2020 Free Agency - Dolphins Targets? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2020 Free Agency - Dolphins Targets?

The dolphins are going to sign 10 to 12 guys - mostly 2nd tier guys with something to prove.

they might spend a time or two because everything is right...

What Flores has done is prove that if you are a leader of men - embody King energy - players respond.

paying guys who are only about greed and ego is counter-indicated.

buying guys who want to fight to prove themselves is going to be the focus - 10 to 12 players...

Most definitely. Most of Miami's work will be later in FA for sure.

I do expect a splash signing on the OL and possibly edge. Maybe 2 OL too. Gonna be an interesting Free Agency period.

Most definitely. Most of Miami's work will be later in FA for sure.

I do expect a splash signing on the OL and possibly edge. Maybe 2 OL too. Gonna be an interesting Free Agency period.

We have to sign at least one OL right? The math wont work if we think we are getting the rest out of the draft. Lol.

Unless your good with a bunch of our guys coming back..

Honestly chances are we won’t be content with the OL coming into the year, too much to fix.

Last edited:
We have to sign at least one OL right? The math wont work if we think we are getting the rest out of the draft. Lol.

Unless your good with a bunch of our guys coming back..

Miami has to sign as many OL as they can. I almost expect 3 or 4. But 1 or 2 of them have to be high level players.

Miami has to sign as many OL as they can. I almost expect 3 or 4. But 1 or 2 of them have to be high level players.

I say they go hard at 1, they will have competition and some will stay with their current teams.

Could be another year with Kilgore for sure..

I agree with trying to fix most of the OL through FA. At least the interior OL starters. While there's alot of value to be had from tackles in the draft, interior OL are far behind in terms of draft value. Another thing to consider is that the OL is only as strong as its weakest link, so filling most of its spots with veterans isnt a bad idea while rookies can be backups while they get some experience.

I agree with trying to fix most of the OL through FA. At least the interior OL starters. While there's alot of value to be had from tackles in the draft, interior OL are far behind in terms of draft value. Another thing to consider is that the OL is only as strong as its weakest link, so filling most of its spots with veterans isnt a bad idea while rookies can be backups while they get some experience.

I know Miami fails at this a lot, but drafting interior OL in the mid rounds is where it's at.

Although Biadaz (sp?) is worthy of late R1 consideration IMO.

I say they go hard at 1, they will have competition and some will stay with their current teams.

Could be another year with Kilgore for sure..

Kilgore was Miami's best player on the OL. Add come good guards and he is serviceable enough until Humphrey next year.

I know Miami fails at this a lot, but drafting interior OL in the mid rounds is where it's at.

Dont know about the spelling, in my head the dude's name is badass, much easier...lol!
And yes, while the value isnt through the roof like tackles, they are certainly worth drafting anyway since they play a big part in an effecient passing game.

Kilgore was Miami's best player on the OL. Add come good guards and he is serviceable enough until Humphrey next year.

Frankly Im disappointed Humphrey decided to stay, and the only reason Kilgore was the highest rated player was because the rest were basically awful, but ya we can only probably attempt to address so much this year..

Last edited:

No is not. We haven't hit on ANY Oline guy after the first round since 1990 so drafting several guys in the middle rounds is wasted picks.
We need to get inside linemen in free agency and then draft at least one OT and maybe two.
Now I know that we can't always go by past history but this team has been horrible at drafting OLine after the first round and even in the first round it hasn't been all that great so why keep taking chances? Get it fix in free agency where you know what you're getting and then get OT in the first or 2nd round.

All true, but good FA guards are much cheaper than good FA tackles. I know we have a huge amount of cap room, but unless we use it prudently, we will right back in cap hell in a couple of years.

At least 1 OT in round 1, maybe 2, depending on how FA pans out, is the way I see it.

All true, but good FA guards are much cheaper than good FA tackles. I know we have a huge amount of cap room, but unless we use it prudently, we will right back in cap hell in a couple of years.

At least 1 OT in round 1, maybe 2, depending on how FA pans out, is the way I see it.
Not only that but good OT's don't hit the market often unless they're older for the most part so when one of them is there you have to overpay by a lot so yes, I'd rather draft the OT which seems to have a higher rate of success than drafting guards which we never hit on.

Here's a table of average salaries for different position groups. Used this for another project but I guess its relevant here...
vet-average-salaries.jpg

I simply used quantiles to separate players into tiers. I could have used top5, top 10 or what ever but felt like it would ignore the fact that some positions have alot more players under contract than others.Quantiles take that into account. This could certainly be improved, but still gives an acurate overview.

No is not. We haven't hit on ANY Oline guy after the first round since 1990 so drafting several guys in the middle rounds is wasted picks.
We need to get inside linemen in free agency and then draft at least one OT and maybe two.
Now I know that we can't always go by past history but this team has been horrible at drafting OLine after the first round and even in the first round it hasn't been all that great so why keep taking chances? Get it fix in free agency where you know what you're getting and then get OT in the first or 2nd round.

Just because Miami can't do it, doesn't mean that it is a bad strategy.

Back
Top Bottom