After Free Agency do we still have to trade up for QB? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

After Free Agency do we still have to trade up for QB?

It is my dream for another team to trade up to #3
And if Justin Herbert turned into Ben Rothlesberger and you could have him instead without having to trade up, would you take that, with a lower injury risk of course?

To be fair, I wanted Brees when he was coming out of Purdue, and over Culpepper. But you can’t do this in a vacuum as if the other guys are ****. What if Love turns into some version of Aaron Rodgers? You can speculate on all of them. Who’s got the higher ceiling? Who’s got the highest risk? That sort of thing...

In a hot second.

You keep pushing this theory that Miami can just take Herbert as if Herbert and Tua are equal prospects. They are not in most people's minds, so settling for the lesser prospect at QB is unacceptable to most. It's like when Andrew Luck and Ryan Tannehill came out together in the same draft. Luck was the better prospect even though Tannehill wasn't a bad prospect but there was clearly a delineation. Miami was able to sit where they were and get Tannehill but Luck was the better QB. There is no need for Miami to sit where they are now and settle for the lesser prospect at QB when they are in the advantageous position they are in now.
I agree Tua was the better prospect BEFORE his hip surgery. I have stated numerous times that I do not think Tua will hold up physically in the NFL and that is why I have no problem with the Dolphins drafting Herbert instead of Tua.
I have also stated that while I don’t expect Tua to have a long career in the NFL, I would be fine with the Dolphins taking the risk of drafting him at 5 if He is still on the board but I hope they don’t give up draft capital to move up to draft him.
If they draft him at 5 and he has a short career or no career at least they would have only used one first round pick on him instead of at least two first round picks if they trade up to draft him.

Any team that has Bridgewater (signed to a less than market QB contract), Can Newton, or Jameis Winston is STILL LOOKING AT DRAFTING A QB.

None of these guys is anything like guaranteed to still be in the NFL in 3-5 years.

I agree it will most likely be later in the season but Miami's rookie QB will get some starts in 2020.
That is possible, but may depend on the situation.

If we have some things go well, and have the potential to get into the playoffs, I think Flo is likely to ride out the "hot hand", whether that be Fitz, Rosen, or whomever.

Last edited:
Any team that has Bridgewater (signed to a less than market QB contract), Can Newton, or Jameis Winston is STILL LOOKING AT DRAFTING A QB.

None of these guys is anything like guaranteed to still be in the NFL in 3-5 years.

I would say more likely Panthers are going to give Bridgewater a year before that's what they do at this point. Bucs definitely more possible but I think that waits a year to groom under
Brady.

Yeah sure, maybe, but they don't necessarily need to pay the hefty price to trade all the way to 3 or 4 in front of us. They have good prospects with whom they've signed, and they can draft a DEVELOPMENTAL prospect behind them. That's the point. You sign Teddy Bridgewater and you are going to give him a shot to prove to you that he is your franchise QB. In fact, your first round pick is probably better served in investing in his protection and or weapons. Not trading up up massive amounts of draft capital to go all the way to 3 or 4, it's just common sense.

When it comes to trading up, I am not going to write off teams who already have QBs unless these QBs are under 30 and already a star.

While I pooh pooh the idea of trading up ourselves (mostly because I like several QBs that many of you don't), I do recognize that many teams are more than willing to mortgage their future if they have doubts about their in-house QB... especially if the teams have entrenched GMs who don't need to win right away.

I think many people here have been much too willing to say something like... That team signed a QB, so surely they won't trade up now.

