Alex Smith is a huge smokescreen! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith is a huge smokescreen!

Agent51 said:
Or you will see what a waste of a pick he is and cry yourself to sleep when Benson and Brown are setting rookie rushing records and he sets rookie passing records, for lowest completion % and most INTs. This debate is dumb and played out. I listen to what all the "pro Smith" people say, and AGREE that we need a good franchise QB, yet everyone refuses to listen to the people, like myself, that think a capable QB can be drafted later. This board (a big part anyway) changes who "would be the best player for this team" and "who they have wanted all along" every few days. That makes for a real strong argument when you switch constantly. No new workouts have been done, no new combine, so what suddenly makes everyone want Smith today over Brown three days ago? Hype, heresay, and the dominoe effect, that's what. I'm done disputing Alex Smith because none of you can agree with, or even entertain, anything that isn't "WE NEED ALEX SMITH if we stay at 2" We shall see what actually happens on draft day, I stand by my Benson pick wether we trade down or stay at #2, and if not Benson, then one of the other two RBs. I also stand by McPherson, Orton, or LeFors as the later round QB pick, as I have since WAY before I even joined this board. If we pick Alex Smith next Saturday and he turns out to actually be worth it, then I will stand corrected and admit I was wrong on this board, but I don't forsee that happening. See how I said "I don't forsee that happening", meaning it is an OPINION? Not "That will never happen, we WILL take Smith if we don't trade down" like everyone else has said. I stand by my picks, have since the begining, not like a lot of people here who change them every other day and it always seems to change to what the majority wants, way to stick to yuor guns and have your own opinions.

Rookie rushing records? Man look around, you have two of the greatest runners in the league that are still in their middle 20's named Shaun Alexander and Edgerrin James, and their teams are trying to unload them, at the same time they are locking up their quarterbacks long term.

How many top ten quarterbacks do you see available for trade?

Does that tell you a little something about which position is easier to fill?

The problem you have is in understanding the value of each position.

Oh and by the way, I have been preaching quarterback since the beginning.

lotion said:
IF we pick Smith and IF we win a championship w/him you'll wear his damn jersey. :roflmao:

No, I won't.

And no, I don't think it's an immature stance. I DO NOT like Smith for our team, and I will not support him. I can't stress enough how dumb I think it is to use our 1st rounder on a QB. MAYBE I would come around after the draft IF we draft him, once acceptance sets in, knowing that as much as I hate it there is nothing I can do about it, but as of right now, and as far as I can see even if we draft him, I do not want him. I'm done defending the reasons why and all that, I just don't want him. And I am not comparing Saban to Dave in anything but PERSONAL draft preference. I never said Saban sucks at drafting like Dave, I said SHOULD Saban pick Smith I will be able to deal with it because I did during all the years Dave gave me heartbreaking picks. Smith would be a heartbreaking pick for Saban to me, thus making me "have to cope with it" like I did with Dave.

I think this is all so funny. Some people don't want this kid so bad that they refuse to believe it is possible to take him, and believe they know more about how good he will be than many GM's who are payed to do things like this. It is not so unfathomable that Saban doesnt see Feeley as anything special and really likes Smith. If that is the case then why shouldn't he take him. QB is the most important position on the field and success usually depends on having a good one. So if Saban doesnt see anything in Feeley and does in Smith then it would seem to me like a no brainer. Could this be a smokescreen? Sure. With Saban anything is possible, but to say that this is definitely a smokescreen seems a bit shortsighted.

BlueFin said:
Rookie rushing records? Man look around, you have two of the greatest runners in the league that are still in their middle 20's named Shaun Alexander and Edgerrin James, and their teams are trying to unload them, at the same time they are locking up their quarterbacks long term.

How many top ten quarterbacks do you see available for trade?

Does that tell you a little something about which position is easier to fill?

The problem you have is in understanding the value of each position.

Oh and by the way, I have been preaching quarterback since the beginning.

