2nd round picks 36, and 50, and the receivers that will be available | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2nd round picks 36, and 50, and the receivers that will be available

I sure hope those unjustifiably naysaying Devonta Smith over size aren’t also the ones jumping on the Elijah Moore bandwagon. He’s not much bigger than Jakeem Grant.

The mistake that people make is underestimating the will of an athlete to prove people wrong. All I'm saying is it's easy to do with Smitty. It's what he's always had to do and I've never seen anybody do it to the extent he has. Other than maybe Warrick Dunn.

That's how Mac Jones got to where he's at now too. And I did tell people Mac10 was fixing to blow up 6 months before the season.

I don't have a problem with anybody that ranks Chase over Smitty or Waddle. But sometimes it just boils down to who is the most willing to prove it. That question was answered when Chase chose not to play football.

The same questions were surrounding both programs in terms of what they had at the QB position heading into the season. Chase saw an easy way out and took it after some agents got in his ear and told him to ditch his teammates. Quite a few kids made the same choice. It was their choice.

The problem is once you do it, it just gets easier to do from there. They won't be able to opt out of all those ass whippings coming in the NFL.

Sorry but when you compare Corey Davis to Smith and Chase that's a whole new ball game.TOTALLY different WRs.
Alot of GMS and scouts who don't know Jack get all caught up in these 6'3" 220lb WR that run a 4.4 but can't run a route to save there career.Thats what happens alot
And not sure if you said it or someone else did but Yatil Green was a Heartbreakers for me.As a Canes fan and knowing the Dolphins needed a WR I was so beyond myself with him getting drafted. Then I was reading on an old Phins website alot of guys were disappointed because he was a straight line wr (beyond the injuries)and didn't run any routes.Thats when I knew I should start looking at WR differently then just pure college stats.

You may be right, but at the end of the day the common denominator here is the same usual pre-draft hype.

The mistake that people make is underestimating the will of an athlete to prove people wrong. All I'm saying is it's easy to do with Smitty. It's what he's always had to do and I've never seen anybody do it to the extent he has. Other than maybe Warrick Dunn.

That's how Mac Jones got to where he's at now too. And I did tell people Mac10 was fixing to blow up 6 months before the season.

I don't have a problem with anybody that ranks Chase over Smitty or Waddle. But sometimes it just boils down to who is the most willing to prove it. That question was answered when Chase chose not to play football.

The same questions were surrounding both programs in terms of what they had at the QB position heading into the season. Chase saw an easy way out and took it after some agents got in his ear and told him to ditch his teammates. Quite a few kids made the same choice. It was their choice.

The problem is once you do it, it just gets easier to do from there. They won't be able to opt out of all those *** whippings coming in the NFL.
You seem to be overprotective of all your bama guys.

You probably don't know me very well.

Did you have something you wanted to say pertaining to the wide receivers or would you just like to get to know one another better?

Long as you bring me coffee, and a cinnamon bun we will be friends. You made some great points brother, just couldn't help but to tell a Bama fan that he's being overprotective of their own lol. To be fair, up until Smith plays a down we really don't know. Does he have the tools to play in the league? He does, but he is probably going to land on a bad team like the Lions. I don't think we are drafting him, and his weight isn't the reason. In fact, the same reason we are not drafting him would be the same reason we are not drafting Chase.

Long as you bring me coffee, and a cinnamon bun we will be friends. You made some great points brother, just couldn't help but to tell a Bama fan that he's being overprotective of their own lol. To be fair, up until Smith plays a down we really don't know. Does he have the tools to play in the league? He does, but he is probably going to land on a bad team like the Lions. I don't think we are drafting him, and his weight isn't the reason. In fact, the same reason we are not drafting him would be the same reason we are not drafting Chase.

Nobody knows who is going to draft who. Which is why I don't participate in those type discussions and I have enough friends. I don't really have room for anymore in my fanbase. So pick another option.

Some say dont draft a RB high. Good ones come in later rounds. I have also heard the same about IOL and WR.
Even QB has had some lower round successes (Brady 6th round likely the most famous but I think Rusell wilson was 3RD round).
I do not know which position or player is a must at 3 and 18.

If History serves right, he will be better than people give him credit. People are too blinded by the big schools big numbers from Alabama. Far as I know, we haven't had an Alabama pro bowl wide receiver in years. We have had two pro bowl wide receivers in the 1st round twice since 2015.
"We" would be Florida? Just so I know what you're trying to say.

Also, Amari Cooper?

This draft is tremendously deep at WR, imo. There might well be kids drafted in rounds 4, 5 and later who contribute at the pro level, and quickly. Tutu Atwell, Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Nico Collins, Anthony Schwartz all have eye-opening film.

Of those four, Ihmir Smith-Marsette really opened my eyes. I can't find a whole lot of weaknesses with him other than that he simply wasn't in an offense where he was used all that much.

I really like some of the slot options later in the draft. I would happily take Atwell or Eskridge at 81. I would also take a flyer on Jaelon Darden later in the draft.

If History serves right, he will be better than people give him credit. People are too blinded by the big schools big numbers from Alabama. Far as I know, we haven't had an Alabama pro bowl wide receiver in years. We have had two pro bowl wide receivers in the 1st round twice since 2015.

What history are you referring to?

What history are you referring to?

Overall history when it comes to the 1st round receivers, their production, and success. From 2010-2020 (we can use 2000 as an ever bigger barometer) there have been about 5 pro bowl receivers drafted in the 1st round. And we are counting Dez Bryant in that list which hasn't been relevant. Golden Tate with the Seahawks has been serviceable at best. 2011's Julio Jones is still relevant in the league. The other pro bowl receivers would be Amari Cooper, and last years Justin Jefferson. Before Jefferson it was Amari Cooper, and that is a 5 year gap of failed wr's, or receivers that made impact of their team. Either how, the real gems were found in the 2nd, and 3rd round. In fact those rounds historically in the last 20 years have yielded the most amount of Pro bowl, all pro receivers.

What history shows is that people are too blinded by measurables. They draft WRs too high based on height and weight assuming they can teach them everything else. (which it turns out you can't most of the time). They value those measurables above good football players with elite traits (like separation ability and hands). That's how you end up with great players. Then they are surprised when the good football players get to the league and are better football players than the guys they over drafted based on measureables. That leads to the, "don't draft WRs high" trope. But drafting would be better if they drafted good football players with elite traits for the position. Drafting great players high is almost never a mistake.

Back
Top Bottom