I agree Tua was the better prospect BEFORE his hip surgery. I have stated numerous times that I do not think Tua will hold up physically in the NFL and that is why I have no problem with the Dolphins drafting Herbert instead of Tua.
I have also stated that while I don’t expect Tua to have a long career in the NFL, I would be fine with the Dolphins taking the risk of drafting him at 5 if He is still on the board but I hope they don’t give up draft capital to move up to draft him.
If they draft him at 5 and he has a short career or no career at least they would have only used one first round pick on him instead of at least two first round picks if they trade up to draft him.
Tua is still the better prospect. Nothing has changed. Tua got injured and now he has healed. He is cleared to do football activities and the doctors believe he is at no greater risk for reinjuring the hip. That's good enough for me to keep him rated higher than Herbert. To me, it was always going to be an all or nothing. Either Tua 's hip was going to heal and be healthy enough to play football again, or the hip wouldn't heal and he would be un-draftable. His hip has healed, so, game on. He should not be slotted any differently than if he didn't get hurt. All of those minor injuries are not even a factor.

When it comes to trading up, I am not going to write off teams who already have QBs unless these QBs are under 30 and already a star.

While I pooh pooh the idea of trading up ourselves (mostly because I like several QBs that many of you don't), I do recognize that many teams are more than willing to mortgage their future if they have doubts about their in-house QB... especially if the teams have entrenched GMs who don't need to win right away.

I think many people here have been much too willing to say something like... That team signed a QB, so surely they won't trade up now.
There is no future if you don't get a QB.

Totally agree with the premise that any team with a QB in the twilight of his career would be apt to make a move for the future.

Also, for those thinking that there are few teams with enough assets, I would point out that a lot of teams can package 2 1st rd picks if they use their 2021.

Tua is still the better prospect. Nothing has changed. Tua got injured and now he has healed. He is cleared to do football activities and the doctors believe he is at no greater risk for reinjuring the hip. That's good enough for me to keep him rated higher than Herbert. To me, it was always going to be an all or nothing. Either Tua 's hip was going to heal and be healthy enough to play football again, or the hip wouldn't heal and he would be un-draftable. His hip has healed, so, game on. He should not be slotted any differently than if he didn't get hurt. All of those minor injuries are not even a factor.
That is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it. I just think he has shown to be injury prone and my opinion is he won’t hold up physically in the NFL. I would love to have drafted Tua prior to the hip surgery but I just don’t feel that way anymore.
First and foremost though I am a Dolphin fan. If they draft Tua or if they don’t draft him, I am not going to be upset either way. If he is drafted by the Dolphins I will hope I am wrong about his ability to hold up physically and I will be rooting for him to have success with the team.

There is no future if you don't get a QB.

There are at least 6 potential starting QBs in this draft.

If you have a high grade on one of less popular choices, you can easily get your man.

Be funnier n hell if Tua's there and the FO picks Herbert or Love...

Realistically IMO if we build a very good offense around anyone of these guys we will be set with a very good QB...and thus feel lucky to be were we are in this draft with the availability of one of those 4.
Now is a healthy (?) Tua considered the cream of the crop, many think so including myself but we should not need (though even better) the top of the top in which he has to be a Dan Marino to win games, cause that ain't gonna ever happen in our life time. Only One Marino...

Build a solid offense and we'd be set JMO

Exactly brother. What would Herbert or Love done with that coaching and those receivers, and backs, and O-line if they had played at Bama past two years?

And if Justin Herbert turned into Ben Rothlesberger and you could have him instead without having to trade up, would you take that, with a lower injury risk of course?

To be fair, I wanted Brees when he was coming out of Purdue, and over Culpepper. But you can’t do this in a vacuum as if the other guys are ****. What if Love turns into some version of Aaron Rodgers? You can speculate on all of them. Who’s got the higher ceiling? Who’s got the highest risk? That sort of thing...

I'm not really trying tp predict what kind of career Tua will have, more trying to figure out what type of career will he need to have for people to be satisfied with paying the cost. For example as good as Aaron Rodgers has been, if Tua puts up big numbers for his career and leads Miami to one Super Bowl championship is that enough? Or if he has a Matt Ryan type of career with one super bowl appearance but no championships is that enough? Once you pay the price of two or three 1st round picks does the qb need to bring you two or three super bowl appearances to justify the cost?

Back
Top Bottom