Ajayi takes a shot at Miami Dolphins | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ajayi takes a shot at Miami Dolphins

I think Gase knew exactly what Drake could do. Don't forget that Gase is buddies with Saban. I'm surprised how strong he is and super shifty at the same time. He's a lot of fun to watch. Tannehill is going to love the new improved Kenyon Drake. Fix the oline and get a TE and this offense could be very good.

The NFL is going to ride Brady and Patriots until someone kills it for good.

Jarvis Landry owns athletic arrogance. Unfortunately he doesn't confine it to the result of the play itself, and even takes it to unnecessary lengths away from the ball during the play itself.

Speaking as someone who mostly agrees with you about Landry, let me also offer this thought: Landry has a problem controlling his temper, that much is very clear to everyone. But I think from the perspective of a football team, that's less of a problem than someone who puts themselves above the team.

For instance, consider that Ajayi actually took himself out of the game and had a sideline meltdown during the comeback against the Jets earlier this season. This was not reported after the fact by Armando or leaked by the team, but rather reported at the time by a national correspondent who was on the sideline. No Mike Tannenbaum or Adam Gase agenda there, just a guy reporting that a player had a blowup. Because his team had to throw the ball to win the game, and that meant that he, the player, wasn't going to get touches.

Meanwhile, I believe it was after that game -- or the Falcons game -- that Jarvis Landry gave a passionate, emotional on-field interview in which he implored a reporter to tell everyone 'about us.' He repeatedly used the words 'we' and 'us' to describe the game. Spontaneous and passionate in the moment, with a microphone in his face, Landry's immediate thought was to tell the world about his TEAM and his teammates.

So even though there are justified frustrations with Landry -- and I think that sideline fight might have been a last straw -- it's a much different frustration. It's the frustration of a team-first guy with an attitude problem versus a me-first guy with an attitude problem.

And as a disclaimer, I honestly don't blame Ajayi for being selfish. While I don't believe for a SECOND that he was traded when he was traded because of his knees, I do believe that his knees are bad and he knows it. Watching his legs when he runs, and seeing how he conducts himself, I think he is keenly aware that he only has one good shot at a big NFL payday. As a human being, I do not blame him for trying to make the most of it. But I'm first and foremost a Miami Dolphins fan rather than a good football players fan, so I'll always side with the team when a player puts himself above it.

I blasted the move to trade Ajayi, and still think they could have gotten better value, but the way things turned out makes me feel better about the situation. Ajayi turned out to be a bigger diva than I had thought, and Drake has added an element that even Ajayi couldn't provide. It would have been great to have both Ajayi and Drake in the backfield as a thunder/lightning combo but it seems clear that Ajayi's ego wouldn't let that happen.

Speaking as someone who mostly agrees with you about Landry, let me also offer this thought: Landry has a problem controlling his temper, that much is very clear to everyone. But I think from the perspective of a football team, that's less of a problem than someone who puts themselves above the team.

For instance, consider that Ajayi actually took himself out of the game and had a sideline meltdown during the comeback against the Jets earlier this season. This was not reported after the fact by Armando or leaked by the team, but rather reported at the time by a national correspondent who was on the sideline. No Mike Tannenbaum or Adam Gase agenda there, just a guy reporting that a player had a blowup. Because his team had to throw the ball to win the game, and that meant that he, the player, wasn't going to get touches.

Meanwhile, I believe it was after that game -- or the Falcons game -- that Jarvis Landry gave a passionate, emotional on-field interview in which he implored a reporter to tell everyone 'about us.' He repeatedly used the words 'we' and 'us' to describe the game. Spontaneous and passionate in the moment, with a microphone in his face, Landry's immediate thought was to tell the world about his TEAM and his teammates.

So even though there are justified frustrations with Landry -- and I think that sideline fight might have been a last straw -- it's a much different frustration. It's the frustration of a team-first guy with an attitude problem versus a me-first guy with an attitude problem.

And as a disclaimer, I honestly don't blame Ajayi for being selfish. While I don't believe for a SECOND that he was traded when he was traded because of his knees, I do believe that his knees are bad and he knows it. Watching his legs when he runs, and seeing how he conducts himself, I think he is keenly aware that he only has one good shot at a big NFL payday. As a human being, I do not blame him for trying to make the most of it. But I'm first and foremost a Miami Dolphins fan rather than a good football players fan, so I'll always side with the team when a player puts himself above it.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/miami-dolphins/0ap3000000866542/Jarvis-Landry-Postgame-Interview

I'll expand a bit even though it shouldn't be necessary since my themes don't change. Jay Ajayi was Dolphins' MVP in 2016, as the team made the playoffs for the first time since 2008. Last summer Ajayi was proposed as a league MVP candidate for 2017 in an article by NFL.com. There were Tannehill quotes in that article regarding Ajayi returning from California early to work on pass routes with Tannehill, and asking questions throughout the process so he knows what Tannehill is thinking on each type of route.

