A message for all of you who claim Carey plugs our only hole | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A message for all of you who claim Carey plugs our only hole

Dang JJ......It will take months for you to recover from this thread. No matter what you meant, it comes across like sour grapes and folks are flaming you, rightously I might add. :shakeno:

In any event, I appologize for anything that I may have said, thought or dreamed reference OL as the phins only hole. Hope this can put this thing to bed. :D

I personnaly like the Carey pick....everything I have seen so far ref RS is just plain good. No shockers, no reach (thats right folks...Carey was NOT a reach IMO) just sound, smart football. Lets see what tomorrow brings. If we can get 1-2 players that make the team, this draft will be like the rest of this off season, a success. ;)

Jimmy James said:
I do not believe in drafting for need. The FA market is for need, and the draft is for the future. This is my draft dogma, and the Miami selection has offended it. I appear to have bitten off a bit more than anticipated, but that's honestly what I think message boards are best for. I like to argue a position that is a bit more radical than I otherwise would because it brings out a wider range of arguments. Don't we see it here?

I can respect disagreement, but I don't like being told that I shouldn't take exception to what happened when we were assured that the team would be going after BPA in this draft. The team could have been up front about needing to take players to fill holes, but they chose not to do so. This combined with the attitude of others in other threads is exactly why we are where we are right now.

Jimmy, IMO, you're half right about the draft. The first rnd or 2, you take players that will help you now and be probable starters. The later rnds are, yes, for future needs, giving guys a chance to develope, etc. or for just "fodder" picks. I realize you wanted Wilfork with the pick but i think Oliver explained it pretty well. But in any case, OL was a much greater need than DT. besides, what makes YOU think we didn't take the BPA? i hope you're not concluding that since Wilfork was "mocked" to go ahead of carey that it makes him the BPA. Most folks had udeze as the 1st dE to be drafted, but yet he was the 3rd. But as far as the team being "upfront" with us, i wasn't aware that they HAD to divulge anything to us at all. But would you have rather we addressed D more again and let the O just get by, again? Everyone should know by now that does not work, around here anyway.

Jimmy James said:
Note to newbies and others who can't figure out how messageboards work: This is just the start of a day-long discussion. Don't respond to this -- read the whole thread and respond only if you have something that is fresh in some way.QUOTE]

So, are you the only one that knows how a message board works? Hate to break it to ya, but alot of folks may not have the time to read the whole thread b4 responding, especially multiple page threads, so you may as well get used to it. maybe you do and that's fine, but don't try and bS others into thinking that this IS the way a board "works". I, myself, hardly ever read a whole thread 1st. A page at a time maybe, but when i read som'n to re: to, I'll do it then. If "my" method doesn't suit you, well, sorry 'bout that!!

Phinsdude said:
You want to know Bottom line. We have older players, we do not make the best of our draft picks. We hear and read how important draft picks are. Isn't now the time, with solid veterans starting, to bring in younger players to learn and gain experience. It's funny how the fastest pick in round one was Udeze at 20. I think the Vike's liked him, knew they were going to get him, and the Phins got suckered. Vike's wanted Udeze all along. Forgetting that. If anyone, and I mean anyone thinks Vernon Carey is better then Vince Wilfork, you are absolutely wrong, but, for all you that do, we have plenty of opp to see him in our Division. We have no picks this year, and can anyone say we feel great with our O-line with probably 3 non starting players making their first starting season. And what happens next year, and the year after. We are trading 2005 picks away already too. Sorry Franchise, very sorry, but I do love them.

no one knows who the better player is right now. Keep in mind that it is just your opinion and not a fact. With that said, Carey was a better pick for uS than Wilfork. See, OL was clearly a more pressing need than DL. It's funny how you apparently wanted Wilfork just so we won't have to block him with out OL the way it is. Well, we only have to face Wilfork twice with "this line" but have to play 14 other gms as well. Could it be that you're just pizzed cuz he went ot a div rival?

Jimmy James said:
If New England took Carey and Carey was the best OL on my board, I would have entertained offers for the pick and prepared to take the BPA if no trade presented itself. I believe it likely that a trade would have happened based on the subsequent activity, but I would have taken BPA. That may have been Wilfork, it may have been Jackson, or it may have been somebody else.

Now THAT'S a horse of another color!! ;)

Bodzilla29 said:
Listen. If you argue this you are not a reasonable person.

IF there is a market for a player at #20, meaning 2 or more teams are going to pick the guy, IT IS NOT A REACH. It is clearly his market value.

Carey has been rated anywhere from 20 - 30 on almost everybody's draft boards.

We got Carey at 19, where it has been reported that 3 teams were interested in him. THAT MEANS IT WASN'T A REACH. And the kicker? He is an actual need for us. Sure he has his negative points, but guess what? Look around. What player picked there or after doesn't have question marks?

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

At least we didn't pay a #2 to move up one spot.

Well said, bod !!

feelthepain said:
Well here's one thing I do know, we only have two picks in five rds as bad as we are on both sides of the ball we could have used the picks. Here's one for ya' Ogun could not be traded for a first and third but we paid a first and fourth for a gaurd thats never been to a probowl or played one snap in the NFL common sense tells you we paid far too much for a gurd that would have fallen to us without giving up our fourth. There is no way NE would have givin MN a fourth to move ahead of us we are the only idiots to do that. Even if they had, we still would have been better off trading down for picks. As far as I understand there were teams trying to trade up with us.

NO WAY NE wouldn't have given up a 4th top move ahead?? How do you "know" this? OL was a primary need for both NE and Dallas. With all the picks NE has, I might say that it was a pretty good chance NE moves on it.

Jimmy James said:
I fully expect an apology and explanation from every one of you if this team does not win the Super Bowl. QUOTE]

This does not look like a proposition to me at all!

DeDolfan,

Anybody who sees that a thread goes on for 8 pages, reads only the first message, and responds is a jackass or a noob. If you don't want to read the whole thing, read the last page or so. Discussions move. That's the point.

Also, as you can see, it's not sour grapes that we didn't get Wilfork. I am upset that we didn't get BPA, and I am doubly upset now that I know Buffalo's trade up offer was likely on the table as well.

DBergan,

It isn't my concern that a bunch of people the message wasn't even directed to as per the title have taken offense. I am entitled to my opinion, and I frankly think most people who have participated understand that.

Jimmy James said:
DeDolfan,

Anybody who sees that a thread goes on for 8 pages, reads only the first message, and responds is a jackass or a noob. If you don't want to read the whole thing, read the last page or so. Discussions move. That's the point.

Also, as you can see, it's not sour grapes that we didn't get Wilfork. I am upset that we didn't get BPA, and I am doubly upset now that I know Buffalo's trade up offer was likely on the table as well.

DBergan,

It isn't my concern that a bunch of people the message wasn't even directed to as per the title have taken offense. I am entitled to my opinion, and I frankly think most people who have participated understand that.

Watch your mouth, BOY!!! :fire: :fire:

Wow Jimmy James not only knows who the best picks are but decides who posts on what threads. Wilfork fits w/ us best why? Yeah we needed to draft a backup rather thana starter. LOL Time to get over yourself!

I feel Miami did a good job considering who was on the board. I know we have some who wanted DT. There simply had to be something done to the oline,IMO. I do not think that we could have picked any better. The fact we missed the kids from LSU at DT was close. I think we would have taken him if Atlanta had not grabed him. either way,we got some good players and we will see how the rest of FA pans out before we lose our minds.Dolfanreal69

Ok . . . well I DID read the whole thread, and here is what I think (for anyone that cares). While I am excited about what Vernon Carey can bring to our line, I am disappointed in the move-up. I believe Rick knows what he is doing, and I am behind this draft 100%. However, I can understand JJ's point. There was no need to move up and give away that 4th round pick. If Carey was the BPA, he might have fallen to us anyway. If New England was going to move up and take him, I almost think you have to say "so be it." I say this because 1) Vince Wilfork was still on the board and a steal at 20 (IMO) and 2) the Pats had the ammunition and we did not. I just think we were not in a position to be competing (with draft picks) for Carey when either he or Wilfork were going to be there at 20.

Will Poole was a GREAT pick in the 4th, but I think you have to look at what we could have done in those rounds with our original 3rd and 4th. This is not meant to second guess as much as it's meant to play devil's advocate and promote discussion (and to maybe lend a little support to JJ!). Of course, we're dealing with hypotheticals . . . but I would be hard pressed to not say that Vince Wilfork in the first, a guy like Matt Ware in the third, and an OL like Kelly Butler in the fourth might benefit this team more than Carey/Poole . . . both in the short and long term.

Again, I'm in no way criticizing Rick. I am behind this draft all the way and hope to see Carey mauling people out of Rickey's way for years to come, but I do feel some of JJ's pain.

could some of you read some different stuff and find out what new england was doing and is denying? i think RS did what he thgought necessary to get the guy they really wanted, Vernon Carey. i only read the last page of this thread but i gotta say, it has degenerated into some stupidity since there is artcles being written on these very subjects.

DeDolfan said:
Watch your mouth, BOY!!! :fire: :fire:

If you do what I described, you need to get with the program and learn a little thing called netiquette. I know not to expect Joe Sixpack to have manners, but I do expect better from my fellow Dolphins fans because I like to think we're a cut above.

If you're offended, look to your own behavior first.

Back
Top Bottom