2020 Runningback Rankings | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2020 Runningback Rankings

I am not saying anything of the kind.I am not saying any of them are not 1st round caliber talents.I am not saying I do not want a talented RB.

I am saying it is a mistake to use valuable resources like 1st round picks and big money on running backs.

You do not NEED outstanding RB's to win big in the NFL.

You need a quailty QB and a good OL.

If you have that, you can get more than enough production at RB and WR from lesser talents.

Other than Moss, NE has been doing it for two DECADES.

The only time I would consider RB in Round 1 would be late 1st round and I have a loaded team with no needs beyond RB and there is a really, really good one on the board.

You are saying Dobbins didn’t produce in college like a 1st rounder? His measurables are impressive.

No, I am saying Dobbins did not test at the combine in 3 cone, vert and broad so we don't know. Swift did test and he tested as a first rounder, but his production in college is not first round. Same with Cam Akers. So for me, those three, Swift, Dobbins, Akers are second round values together with Clyde Edwards and Robinson. Clyde Edwards is borderline first round but could be considered a first round value.

Last edited:
I agree. If the talent dictates, a first rounder for a running back can be a great pick. Wouldn't Miami fans be happy with Zeke Elliott?

I think the Dolphins are in a great position, with all their picks, to see where the run begins and get into the mix for either Swift (my favorite), Taylor, or Dobbins. Perhaps things change a little if they sign Gordon, which seems like a strong possibility.
No, I am saying Dobbins did not test at the combine in 3 cone, vert and broad so we don't know. Swift did test and he tested as a first rounder, but his production in college is not first round. Same with Cam Akers. So for me, those three, Swift, Dobbins, Akers are second round values together with Clyde Edwards and Rico Dowdle. Clyde Edwards is borderline first round but could be considered a first round value.

Got it, I just saw Dobbins bench, 23 reps of 225. Pretty strong with explosion. Swift, I get it, I mean the production was not there for me. Akers? Pitiful coaching and OL, hard to say.

I am not saying anything of the kind.I am not saying any of them are not 1st round caliber talents.I am not saying I do not want a talented RB.

I am saying it is a mistake to use valuable resources like 1st round picks and big money on running backs.

You do not NEED outstanding RB's to win big in the NFL.

You need a quailty QB and a good OL.

If you have that, you can get more than enough production at RB and WR from lesser talents.

Other than Moss, NE has been doing it for two DECADES.

The only time I would consider RB in Round 1 would be late 1st round and I have a loaded team with no needs beyond RB and there is a really, really good one on the board.

I don’t disagree with any of this. But this isn’t the argument. Give me a stud QB and a good coach and you will win.

We are comparing WR to RB or whatever position other than QB. Look I get the 2nd contract issues but you get 5 years off a RB right off the bat. If he stalls, cut bait. A WR lasts longer BUT takes longer to get going and WR makes more than RB’s. Copper makes almost twice what Elliott makes!
Who is more valuable? You may not win with a RB but you don’t with a WR either.
Teams are built two ways. Get a stud QB and supplement parts around him or have a game manager with a running game and a stout D.
A good QB makes receivers look good, a stud RB can make a QB’s life easier. We will see but think we go RB 1C or 2A depending on how the board falls or what we use if we go for Tua.
I understand the logic on early 1st round but we have the three picks, this is a special circumstance.

Anthony McFarland round 4. Will do everything Swift or Taylor do. Draft OL with the picks before him.

You are saying Dobbins didn’t produce in college like a 1st rounder? His measurables are impressive. He is the strongest of the top tier backs and has explosion. Dillon? Meh, I mean he is a bruiser but doesn’t have the burst for me, just a pile mover. Taylor? Yeah he is a stud. I would love to get him.

Dobbins over Dillon without even a single thought.

Last edited:
Anthony McFarland round 4. Will do everything Swift or Taylor do. Draft OL with the picks before him.

I am sure a n OT will be there at 18 but OC and OG will be plentiful in late 2nd, 3rd and 4th. There isn’t a OG rated before the 3rd. An OC which we will need can be had with either 2nd or 3rd. Now if we are looking at multiple OT, then we can still get a QB, S, 2-OT, C, RB with our first 6 picks and get good players

I don’t disagree with any of this. But this isn’t the argument. Give me a stud QB and a good coach and you will win.

We are comparing WR to RB or whatever position other than QB. Look I get the 2nd contract issues but you get 5 years off a RB right off the bat. If he stalls, cut bait. A WR lasts longer BUT takes longer to get going and WR makes more than RB’s. Copper makes almost twice what Elliott makes!
Who is more valuable? You may not win with a RB but you don’t with a WR either.
Teams are built two ways. Get a stud QB and supplement parts around him or have a game manager with a running game and a stout D.
A good QB makes receivers look good, a stud RB can make a QB’s life easier. We will see but think we go RB 1C or 2A depending on how the board falls or what we use if we go for Tua.
I understand the logic on early 1st round but we have the three picks, this is a special circumstance.

