A look ahead at the RBs we might target in the draft | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A look ahead at the RBs we might target in the draft

Grier thinks he can find RB steals in late rounds and never can. I question his ability to put an OL and run game together.
My guess is that McD is heavily involved in the RB selection process. He said, last season, that over the years they (I believe he was referring to the coaches he worked with) had identified certain traits that tended to be successful in their system and that he had spoken with the scouts about what he was looking for. My guess is that if they identify a RB that fits that profile, they'll take him where ever they need to.

The thing is that running in a zone system is a little different. You don't just run to daylight. You have to anticipate and see the flow. It's a bit like what Tua does with his anticipation throws. And reality is that not everybody can see that. Chase Edmunds was a very good back in AZ, and I have no doubt he put in the work here, but he never did figure out how to anticipate the lanes. That makes the evaluation tough.

Maybe I am not as clued in as some of the posters here and while I appreciate all the thought put into this topic.......

I just don't see us drafting a RB with our limited picks and obviously other higher needs. (Note, I love a really good running game).
Lol normally I agree, but we don’t have a single one o n the roster right now, got to get them somewhere

Lots of great posts and info!

Thanks!

Personally, I'd like a kid that can run IZ with some power (+short range burst) who can get 3-5 yards as a matter of fact.

Make life a little easier for Tua and DEMAND attention by the D to the incessant bleed and thus opening up the PA game.

Just basic football. Add the RPO action with Tua's quick release and play high percentage football while attacking
20-30 yards down field periodically but NOT at the clip we did too many times last season -- making the O way too predictable and giving the rush too much of an advantage. We have to play smart and structure the O to protect the QB
via run game and basic scheme that doesn't force him to be the *star* of the show play in and play out.

Bottom line -- balance. It's a winner for all seasons and all field conditions.
I thought it was interesting that the two teams with the highest percentage of RPO usage this season were Philly and KC. It kind of highlighted the ridiculousness of all those posts saying they didn't like the use of RPO in our offense this last off-season.

Don’t y’all forget that McDee runs a system with a full back… That kind of eliminates the one cut power back from the scheme. Not impossible but IMHO not likely either.
Maybe just me but I don't see why a FB would stop you from having a strong inside game either with leads blocks via FB or put him the edge to add power to the stretch etc. I mean in the "old days" FBs were used a lot and teams didn't shy away from pounding you on the inside. I just think you need (we need) some bread and butter + plays we can rely on to build drives around and it can't be the same recipe we saw last season.

Bottom line, the more diversified the O (especially with the basic element of a reliable run game) the more you can build the O outward and attack both vertically - horizontally and between the tackles.

As far as the OL, nowadays it's hard enough to get a group together that excels at IZ or OZ or pass Pro let alone all three. We sucked OZ last year and did OK with IZ but didn't seem to build on that very much. If we're going to be heavy IZ (as dictated by OL) then we need a RB who fits that script. At least that's my take...

NO to Achane.

Hedging your bets on a small undersized RB when all of Miami's Divisional opponents play in cold-weather cities is not my ideal. The elements and physicality can effectively stone-wall speed.

Evans, Charbonnet, or Izzy IMHO are more ideal fits.

Man eff the running backs. How about you do a deep dive on the linebackers we need?

I would say Grier's track record is about getting players his coaches want. I think Fangio is going to look at our LBs and ask for and ILB, but I see Grier addressing that in FA. I also think we may add a secondary player in the draft, but I'm leaning S over CB. I expect that McD will review the season and lament not being more balanced and focus on adding a RB. I expect we'll re-sign Mostert and Wilson and add a RB in the draft and probably some low level FA RB(s) as well.
After watching the excellent play of both offensive lines in the SB, that could be addressed higher than I originally thought.

I think it depends on how McDaniel views some developmental linemen like Jackson.

I could see safety over corner, or even both positions addressed in the draft.

If Mostert and Wilson are both brought back, I think we're likely looking at a late round RB.

After watching the excellent play of both offensive lines in the SB, that could be addressed higher than I originally thought.

I think it depends on how McDaniel views some developmental linemen like Jackson.

I could see safety over corner, or even both positions addressed in the draft.

If Mostert and Wilson are both brought back, I think we're likely looking at a late round RB.
All about the value. I’ve been pretty adamant about not drafting a running back high for a while now but by most people’s accounts this draft is one of the deepest at RB in a long time. If we can get a guy in the 4th round with a small trade back who can be a 1a/1b rotational guy then I think the value is there

I thought it was interesting that the two teams with the highest percentage of RPO usage this season were Philly and KC. It kind of highlighted the ridiculousness of all those posts saying they didn't like the use of RPO in our offense this last off-season.
So true. That wasn’t me, love the RPO and felt Tua’s RPO footwork from mesh to throw is the best I’ve ever seen.

In general I’m not a draft a RB early guy, but we have 0 backs under contract and it’s a great draft for RB’s, so this year- yeah draft one! Charbonnet or Gibbs earlier, or Mitchell, Chase Brown, or Xach Evans a bit later.

I kid I'd like the Fins to look at is Hunter Luepke from North Dakota State. He'll be listed as a FB in the draft but was used as both a running back and full back at NDSU. Also was a great receiver, has a little wiggle, and can definitely punish defenders with his running. He's projected as high as round 3, but doubt he'll go that high because he'll be listed as a FB and there are a lot of good RB's in this draft. I hope we trade for picks in rounds 4 and 5 which might be a good place to grab him. Don't believe me, check out his tape after a quick search. Interested in what j-oof-er-doll thinks of him.

Man eff the running backs. How about you do a deep dive on the linebackers we need?
Because Grier took Tindall last year and is probably dug in that he will produce next year... just like he's been dug in with Austin Jackson. Once Grier takes a guy at a position he usually doesn't double dip at that position in a timely manner.

Also we have an offensive HC who's scheme is very dependent on a good running game. I just don't see us using many resources on the ILB position. For edge/OLB we have Phillips and Chubb so he definitely isn't spending significant resources on that spot.

Linebackers are easy, They are not expensive in free agency, and can be picked all over the draft and even in UDFA. For example. we signed Neville Hewitt in UDFA and he played significantly. Plus CG and the Dolphins have had success with picking linebackers.
Front office has not had success on offense, anywhere really. All positions have been problematic for the front office.

All about the value. I’ve been pretty adamant about not drafting a running back high for a while now but by most people’s accounts this draft is one of the deepest at RB in a long time. If we can get a guy in the 4th round with a small trade back who can be a 1a/1b rotational guy then I think the value is there
Absolutely. Look at Pacheco who was drafted I'm the 7th. There will be bargains.

I also have no problem if Miami takes a RB at 52. As you said, just depends on value.

Back
Top Bottom