After watching more film.... Rank the 3 WRs | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

After watching more film.... Rank the 3 WRs

How do you rank the 3 WRs....

• 1 Chase.... 2 Smith...... 3 Waddle

Votes: 70 30.0%
  • 1 Chase.... 2 Waddle..... 3 Smith

Votes: 55 23.6%
  • 1 Smith..... 2 Chase..... 3 Waddle

Votes: 65 27.9%
  • 1 Smith..... 2 Waddle.... 3 Chase

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 1 Waddle.. 2 Chase.... 3 Smith

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • 1 Waddle.. 2 Smith.... 3 Chase

Votes: 8 3.4%

• Total voters
I may be in the minority but the whole Dolphins not falling in love with one player thing is a little odd to me. Pitts, Smith, Waddle, and Chase aren't the same player. I would consider it almost a disservice for the front office to just let either of the 4 fall to them. I would hope that they have done their due diligence and have ranked these guys and have a clear cut number 1. That is of course if they are going to take a WR/Playmaker. Being undecided about ranking these guys is our job as fans. The GM and coach get paid to make these tough decisions. Just my humble opinion.

With that being said, my ranking changes daily. I would probably go Pitts, Smith, Chase, Waddle right now.
I understand this thought process but don’t agree with it. At some point, even very different prospects are not easily differentiated in terms of future success.

Chase, Smith, and Waddle are probably all going to be very good NFL players. They are also all very different. All have strengths that may carry them to greatness and weaknesses that may render them average. Realistically, I don’t think any scouting department in the league can tell you with any degree of confidence which will turn out best, and most scouting departments probably aren’t unanimous in their own internal evaluation of the ordering of those three. Nobody’s got a crystal ball.

So if you’ve got three guys with roughly equivalent odds of success on the board, and you can either throw a dart with all three on the board or move back, add an asset, and take whichever one falls to you, I’m firmly in the “add an asset and take whichever one falls to you” camp.

Now, if your eval sucks and they’re not all roughly equivalent and the two guys who go before your guy end up much better players, then that’s a scouting issue. But in terms of methodology, I don’t see any problem with having an essentially equivalent score on three different guys. For example, I bet the Bills had roughly equivalent scores on Mayfield, Darnold, and Allen (and maybe even Rosen) in 2018. They didn’t move up and make their own destiny—they took the one who fell to them, saved their assets, and it worked out. That’s good scouting.

Voted Smith-Chase-Waddle for the Fins at #6... That order would probably change depending on which team we're talking about. Whats really interesting here is I think all 3 have pretty similar odds of being top notch players, but are completely different in terms of skillset. So for me it becomes a matter of fit.

What does the Fins offense lack? What are the strenghts of the Fins QB? And how does the Fins offense intend to move the ball?

Accuracy and quick release are basically Tua's bread and butter elite traits. He's very comfortable in RPO concepts, can go through reads with eye discipline and good timing but he also doesnt like to force plays. Im pretty sure if you give him time, he'd get there and learn the intricacies of gun slinging but there's really no point in doing that IMO.

The Fins offense right now is built with pretty much all tall guys who's strenght are catch radius and contested catch but have trouble creating separation. They pretty much all require "forced throws" to be efficient. There are 2 guys on this team who can separate well, one cant catch and the other hasnt played football in a while and getting close to the "sorry but we are going younger" age.

This is why I think Smith is the best fit for this team, his skillset aligns perfectly with what the Fins lack and what Tua excels at and Im not even getting into the fact they've already played together. J-off(IIRC) made a point about Smith being the most ponctual of the bunch. I though that term, which was the first time I ever recalled being brought up, was perfect for Smith. Smith is where he needs to be when he needs to be, and for the most part, so is Tua.

Chase might be a better overall WR than Smith when its all said and done, I wouldnt bet against it. But I dont think he'll be happy in a bang bang offense, Chase will thrive with a QB who goes to him everytime he's one on one no matter how covered he looks and he'll thrive doing it. If the Fins had drafted Herbert, He'd be #1 on my ranking here. Herbert's game is alot more likely to to make Chase as good as he's supposed to be, timing here really doesnt matter, Herbert relies on his arm strenght to get there on time alot more than anticipation. Herbert isnt thinking of where his WR is going to be 3 steps from now, he's ripping it to where he is now, which fits into Chase's game.