WR is much more valuable than RB.

I am sure a n OT will be there at 18 but OC and OG will be plentiful in late 2nd, 3rd and 4th. There isn’t a OG rated before the 3rd. An OC which we will need can be had with either 2nd or 3rd. Now if we are looking at multiple OT, then we can still get a QB, S, 2-OT, C, RB with our first 6 picks and get good players
Agree with most of this- Center position seems little thin - Ruiz- Cushenberry- Henessey? Believe they will be gone by #56.
We have 18,26, 39, 56..
For me it’s #18 T, 26 C, 39 S, 56 RB

WR is much more valuable than RB.

I think you are a great poster and like a lot of your opinions but strongly disagree.
A stud RB gives you good blocking, a safety valve, the tough yards, Tennessee basically rode theirs in the playoffs. They touch the ball 20-30 times a game. The best receiver might be TARGETED 10 times a game. Besides the fact in OUR particular setup we already have two nice pieces in Williams and Parker. All we have at RB is Howard who is a plodder on his third team.
Also it takes WR way longer to contribute compared to a RB, one last thing I am not taking the 3rd or 4th best WR when I could have the best RB, the 3rd or 4th best fighting for targets after Parker and Williams, unless he is a slot.
Not really an argument in my eyes. Now if Lamb or Jeudy fall to where a Swift would be? OK but not happening.
One last thing, this is a deep ass WR draft, we could get Claypool or Bolden or better after the 2nd round.

Agree with most of this- Center position seems little thin - Ruiz- Cushenberry- Henessey? Believe they will be gone by #56.
We have 18,26, 39, 56..
For me it’s #18 T, 26 C, 39 S, 56 RB

Still have Badiez a guy a lot of us liked earlier and Harris. That is 5 pretty nice prospects in what looks like a nice C class. I also see us moving around a lot this draft to either target guys or if we are in good shape loading up for next year. Going to be fun!

I think you are a great poster and like a lot of your opinions but strongly disagree.
A stud RB gives you good blocking, a safety valve, the tough yards, Tennessee basically rode theirs in the playoffs. They touch the ball 20-30 times a game. The best receiver might be TARGETED 10 times a game. Besides the fact in OUR particular setup we already have two nice pieces in Williams and Parker. All we have at RB is Howard who is a plodder on his third team.
Also it takes WR way longer to contribute compared to a RB, one last thing I am not taking the 3rd or 4th best WR when I could have the best RB, the 3rd or 4th best fighting for targets after Parker and Williams, unless he is a slot.
Not really an argument in my eyes. Now if Lamb or Jeudy fall to where a Swift would be? OK but not happening.
One last thing, this is a deep *** WR draft, we could get Claypool or Bolden or better after the 2nd round.

Appreciate the kind words.

It's true RB's get more touches, but the value of the touches is what matters.

Think about fantasy football for a minute. When a star RB goes down with an injury, people scramble to pick up his replacement, or they had already rostered his replacement, knowing how valuable he'd be if given the opportunity. L. Bell, (old) D. Williams, and J. Conner all put up similar numbers and enjoyed similar success for Pittsburgh. J. Samuels even put up some monster games. Is it because they're all star RB's, or is it because the offense would make any competent RB look like a star RB? It's the latter.

If a star WR goes down, his replacement is unlikely to receive much attention, because he's very unlikely to replicate that production. WR is a skill-intensive position, and the gap between the good ones and the average ones is huge.

Parker was outstanding in 2019, particularly the second half of the season. Williams showed promise, but he didn't play as well as people seem to think, and I wouldn't count on him - given his character concerns. He's just a year removed from going undrafted. Even if you're sold on both as long-term answers, Miami lacks a quality deep threat, and they lack a receiver who can win over the middle - make the tough catches and turn short throws into big gains.

It is certainly harder to find an outstanding WR than an outstanding RB.

I think both positions are over valued in some sense.

My philosophy is that if you have a strong OL then you do not need elite RB talent to have an effective running game.

And if you have a strong QB then you do not need elite WR to have an effective passing game.

The Patriots have shown this to be true for 2 decades.

I will concede that it is a lot easier to build a strong Ol than it is to find a great QB so there is that.

But my feelings on this are more about spending draft assets and cap space on the 2 positions than actually having elite talent there. If you can get them cheapish then I am all for it.

I just would not draft either very high or pay them too much unless I had a truly stacked team and that player would be the icing on the cake so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom