2020 Free Agency - Dolphins Targets? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2020 Free Agency - Dolphins Targets?

Finding and developing OL in the mid rounds ... lets say rounds 3-5 (even the 2nd round truly, since it seems the discussion was about 1st rounders) , is absolutely ideal. Instead of using a premiuim pick or a lot of cash on them in FA. I mean yeah you can say that for any position. But its definitely true, you want to find those big uglies later on.. just because we have a history of not finding decent ones doesnt mean we should stop trying...

Here's a table of average salaries for different position groups. Used this for another project but I guess its relevant here...
View attachment 36022

I simply used quantiles to separate players into tiers. I could have used top5, top 10 or what ever but felt like it would ignore the fact that some positions have alot more players under contract than others.Quantiles take that into account. This could certainly be improved, but still gives an acurate overview.
Something seriously wrong with those numbers. IDK if it's a decimal point issue, or what, Is this yearly, or total contract? You have "bust" T at 25 mil, for example?

Something seriously wrong with those numbers. IDK if it's a decimal point issue, or what, Is this yearly, or total contract? You have "bust" T at 25 mil, for example?
I may be wrong but Im reading 2.5M for bust tackle...? And yes, yearly total avg...

Spain is on the Bills. And was very good for us. He didn’t let up a sack. And helped with OL Calls. I fully expect Bills to try and re-sign him.

but he has also made it known he wants to get paid.
By the way, congrats on your season. I was actually pulling for the Bills to beat Houston. Obviously, came really close. That Buffalo defense is there and if there's more development from Josh Allen I think the Bills take this division next year.

I do expect Tom Brady to stay with New England and I think the Pats will add tight ends and wide receivers. So I'm not ready to dismiss them just yet. For Miami, I'm looking at 2021 to be really competitive.

My bad. I was reading it wrong.

Very interesting comparison. Thanks.
The most interesting aspect in there is the Tackles salary IMO, its big and the drop is very smooth compared to other position groups... They're also the most expensive busts...

Question for the board. How much can you front load a contract? For example, if you sign a player to a three-year, $10 million contract can you pay $7 million year one, $2 million year two and $1 million year three?

This is a big offseason for Miami and if you can front load contracts like that, the team could do some real serious damage. Is there a percent that the team can pay up front?

Question for the board. How much can you front load a contract? For example, if you sign a player to a three-year, $10 million contract can you pay $7 million year one, $2 million year two and $1 million year three?

This is a big offseason for Miami and if you can front load contracts like that, the team could do some real serious damage. Is there a percent that the team can pay up front?

In theory... yes.

In practice, no. Players quickly want to renegotiate and then malinger when they don't get what they want.

I'd sign one of these three, plus a starting caliber offensive lineman.

Yannick Ngakoue
Chris Jones
Arik Armstead

The dolphins are going to sign 10 to 12 guys - mostly 2nd tier guys with something to prove.

they might spend a time or two because everything is right...

What Flores has done is prove that if you are a leader of men - embody King energy - players respond.

paying guys who are only about greed and ego is counter-indicated.

buying guys who want to fight to prove themselves is going to be the focus - 10 to 12 players...

You will not be a winner without players driven by greed and ego. This is professional football and the best players have egos. Our offer to Clowney (I'll wager he thinks his talents are worth a premium) flies in the face of that sentiment. If we offer Brandon Scherff (I bet his opinion of his talent is no less than Clowney's) a contract, it won't be for minimum wage. You get what you pay for, outliers included. It's insulting for the Average Joe to say that about players who literally put life and limb on the line...especially for a team that:
  1. Began the season BEREFT of talent
  2. Was aiming for the highest number of multiple draft picks they could muster
  3. Won 5 games by a QB who practically had a career year.
I'm convinced Flores is the correct coach. I'm not convinced he, or Fitzpatrick, can pull another good year (talk about your oxymorons) out of their behinds as they did this year through singing 10-12 of the usual beta cucks that have run around with Dolphins uniform on for the past 25 years. That is not something I'm willing to accept peacefully, even if they sign "team-friendly" contracts. I'm also not convinced that Grier can keep up the level of wheeling and dealing needed to sustain primary positions and salary. Long story short, I'd rather have 4 quarters than 10 dimes, 10 dimes over 20 nickels, 20 nickels over 100 pennies. One FA stud at a position of need (OL, DE) will not give us a team full of talented, ego-driven "maniacs".

All true, but good FA guards are much cheaper than good FA tackles.

Scherff is going to cost as much as Conklin or Constanzo. Thuney isn't going to be cheap either.

Scherff is going to cost as much as Conklin or Constanzo. Thuney isn't going to be cheap either.
Maybe, maybe not. The market will dictate that. You are looking, primarily at top end guys though. I wouldn't assume that is, necessarily the case.

Clowney, Conklin and Scherff come with injury baggage so they aren't clean FA's.

Most likely in all 3 situations is the player stays with his current team.

Back
Top Bottom