The only reason Waddle is 3rd here is because the Fins arent quite ready for Waddle IMO. Not sure how to explain this in a coherent set of words but I feel like Waddle would be a sizeable upgrade over Wilson, which is a very nice thing, but at #6 I think you want to upgrade over Parker and Williams first. Trading up from #18 to grab Waddle(or Smith) if he falls, if you picked Pitts or Smith is really how you boost your offense exponentially while also justifying the Waddle pick. This is the absoltute homerun 1st for the Fins IMO. This is how you **** Buffalo up, not with LBs and RBs.

While I agree, just because the "world" loves Pitts doesn't mean Miami is.
True, but I’m not “stating” that he is definitely their target or even what they are thinking...he was “stating” their thinking....big difference!

I’m just saying that if he’s not in the top of their list... I have to question their thinking in my opinion.

I have an opinion which happens to be backed up by nearly everyone outside this board as to the value of Kyle Pitts....he is telling me what Flores and Greer are thinking...which one is more speculative in your opinion?
So when you said “...it’s what the Dolphins feel they need most...” you’re not speculating?

Agree in principle with picking for the type of receiver we will need. But given our specific collection of receivers it's hard to know! For example if Parker and Williams are hurt or hobbled for a significant part of the season (there's certainly some history) and Wilson is healthy and 95%+ of 2018 Wilson, and Bowden has normal yr 1 to yr2 improvement, and healthy Fuller - then Chase probably helps the most (or Pitts!) at least in the short term. But if Parker and Williams stay healthy and Fuller is injured, and Wilson is a shell of his old self or is in Flo's doghouse, then we're crying' out for Waddle. And if everyone's healthy-ish, then Smith may be the best option.

Smith is so freaking smooth. The guy doesn’t run he glides! It’s crazy the ONLY knock on him is his “weight.” Hilariously, not anything on tape! Not his release tech, not top of route, not a polity to seperate, not ability to high point, not ability to setup...not his head, shoulders or hips....

Once more his biggest knock is his weight. Which btw didn’t effect him one bit as he was eating the nations best defenders week in and week out like frosty flakes!

Smith on the board at 6? Dolphins better run that card up as soon as they can.
I also think he hurt himself by showing a fear to be tested. Pitts Wasn’t....Chase Wasn’t......

The nations best defenders play in the NFL...not amateur football.

Smith was surrounded by the best supporting cast in amateur football, that routinely controlled both lines of scrimmage with little trouble running the football.

None of that is to suggest the “Slim Reaper” won’t have a successful NFL career...it just suggests at pick 6 there is possibly....and in this case there are superior prospects possibly available

So when you said “...it’s what the Dolphins feel they need most...” you’re not speculating?
That’s common sense...they will draft the player they feel will be the most valuable to them on the Field and help them win.

Speculation is suggesting that you know for a fact Miami had as many as four receivers they’d be happy with at 6.

I also think he hurt himself by showing a fear to be tested. Pitts Wasn’t....Chase Wasn’t......

The nations best defenders play in the NFL...not amateur football.

Smith was surrounded by the best supporting cast in amateur football, that routinely controlled both lines of scrimmage with little trouble running the football.

None of that is to suggest the “Slim Reaper” won’t have a successful NFL career...it just suggests at pick 6 there is possibly....and in this case there are superior prospects possibly available

Right...I’m fine with the ultimate test he put on tape every Saturday!

Chase, Smith and Waddle
Chase size, Smith production and good health, Waddle great reciever and return man

That’s common sense...they will draft the player they feel will be the most valuable to them on the Field and help them win.

Speculation is suggesting that you know for a fact Miami had as many as four receivers they’d be happy with at 6.
I think I read it wrong, apologies, carry on

Interesting! How did Chase Young’s Pro day/Combine go?
Chase was a physical specimen that already had number one overall non-QB locked up....not a 160+ Rail thin receiver that certainly wasn’t in the same position.

Last edited:
Chase was a physical specimen that already had number one overall locked up....not a 160+ Rail thin receiver that certainly wasn’t in the same position.

So you got nothing?

Back
Top Bottom