I didn't say YOU change, I said a big part of this board. You can't tell me people don't jump ship everytime a new prospect becomes the topic of a few posts, being for QB all along you should see that. You were prolly preaching QB to everyone in all the Ronnie Brown posts and now you suddeny have a bunch of those Ronnie Brown posting about Alex Smith. A few days ago the huge debate was Braylon Edwards or Mike Williams, before that it was Brown or Benson, now its Alex Smith. And No, it tells me that the teams can't afford to keep both, not that RB is easier to fill. If I were the Colts I woulda dumped edge to resign peyton and marvin too. I don't exactly get why the seahawks chose Hasselbeck over Alexander, but who does. I don't have a problem understanding the value of the positions, I know the game, and I know that QB is most important, and I never said I'm not for a QB, again, for the millionth time, I said "I DON'T WANT TO SPEND A FIRST ROUNDER ON A QB BECAUSE I DON'T FEEL LIKE WE SHOULD PASS ON BENSON OR BROWN". If Benson or Brown or even Wlliams weren't in this draft, and if you take out Mike Williams and Braylon Edwards too, then I would be all for Alex Smith, I just think DEFINATELY 2 of the three RBs are better picks, probably williams too, and I'd pick one of the WRs before Alex Smith too. He isn't a SUPERSTAR standout to me, and I'm not the only one who has said it, I'm just the one who gets the angry replies because I am adamant about it and willing to defend it. I like the QBs we could get in the 2nd or 3rd round a lot better than the RBs we could get in the 2nd or 3rd round. Either way the QB is gonna sit, so take RB in 1 and QB in 2 or 3 and work with him over those two years, as opposed to having a 1st round pick sit for a year or two, AND passing up on one of the big 3 and taking a RB 2nd or 3rd and having him not be as the immediate game changer we need him to be. Then instead of a sitting QB for 2 years and a crazy good RB like one of those three we are stuck with a sitting QB and an average RB. Nobody seems to want to entertain this fact though, that we can wait and get a QB in round 2 or 3 that is better than a RB in those same rounds, its just all ALEX SMITH this, ALEX SMITH that

Agent51 said:
Tom Brady = 6th round pick, thus proving my point that the sh*ttiest looking QB on draft day can become the best looking stud a few years down the road, THAT'S what I am going to say.

And no, I don't "just hate Smith", I never cared one way or the other util everyone started wanting US to take him. I never thought he was worthy of the #1 OR #3 (cleveland pick) he was touted as. I don't hate SMITH, but I hate Smith as our first round pick and the "future of our team"

and here is what i'm going to say...you can also draft a rb in the late rounds (ex. t. davis...broncos)...proving my point as well...that a late round rb can become a stud a few years down the road.

i have one question for you...what is the most important position on a football team?

hint...QB not RB...no doubt about it.

Go Fins!!!

BlueFin said:
I will support whatever Decision Saban makes at this point and be happy, no matter if its Brown, Smith, Edwards or Williams, because until he proves otherwise, I will assume he knows better than me.

good statement there. i am in complete agreement.

i worry about smith because he hasn't taken a snap from under center, and he will have to learn in the nfl. the ability to read while dropping back, something we as fans take for granted, is a difficult thing, multiplied because he hasn't even done it against a slower college defense. i'm not saying it's impossible to learn, but it's not an automatic thing.

that said, there are concerns with everybody who could be taken at #2. as saban said, "there is no julius peppers." i'm gonna be accepting of whatever comes our way on draft day.

Sal Lisitano said:
and here is what i'm going to say...you can also draft a rb in the late rounds (ex. t. davis...broncos)...proving my point as well...that a late round rb can become a stud a few years down the road.

i have one question for you...what is the most important position on a football team?

hint...QB not RB...no doubt about it.

Go Fins!!!

A lot of credibility was lost in that statement because ITS THE BRONCOS, who the hell CAN'T succeed at RB there? Think he would have done as good anywhere else? I don't.

I already said QB is the most important position, but I STILL say Smith isn't worth #2 overall. 1st round RB, 2nd or 3rd round QB, "that's my story and I'm stickin' to it"

Agent51 said:
I didn't say YOU change, I said a big part of this board. You can't tell me people don't jump ship everytime a new prospect becomes the topic of a few posts, being for QB all along you should see that. You were prolly preaching QB to everyone in all the Ronnie Brown posts and now you suddeny have a bunch of those Ronnie Brown posting about Alex Smith. A few days ago the huge debate was Braylon Edwards or Mike Williams, before that it was Brown or Benson, now its Alex Smith. And No, it tells me that the teams can't afford to keep both, not that RB is easier to fill. If I were the Colts I woulda dumped edge to resign peyton and marvin too. I don't exactly get why the seahawks chose Hasselbeck over Alexander, but who does. I don't have a problem understanding the value of the positions, I know the game, and I know that QB is most important, and I never said I'm not for a QB, again, for the millionth time, I said "I DON'T WANT TO SPEND A FIRST ROUNDER ON A QB BECAUSE I DON'T FEEL LIKE WE SHOULD PASS ON BENSON OR BROWN". If Benson or Brown or even Wlliams weren't in this draft, and if you take out Mike Williams and Braylon Edwards too, then I would be all for Alex Smith, I just think DEFINATELY 2 of the three RBs are better picks, probably williams too, and I'd pick one of the WRs before Alex Smith too. He isn't a SUPERSTAR standout to me, and I'm not the only one who has said it, I'm just the one who gets the angry replies because I am adamant about it and willing to defend it. I like the QBs we could get in the 2nd or 3rd round a lot better than the RBs we could get in the 2nd or 3rd round. Either way the QB is gonna sit, so take RB in 1 and QB in 2 or 3 and work with him over those two years, as opposed to having a 1st round pick sit for a year or two, AND passing up on one of the big 3 and taking a RB 2nd or 3rd and having him not be as the immediate game changer we need him to be. Then instead of a sitting QB for 2 years and a crazy good RB like one of those three we are stuck with a sitting QB and an average RB. Nobody seems to want to entertain this fact though, that we can wait and get a QB in round 2 or 3 that is better than a RB in those same rounds, its just all ALEX SMITH this, ALEX SMITH that

