Alex Smith is a huge smokescreen! | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith is a huge smokescreen!

Agent51 said:
Quote:
He's only 16, he is "clearly uneducated"

And the sad part about it is that I'm not even out of high school or completed my senior year of football and I still know how much easier it is to get a great RB in the later rounds than it is in the later rounds.

Agent51 said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzaboo
Its a lot easier to get a franshise running back in the later rounds than it is to get a QB in the later rounds. Fact.

Tom Brady was a once in a lifetime thing.

This year has one of the best runningback drafties in decades. The chances of getting great runningback in the 2nd is A LOT greater than getting a great QB in the second.

Many would argue that RB is not worth a 2nd overall
You are clearly uneducated.:roflmao: :tongue: :lol: :rolleyes: :evil:

He's only 16, he is "clearly uneducated"

He is only 21, he is"clearly uneducated"
Don't even bring that in here please. Just because the guy is 16 doesn't mean you have to bash him for that. Geez.

I do not see the Alex Smith that the rest of you guys do.

I see a guy that was a 2nd-3rd round projection only 4 months ago.

I see a guy that ran a "gimmicky" offense against less then stellar competition.

I see a guy with "less then desirable" arm strength.

I see a guy that every "expert" agrees will take 2-3 years to play.

I just do not get the hype.

Im not saying Smith wont be a decent QB in 3 years.......

I just thought it was much more realistic when he was projected as a 2nd-3rd round guy.

But thats me and my opinion.

DPlus47 said:
so this is like a lottery? you just guess based on what position is more important and hope the numbers come up? that's great.

Not quite. I base my position on what the better option is by looking at the drafts in the past, the depth in this years draft, and the NFL today.

Great Runningbacks are all over the NFL. Heck, many of them are on the trading block as we speak.

Franchise QBs are all locked up in thier current teams right now. None are on the trading block. Why? Because they are 10 times harder to find a franchise QB then it is to find a RB.

Franchise QBs are rare and hardly ever come up in the later rounds. Most Franchise QBs come in the 1st Round.

Great Runningbacks are found much more often in the 2nd rounders and aren't drafted nearly as much in the 1st round in most drafts.

Please... someone tell me that all of that isnt the truth, or do you still think Im making this up?

SleepWithDaFish said:
Don't even bring that in here please. Just because the guy is 16 doesn't mean you have to bash him for that. Geez.

Don't worry it didn't hurt my feelings. Look who said it and how old they are.. Maybe they are the one who should have thier age say '16' in thier profile. :shakeno: :rolleyes:

Alex Smith is going to be a very good QB in this league. I say we try to trade out of that #2. But if the Bucs aren't gonna ante up what it takes to get the Second overall, I say we take Alex Smith.

As for him being the next Ryan Leaf or whoever else, you are right there is one of those guys in this draft, and his name is Aaron Rodgers.

why not somthing like this

We Need all of this stuff, And nobody here can be that happy going into a season with Feeley/Ferrott, i do like Feeley but no way he leads us to a super bowl. With Smith he is Very Very smart and would know all the plays, not to mention he is very mobile, even sorta knows Linehans System. But I would like Mike Williams, or one of the 3 backs...Maybe if he kept tradiing down,say to 7, we could get a WR, then use some of the those 2/3rd picks we picked and trade up for one of the remaining Rbs? Somthin like that??

SleepWithDaFish said:

Dude, read the previous posts, the reason it was in " " was because it was a DIG at a comment HE made.

And being out of high school or past senior year on a football team has nothing to do with knowing about getting a great RB in a draft, so don't even play that card like you're all special or something, because with that logic I would be more knowledgable than you because I am in college playing semi-pro ball. You don't KNOW anything, you have an opinion. NEITHER us of will be proven right or wrong until the draft is over and the season starts and we see the performance of the picks. You are making statements like every year is the same too; "even I know how much easier it is to get a RB in later rounds than it is a QB" (paraphrased, cuz Mr. Smart High Schooler who isn't even in his Senior football year yet left a few words out of the original statment) except my argument is that THIS YEAR not only does Alex Smith NOT strike me as the #2 overall pick, but also that the QBs that will be there in the 2nd or 3rd rounds are much more intriguing than the RBs that will be there in those rounds.

kizzaboo said:
Not quite. I base my position on what the better option is by looking at the drafts in the past, the depth in this years draft, and the NFL today.

