FOUR years?
I got to say I am really getting confused about some of these comments. Ones like well he did it last night but coverage was not good. Or well can he do it against NFL type CBs. Smith has absolutely destroyed pretty much everyone this year in the SEC and it is not like he padded stats against the lower teams either he has destroyed the top teams with NFL CBS. Maybe just maybe it is that Smith us just that good. Plus he got even better when Waddle got hurt and he needed to step up.

Just look at what this kid did in the last 3 games which was the SEC championship, the semifinals, and the National Championship so not against crap competition. In 3 games (against the best teams who I imagine were trying to game plan to stop Smith) he put up 34 rec, 529 yards, and 8 tds.

That still doesn’t answer the question though, he is not a Megatron type athlete so how much of his production is due to Alabama?

I’m not bashing love the kid, would love to have him, just concerned when I see that a defense just simply fail to cover a guy should the player get all the credit.
I keep hearing this silly s***...yet people think Chase..with his one year...all him...not all that other great LSU talent around him..
It's called having a anti-bama bias...

How did Dieter work out in year 2?

Deiter was a left guard for the Dolphins in 2019 and with horrible play around him at left tackle without Laremy Tunsil and at center with Daniel Kilgore, the rookie didn’t have very many reps to positively showcase himself.

And so Deiter went back to the bench this season. But we got to see Deiter pressed into action in Week 15 against the New England Patriots — and his play looked good enough spelling rookie guard Solomon Kindley after an injury pulled Kindley from the game.

Does this answer your question?

You could not watch that game and hope for anything other than DeVonta Smith. He was purely dominant and has been all season.

Watching him play, you can tell he's special regardless of the system he is in. His speed, his route running, his ability to change tempo, his football intellect, hands, etc.... he really has it all except for not being the massive physical build WR1 with which everyone wants to compare.
I really like the Marvin Harrison comparison someone made earlier in the thread.
This team needs help on offense, especially with playmakers/game-breakers. D and ST are pretty much solidified.

2017....which is four years ago...in the title game...Some of the regulars just wasn't getting the job done...so Nick put some of the freshmen in..Devonta,Najee and others.
They did it....2 and 26 in OT......

Also helps ,having a OC that can get separation for his players with motion and schemes....unlike the fossil we had at OC...

Hey fam. All I do is lurk on this board.
I just wanted to say that we should probably take him at 3 instead of trading down at all.
Is it really worth it getting lower-level picks that probably won't hit and risking talent like Smith being drafted elsewhere?
I am all for protection but an LT will not score 3 touchdowns or accumulate over 200 YDS a game.
Take him now! Shoot your shot.
I know my words have 0 say in anything and these are events we cannot control.

Thank you for your time and I will go back to lurking.
Be safe and see ya around.

I am not as sold on DaVonta Smith as most people on this board. I worry about his size and durability in this very physical league. He doesn't have Desean Jackson speed and he will not be able to dominate NFL CB's the way he has college kids. Sure, he'll be a good WR, but look at the transition for guys like Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, and Laviska Shenault. Jeudy is a phenomenal route runner, Ruggs has elite speed, and Shenault is probably the most like DaVonta Smith ... but none of those guys are overly physical, and none became instant-stars. Contrast that with guys like Chase Claypool and DK Metcalf who are physical guys and have had good success. Running against air always looks good for the fast guys, but once the NFL defenders get their heavy hands on these guys ... the game changes.

IMHO, the best WR prospect in this class is Ja'Marr Chase. We didn't see him this year, but I am confident he will produce if healthy. And, I'm more confident that he can stay healthy.

In what way is he most similar to Shenault? Smith is an elite route runner - just as good as Jeudy in that area if not better, but he's more versatile and catches/plays the ball much better.

Honestly - I'm struggling with this exact same thing. Seems like a great kid with a good head on his shoulders. Great skill set - w/ speed, runs good routes, good football IQ. I really want to root for this kid but at the same time there's this thing in my head that if you pick a WR w the 3rd pick he better just be a physical freak like Megatron, Mossesque. I know I'm wrong in this because I'd take Marvin Harrison all day every day (to me he seems like the closest comp - although I might be biased since I'm a Syracuse guy as well) but it's just my mind playing devils advocate I guess.

I would love for the Dolphins to draft Smith at three but I would also be fine with them drafting Sewell or Parsons with that pick. I think what they do at 3 will be determined by who they sign in Free agency. If they sign one of the top WR’s in free agency, it won’t surprise me if they take another position of need with the third pick in the draft if they don’t trade down with that pick.

Back
Top Bottom