A message for all of you who claim Carey plugs our only hole | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A message for all of you who claim Carey plugs our only hole

I personally didn't like the swap of picks, but I don't mind the pick. I would have preferred to stay where we were and if the NE trade happened, then we would be ready to entertain trades to move down and get another OL. IK really do feel as though you should maybe count to 10 and relax on the apology deal. No offense intended.

davster82,

I have counted to 10, and I am still willing to do what is described if somebody takes the "Pepsi challenge". I am much calmer now that I know the arguments are a bit more nuanced than I thought they were, though.

Listen. If you argue this you are not a reasonable person.

IF there is a market for a player at #20, meaning 2 or more teams are going to pick the guy, IT IS NOT A REACH. It is clearly his market value.

Carey has been rated anywhere from 20 - 30 on almost everybody's draft boards.

We got Carey at 19, where it has been reported that 3 teams were interested in him. THAT MEANS IT WASN'T A REACH. And the kicker? He is an actual need for us. Sure he has his negative points, but guess what? Look around. What player picked there or after doesn't have question marks?

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

At least we didn't pay a #2 to move up one spot.

feelthepain said:
Seems to me that NE was just calling our bluff and we are now one draft pick lighter looks like Bill is smarter then our whole team. This was the dumbest move I've ever seen. With Smiley still there and Wilfork we could also have traded down to get more picks instead we do the worst thing thaty could have been done and not only pick a guy with a reach, we trade up ONE STINKIN SPOT, for a fourth rd pick, man we look dumber then MN last year missing their turn.

What do we have left 3,6,7,7, wow were going to make some noise with that crap. All the talk about a WR if there's one worth having in the third I'll be shocked. Rick is a baboons *** we did better with Wanny. I wonder if not only will I ever see a SB win but a decnt draft in my lifetime.

So along with having inside f-o information about the Dolphins YOU also have the inside scoop in the patsie f-o ?? :spit:

""Seems to me that NE was just calling our bluff "" How in the hell would ANYONE know this as fact that was not affiliated with N Englands war room ??

V Carey was the second rated o-lineman on the Dolphins draft board... It was the coaching staffs obligation to attempt to draft him,, that is WHY they hire scouts so they can address teams needs to build a list to go by on draft day !! :goof:

The Dolphins needed and offensive lineman and they drafted the second rated guy on most teams list... If the patsies were bluffing so be it !! If Belichick get's his rocks off by playing "draft games" LOL .......

:shakeno:

Marino1983

Bodzilla29,

I agree about the Browns.

I don't agree about the value portion, though. I think you make a good point that Carey isn't an Eddie Moore-like reach, but I believe I am standing on firm ground when I state that based on the best knowledge available to me, Willfork was the best player available and was therefore the better value.

My honest position on this is as follows:

Carey is a disappointment, but that's because I really thought we'd have Evans, Clayton, or Andrews. I don't hold that against RS or VC.

I am disappointed in RS for saying we would take BPA and not doing it. I really feel we did not do it based on the information at hand.

I still wonder if we couldn't have gotten VC at #20 instead of #19. I can see now that we have more information that it would have been a serious risk, though. I'm okay with the trade up, though I think we paid about as much as I ever would to move from #20 to #19.

davster82 said:
I personally didn't like the swap of picks, but I don't mind the pick. I would have preferred to stay where we were and if the NE trade happened, then we would be ready to entertain trades to move down and get another OL. IK really do feel as though you should maybe count to 10 and relax on the apology deal. No offense intended.

Don't you think that the Dolphins f-o was checking to see if there were ANY teams interesting in a trade out of the 20th spot ??? Maybe the compensation just wasn't enough or Speilman decided that V Carey was just too good to pass up at #20 ......

:rolleyes2

Marino1983

Marino1983 said:
Don't you think that the Dolphins f-o was checking to see if there were ANY teams interesting in a trade out of the 20th spot ??? Maybe the compensation just wasn't enough or Speilman decided that V Carey was just too good to pass up at #20 ......

Marino1983

I certainly hope so

Carey will be our starting RT on opening day barring injury. Not RG but RT. That is my Joe Namath guaranty! If that does no come to fruition I am going to apologize to my high school girlfriend for being late picking her up for the prom and to my dog for the time I forgot to feed him and to all those hot latinas I took pictures of sun bathing topless on Miami Beach last year when I was in town for the Redskins game. :cooldude:

Marino1983 said:
So along with having inside f-o information about the Dolphins YOU also have the inside scoop in the patsie f-o ?? :spit:

""Seems to me that NE was just calling our bluff "" How in the hell would ANYONE know this as fact that was not affiliated with N Englands war room ??

V Carey was the second rated o-lineman on the Dolphins draft board... It was the coaching staffs obligation to attempt to draft him,, that is WHY they hire scouts so they can address teams needs to build a list to go by on draft day !! :goof:

The Dolphins needed and offensive lineman and they drafted the second rated guy on most teams list... If the patsies were bluffing so be it !! If Belichick get's his rocks off by playing "draft games" LOL .......