Its a lot easier to get a franshise running back in the later rounds than it is to get a QB in the later rounds. Fact.

Tom Brady was a once in a lifetime thing.

This year has one of the best runningback drafties in decades. The chances of getting great runningback in the 2nd is A LOT greater than getting a great QB in the second.

Many would argue that RB is not worth a 2nd overall
You are clearly uneducated.:roflmao: :tongue: :lol: :rolleyes: :evil:

"And the winner is.... the logical posters who see what the facts are with drafting QBs and RBs." *raises posters' hands.*

*pats Agent 51 on the head*

"It was a good try"

Agent51 said:
A lot of credibility was lost in that statement because ITS THE BRONCOS, who the hell CAN'T succeed at RB there? Think he would have done as good anywhere else? I don't.

I already said QB is the most important position, but I STILL say Smith isn't worth #2 overall. 1st round RB, 2nd or 3rd round QB, "that's my story and I'm stickin' to it"

Well...I respect your opinion...but I'm pretty damn sure that there have been rb's taken in late rounds who have been pretty damn successful...just like there have been qb's taken late and have turned out great.

If it isn't Smith...I think it will be B. Edwards...I've said this before in other threads. I can't wait till draft day...GO FINS!!!

Go Fins!!!

kizzaboo said:
"And the winner is.... the logical posters who see what the facts are with drafting QBs and RBs." *raises posters' hands.*

*pats Agent 51 on the head*

"It was a good try"

nobody is going to be "right" or "wrong" in this argument until a few years down the road. picking someone at #2 doesn't automatically make him a franchise QB or RB. it's a matter of evaluation. these are people who have to go out and do a job, not madden characters that are the results of a bunch of numbers.

Sal Lisitano said:
Well...I respect your opinion...but I'm pretty damn sure that there have been rb's taken in late rounds who have been pretty damn successful...just like there have been qb's taken late and have turned out great.

If it isn't Smith...I think it will be B. Edwards...I've said this before in other threads. I can't wait till draft day...GO FINS!!!

Go Fins!!!

See, THIS is what makes debates fun, when people can keep it factual and respect each other's ideas and things like that. Clearly I am too "uneducated" and lack the "logic" to post OPINIONS though, according to Kizzaboo, so screw it, I retire from this debate while agreeing to disagree. Usually debates are fun things, this one has been nothing but a headache and pain in the @ss. I got bashed for being "uneducated" and having "no knowledge of the game" etc etc because I wouldn't change my stance on no QB in round 1, when if that is the case everyone else is no better than I allagedly am because they refused to see MY POV. At least I considered theirs (alex going #2 to us) and then debate as I saw fit, everyone else was just like "no, a round 2 or lower QB will never succeed, blah blah blah, kyle orton has love handles etc etc". Childish, see ya in a different topic

kizzaboo said:
Its a lot easier to get a franshise running back in the later rounds than it is to get a QB in the later rounds. Fact.

This year has one of the best runningback drafties in decades. The chances of getting great runningback in the 2nd is A LOT greater than getting a great QB in the second.

so this is like a lottery? you just guess based on what position is more important and hope the numbers come up? that's great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzaboo

DPlus47 said:
so this is like a lottery? you just guess based on what position is more important and hope the numbers come up? that's great.

He's only 16, he is "clearly uneducated"

DPlus47 said:
nobody is going to be "right" or "wrong" in this argument until a few years down the road. picking someone at #2 doesn't automatically make him a franchise QB or RB. it's a matter of evaluation. these are people who have to go out and do a job, not madden characters that are the results of a bunch of numbers.

But I do know who won the arguement... it wasn't about if Alex Smith is going to be good or not. It was about what is the better option, QB then RB or RB then QB.

Obviously it is easier to get a great QB in the 1st then it is later in the draft. Runningbacks are dime a dozen. Its only logical and has been proven through history.

I don't think I've seen anyone else on this board other than Agent 51 who refuses to listen to reason or except facts.:roflmao:

Whether or not Smith pans out or not if we draft him is a different arguement.

Back
Top Bottom