2018 Preseason Week 2 - Game Thoughts | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2018 Preseason Week 2 - Game Thoughts

The way I see Gase calling plays is like a chess player, thinking multiple moves ahead, setting up a strike down the line. The nature of preseason games doesn't facilitate this due to roster evaluation and hence his calls are very vanilla being about the individual rather than team goals.

For those worried about us not attacking the full field need only go back to 2016 where our offense was top ten in chunk yardage. But yeah some of the calls were frustrating as hell.

Not going to take too much from the play calling yet. Lets see what week 3 looks like which should be a better indication of our abilities.

Quinn is impressive. If Wake still has some gas in the tank, these two could have a big year
Drake is a stud.
RT looked solid. A few miscommunications with receivers, but overall I thought he looked pretty good.
Run defense is a big concern

Way too early to panic about performance. We have all season to do that. Lets see what happens....

I’m in this tape now. That first drive is killed by a hold and a conceding play call on 3rd and 13. Do like the zip on the ball from Tannehill and placement and also like the command at the los.

The td is on the strong side backer primary mccain has outside contain baker has to fill that better. Doesn’t help that tjs angle isn’t great but he’s initially filling to the middle before trying to redirect outside. If that’s minkah he’s hand fighting with the rb and likely forcing him out of bounds after the big gain.

Bakers just light for this ask and also poa play is not a strong suit thus he projects best at weak

Drakes a very good fit for the outside zone.

2nd drive ball on the 22 approaching red Miami and Tannehill are hoping they get man clear out for drake in the flat if it’s man he may walk in. It’s zone goes for minimal gain. Like the play design for the clear out and release of drake

Drive ends on a miscommunication with Grant where the db is under tanny correctly throws to the pylon grant curls the route like it’s over the top. Do better grant

Last edited by a moderator:
Minkah doesn’t get enough depth on a 3rd and 11 conversion. He’s mad at himself for it. Give it time he will his awareness is top shelf.

They run the tight end under to the flat to hold minkah there to throw it over him outside. Just needs more situational reps there before he drops under one of those

No injuries is always the big one but you don't want to see the same team that starts out slow, has too many penalties, and generally doesn't look like a team that is built to play with a lead ... which I feel like I've heard for the last 10 years.

If you're serious about winning football games and suck at managing the cap, I'd suggest perhaps cutting literal dead weight in Alonso and Branch instead of your best player. They're as good as gone anyhow and are both a liability imo. Who cares if you wait until after this season to cut them when the cap hit is manageable when you're taking the biggest hit in NFL history to get rid of your best player anyhow? I know Alonso and Branch would be missed exactly zero this season ... how about Suh?

There isn't an easier game plan for opposing teams than 'just run the ball'. Not looking forward to teams running wild on us since I'm not seeing how they stop it in this scheme with these players.

Something a little closer to real football this week. I hope I'm not too long-winded, but a few things I wanted to get off my chest:

- I feel really bad for everyone in that front office who actually has to listen to Mike Tannenbaum talk and pretend to be interested, engaged, or otherwise appreciative of his thoughts. That might have been the worst five minutes in the history of television.

- No first team injuries. That we know of. GREAT game. Success.

- I dislike this new rule about lowering the helmet. Making the game safer is good, and I approve of it. On plays like the one in the 4th quarter (Durham Smythe getting hit in a helmet shot), I understand it, because it's obvious and indeed it is poor tackling form. But when Maurice Smith got his third quarter interception... you realize that a penalty could easily have been called there on Trae Elston? It's a rule that will be inconsistently applied until the fan complaints become so loud and frequent that they quietly revise it in the off-season.

- Rest in Peace, Tony Sparano. I think you would have loved watching this game; I fist pumped every field goal tonight.

Offense

- PENALTIES. More offensive holding and what should have been two delays of game in a row. The team needs to get the plays in faster, communicate them faster, get lined up faster, and maybe execute them properly, too.

- Miscommunications. Receiver stops and comes back, quarterback throws it to the end zone. Completely missed blocks? Uh... guys? Honestly, it doesn't matter how good of a play-caller Adam Gase is, or how well equipped his offense is to pick apart opposing defenses. If the players are not being taught to execute it properly, it will fail. Illegal formation COMING OUT OF A TIMEOUT SITUATION! That's bad.

- Receivers: Parker, Stills, Amendola, Wilson, Grant, Ford. I can't see any other way that works out.