http://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/20...y-ajayi-selected-as-mvp-candidate-by-nfl-com/

Ryan Tannehill is not a great quarterback, someone who can sit back there and disregard all the league norms while throwing 31 times in the first half, as Brady did on Saturday. Tannehill benefits immensely from snaps under center and play action threat. I think that has been a consensus around here. I've certainly posted it countless times, including that we need a relatively high number of rushing attempts to aid Tannehill. Jay Ajayi was the first back who enabled that type of thing. He was young and had that swagger athletic arrogance, the type of ferocity that dictated the late going in both Bills games last season along with the Steelers game and other contests. It was the first time in years that I had an inner glee that we could line up and dictate with a running back, whether or not the opponent knew it was coming or not.

Somehow that is gone less than two months into the 2017 regular season. Not only is Jay Ajayi shipped away, but he's a locker room cancer, he won't follow his blockers, he's a liability in the passing game, his knees are shot to the point he won't be in the league much longer anyway. I'm sure I left something out. What were the other knocks on Ajayi? Certainly a handful more.

No, I don't respect that type of thinking. It avalanches against everything I believe in, everything that is logical. The foundational aspects are light years more significant than frantically overreacting to recency.

Instead of a wide scope view that it can't be good practice to trade away a young MVP running back for a late fourth rounder, we wait and react to whatever Drake (or whomever) did in Ajayi's place. Since he had many impressive wiggly runs of his own, we happily disregard Jay Ajayi and rationalize that the trade was necessary in Dolphin land, and now all is well.

That is a losing philosophy. It doesn't matter what Drake did. Just like it didn't matter what the Dolphins did with that first round pick in 2004. Once you give away a fourth round pick in panic to move up one spot with the Vikings, your mindset is on collective tilt. If you retain the caliber of thinking that was responsible for the Ajayi trade, you will fail.

Maybe Rick Spielman got over that trade later. Maybe he wouldn't do it now. I saw poker players who improved with age and experience, and likewise sports bettors. Adam Gase has many troubling tendencies right now. The desperation to hold onto his own players is not a positive. And this recent jettisoning of one assistant coach after another is just like the Ajayi situation. Almost identical. Every time I read that another name is gone it's like the panic to make sure to list yet another reason Ajayi had to be shipped away. It couldn't be two. It has to be five or six.

Adam Gase is an arrogant young guy who I still support. Apparently he had no clue that 2016 wasn't fully legitimate, even though everything pointed in that direction, like the point differential and YPPA Differential and all the bizarre unlikely rallies. Right now he's midstream in frantically making one change after another, to soothe himself. Jay Ajayi just happened to be the first one. We didn't know it at the time.

It will pay off for Gase if we stumble upon some legitimately great players. That has been the stumbling block all along.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe Ayayi was mad because we were winning by passing rather than running, would need to see that myself to believe it. As far as being selfish look at the ravens game and see who was busting his ass trying to prevent the pick six. If all he cared about were his own stats he would have just walked off the field during the pick six play.

I deleted and edited several posts in this thread.

Personal attacks against any member are not allowed no matter how much you disagree. The subject is Ajayi so get back to that discussion or your posts will be deleted and you will be banned from this thread.

It couldn't possibly be that Ajayi really screwed up pretty badly over a lengthy period of time in order to get traded for next to nothing in the middle of the season? Oh no, it was the HC's arrogance (oh, and the FO's too because it would take at least the GM and TB's sign-off for a trade like that). It might have had to been run past Ross no less.

Ajayi was good. But he wasn't enough of a difference maker to redesign the offense around him. You can infer things were pretty bad when coaches and GM who typically have a half life of 3 to 4 years are willing to risk trading a player as good as Ajayi was, that he was really screwing up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe Ayayi was mad because we were winning by passing rather than running, would need to see that myself to believe it. As far as being selfish look at the ravens game and see who was busting his *** trying to prevent the pick six. If all he cared about were his own stats he would have just walked off the field during the pick six play.

It's up to you whether or not to believe Peter Schrager. I do, because I don't know of any reason why he'd just make something like that up.

Another awful call against us the saints game the year they won the championship the db is running a turnover back clearly fumbles before he crosses the goal line for some reason there is no goal line view of the play on that play side. My *** there’s not

I’m getting real tired of feeling like the fix is in

6a00d83451b26169e20120a6367739970b-pi

I could really give 2 craps about him....to be honest, I am glad his prima donna, look at me ass is outta here. No QB protecting, pass dropping, drama queen!

Back
Top Bottom