:shakeno:

Marino1983

Well here's one thing I do know, we only have two picks in five rds as bad as we are on both sides of the ball we could have used the picks. Here's one for ya' Ogun could not be traded for a first and third but we paid a first and fourth for a gaurd thats never been to a probowl or played one snap in the NFL common sense tells you we paid far too much for a gurd that would have fallen to us without giving up our fourth. There is no way NE would have givin MN a fourth to move ahead of us we are the only idiots to do that. Even if they had, we still would have been better off trading down for picks. As far as I understand there were teams trying to trade up with us.

Something to consider...

Had Miami not moved up a spot to draft Carey and someone had come in and stolen him...say the Patriots...

we would have all been absolutely killing Miami for not getting a top flight OL...

I don't like giving up a fourth round pick...but Miami needed a talented lineman and they got one.

Maybe they got screwed when Andrews went off the board, but I can't even tell you that I wouldn't have rather had Carey for his flexibility.

I think Carey was a good pickup for us. Is it the best pick ever? Certainly not. But, some other trades today include:

Giants: Phillip Rivers, 3rd Round 2004, 1st Round 2005, 5th Round 2005 for Eli Manning. Effectively 2 1st, a 3 and a 4 to move up 3 slots.
Browns: 2nd Round pick to move one slot.
Bills: Second, Fourth and 2005 First for the 22nd Pick (Losman).

I don't think we got screwed here. RS has indicated he was the 3rd player he wanted to take in round 1, and the other two were off the board. He chose to trade up and take the player.

As to other needs, I think we do need to look at DT, but I would rate that need after Safety and LB, and maybe WR (likely tied with WR).

Carey sounds like a good player, appropriately valued at 19 (given 2 other teams were looking to take him there, according to reports) and fits nicely into one of two slots we could use help in, most likely RT.

It's the picture we don't see

Not one of us knows exactly what was going on during the draft today. I think we made a great pick. He's athletic with attitude. I guess Wale wasn't that coveted huh?

Does he get us to the Super Bowl? Give me a break and have another beer. The line works as a group, NOT INDIVIDUALLY. New England won the Super Bowl with a bunch of guys thrown together. He's a piece of the puzzle. I think he has a huge upside.

Let's see who we draft going forward. Many stars show their metal coming out of later rounds. Have fun.

feelthepain said:
Well here's one thing I do know, we only have two picks in five rds as bad as we are on both sides of the ball we could have used the picks. Here's one for ya' Ogun could not be traded for a first and third but we paid a first and fourth for a gaurd thats never been to a probowl or played one snap in the NFL common sense tells you we paid far too much for a gurd that would have fallen to us without giving up our fourth. There is no way NE would have givin MN a fourth to move ahead of us we are the only idiots to do that. Even if they had, we still would have been better off trading down for picks. As far as I understand there were teams trying to trade up with us.

So do you call yourself "miss cleo #2" ??? :rolleyes2

:lol:

Marino1983

Jimmy James said:
Bodzilla29,

I agree about the Browns.

I don't agree about the value portion, though. I think you make a good point that Carey isn't an Eddie Moore-like reach, but I believe I am standing on firm ground when I state that based on the best knowledge available to me, Willfork was the best player available and was therefore the better value.

My honest position on this is as follows:

Carey is a disappointment, but that's because I really thought we'd have Evans, Clayton, or Andrews. I don't hold that against RS or VC.

I am disappointed in RS for saying we would take BPA and not doing it. I really feel we did not do it based on the information at hand.

I still wonder if we couldn't have gotten VC at #20 instead of #19. I can see now that we have more information that it would have been a serious risk, though. I'm okay with the trade up, though I think we paid about as much as I ever would to move from #20 to #19.

You are basing your WHOLE argument on an opinion. How do you know Wilfork was Miami's BPA? Look at where Boomer had him ranked in his DT rankings, what if Rick had the same opinion? Wilfork fell a long way, menaing there were a lot of ??? about him.

I would understand your argument a lot more if a reputed top 5 player were available and we passed on him, but we are talking about a player 20 teams passed over, NOT Robert Gallery or Sean Taylor.

Bodzilla29 said:
You are basing your WHOLE argument on an opinion. How do you know Wilfork was Miami's BPA? Look at where Boomer had him ranked in his DT rankings, what if Rick had the same opinion? Wilfork fell a long way, menaing there were a lot of ??? about him.

I would understand your argument a lot more if a reputed top 5 player were available and we passed on him, but we are talking about a player 20 teams passed over, NOT Robert Gallery or Sean Taylor.

I'm basing my argument on a relatively large body of information that suggests Wilfork is a better player than Carey. That is what BPA means, and it doesn't change from team to team IMHO. I would love to be able to sit down with RS and ask him who he thought was the better player without regard to position to know for sure if it is a difference of opinion there or if it was a need/value difference of opinion, but I will likely never have that chance. I'm entitled to not be very happy with RS if I feel he blew this evaluation. If I'm not, then I want you to go tell every person who isn't high on Fiedler that they can't be because he was the guy chosen by the coaches and they don't know better than the coaches. I think that makes my point. Virtually everything here is opinion based.

Your top 5 player item is spurious because we were picking at 19 at highest. By definition, a top 5 player wasn't going to fall to us. If Taylor fell and we didn't take him, you'd be saying there were lots of questions about him.

Back
Top Bottom