- Durham Smythe looks pretty good to me. I mean, he looks good running routes. He had a real nice catch, but I also saw him get sneaky wide open a couple of times and just not even get looked at. I think we got something there.

- Bryce Petty: Thank you. That was the best play of the night. I'm going to be honest, I'm with Kdawg on this: I think I'd seriously consider keeping Petty as the backup. Maybe he can pick up the offense enough to actually run it competently, and at that point he's easily the best option of these three. He's got a great arm and he plays with passion. Maybe we could QB whisper ourselves a quality second quarterback. Eh, yeah, who am I kidding? The same reason he's available is the same reason they had to dumb down the playbook at Baylor is the same reason he's going to be cut in two weeks.

Defense

- I missed the first drive for the defense, and I'm glad I did. It's my understanding that both TJ McDonald and Bobby McCain took horrible angles and allowed a run to go for a long touchdown. I'd like to see the play in question so that I can be suitably disappointed by even more Dolphins starters.

- Robert Quinn looked more dangerous this week. Honestly, he looked pretty good. We need to see more of this.

- Charles Harris, Raekwon McMillan and Cordrea Tankersley are all second year players drafted near the top of last year's draft. All three of them were disappointing again tonight. As much as I feel good about the 2018 Dolphins draft class right now, that 2017 class is not looking so hot. Gotta get out there and make some plays. Yeah, everything's vanilla, but I can still see that Harris isn't getting enough pressure, McMillan looks slow and indecisive, and Tankersley is going to want to burn the film of this game.

- This team needs Minkah to be the free safety. If that means rolling the dice on McTyer at CB, trading for a cornerback, or seeing who is out there as a free agent, then so be it.

- The backups got abused. Badly. I'm really concerned about the defense after two weeks of the preseason. I don't care how well these guys are doing in camp, right now the offense at least looks like it can move the football, whereas the defense looks like it's in serious trouble as long as teams figure out not to throw at that Howard guy.

Special Teams

- I was nervous about Jason Sanders, but so far, so good.

- Drew Morgan probably won't get the punt return job. In fact, he probably won't get any kind of job on this team.

- I'm glad Rizzi didn't try for the onside kick at the end of the game. Good way to get someone hurt in a meaningless game, and you'd like to think they will have some new wrinkle to show off when it really matters.

And that's all I got for tonight. Dress rehearsal next week. I sincerely hope we get a better showing for that game.
Hard to argue with anything you said here Wanny. There were some players that did well last night but as a team it just did not looked good. But we'll see what happens next week which is the main pre season game. It should tell us a lot about what kind of team we're going to have this year.

Gesicki is dropping his head way too much lined up in line in the muck. Good way to sustain a serious neck injury.

Delay of game in the red on the qb. Come on Ryan. Just barely missed it

Drive conceded on a draw play.

For a guy that hasn’t practiced aj derby knows the offense well. Durham Smythe some run with the 1s. Bout time

They keep 4 tight ends.

I agree that the plan was to get the ball in an out of Ryan’s hands. The penalties again, delay of game in the redzone?
The offense can move the ball between the 20’s I think but again points (TD’s) are a struggle. I dont think the OL will hold up with too many longer pass plays called, I think that is part of the problem but we will need to see some more attempts.

The defense can be run on or short pass killed in the middle of the field- again. Drew Morgan who I liked and wanted them to keep last year has regressed it seems. Agree with Armando’s take there.

Fitz needs to play safety, because without him there the drop off is huge.

Great to see the plays from Quinn. Perry needs to make the roster.

X looks excellent. Hate that pi call.

I agree with the raekwon looks better assessment. Best thing I see is the recognition. It’s helping mask a little bit of the athlete. Might just need time

Need more inside the box though vs the run impact from him

3rd and 3 show the double a gap blitz drop out into a sticks middle zone have multiple crossers in front of you that’s a tough play for a mike who has to follow the first crosser first and then pass off and redirect.

3rd and 3 show the double a gap blitz drop out into a sticks middle zone have multiple crossers in front of you that’s a tough play for a mike who has to follow the first crosser first and then pass off and redirect.

Still don’t think were good enough at LB, you just see way more from most NFL teams LB units

Uh oh caroo. Gets 8 yards off coverage can’t open db hips. Have to force the corner to bail there. No pi call for coming thru the wr is a joke.

No threat from caroo vertically. Corner sits and drives on route

Osweiler takes a awful sack in the 2 minute cause he fails to recognize coverage and looks to the wrong progression. Might have been only a primary and a dump option.

Ouch

Back
Top Bottom