Great Runningbacks are all over the NFL. Heck, many of them are on the trading block as we speak.

Franchise QBs are all locked up in thier current teams right now. None are on the trading block. Why? Because they are 10 times harder to find a franchise QB then it is to find a RB.

Franchise QBs are rare and hardly ever come up in the later rounds. Most Franchise QBs come in the 1st Round.

Great Runningbacks are found much more often in the 2nd rounders and aren't drafted nearly as much in the 1st round in most drafts.

Please... someone tell me that all of that isnt the truth, or do you still think Im making this up?

maybe it's due to a lack of reading comprehension, maybe it's due to a lack of writing ability, maybe it's due to a lack of desire to communicate, but people here aren't communicating. what you're saying is true, but if the team doesn't believe that any of these QB's is a potential franchise QB, then isn't it silly to take one of them? you have to deal with the actual facts in front of you, not concepts. it all comes down to which player saban wants at the right price, not anything that has happened in the past or any value charts. nobody thinks you're making anything up, a lot of people are arguing something that is irrelevant to what happens on draft day to try and make a point. it's funny, because in the past, there have been a ton of "best player available" arguments here around draft time, when wanny picked players nobody wanted at positions of need. now, "best player available" has to mean "best quarterback available" or you get called "uneducated" or worse.

I Love SABAN.....I DO believe SMITH is a Smokescreen. I think Saban wants TB to trade up 3 spots for Smith, which then might cause a DOMINO effect making Minnesotta trade up with the Fins new #5 pick and giving us their #7. Remember the Vikings got rid of Moss to get that #7 and take one of the big 2 WR's.....well as time went on Braylon and Mike have been moving up the draft boards and neither of them might get past #6 to the Titans. Hopefully we make everyone in the top 10 nervous and we use it to our advantage. At #7 we can still find one of the 3 RB's, maybe a top WR,Possibly The BEST Defensive player, or worst case scenario the best OL on the board. That doesn't seem so bad, right?
Hey, remember that the Vikings these past two years have been the joke of the draft. Remember that they were LATE turning in the name of the player they want for 2 straight years, making them move further down in the draft. They can easily get Nervous that one of the big 2 WR's will fall off the board before either of them gets to #7. The Vikings NEED a WR, and if we end up with that 5th pick and there's only one WR left MINNY will need to pull the trigger.
I dont have a problem with #7....as long as we're in the top 10 we're good. And don't forget all the 2nd rounders and 3rd rounders we've accumulated if we do those trades with TB and Minny.

Agent51 said:
Or you will see what a waste of a pick he is and cry yourself to sleep when Benson and Brown are setting rookie rushing records and he sets rookie passing records, for lowest completion % and most INTs. This debate is dumb and played out. I listen to what all the "pro Smith" people say, and AGREE that we need a good franchise QB, yet everyone refuses to listen to the people, like myself, that think a capable QB can be drafted later. This board (a big part anyway) changes who "would be the best player for this team" and "who they have wanted all along" every few days. That makes for a real strong argument when you switch constantly. No new workouts have been done, no new combine, so what suddenly makes everyone want Smith today over Brown three days ago? Hype, heresay, and the dominoe effect, that's what. I'm done disputing Alex Smith because none of you can agree with, or even entertain, anything that isn't "WE NEED ALEX SMITH if we stay at 2" We shall see what actually happens on draft day, I stand by my Benson pick wether we trade down or stay at #2, and if not Benson, then one of the other two RBs. I also stand by McPherson, Orton, or LeFors as the later round QB pick, as I have since WAY before I even joined this board. If we pick Alex Smith next Saturday and he turns out to actually be worth it, then I will stand corrected and admit I was wrong on this board, but I don't forsee that happening. See how I said "I don't forsee that happening", meaning it is an OPINION? Not "That will never happen, we WILL take Smith if we don't trade down" like everyone else has said. I stand by my picks, have since the begining, not like a lot of people here who change them every other day and it always seems to change to what the majority wants, way to stick to yuor guns and have your own opinions.

What happened to the QB's selected after Losman????? Ever heard of ANY of them since then??? My point exactly...you're just like Speilman/Wanny last year...you want to get the next Tom Brady. How well did Feeley turn out? Alot of people on here would agree he definately wasnt worth a 2nd round pick. It was a mistake to try and go the cheap *** way and attempt to pick up a star QB...not going to happen. Its very rare and a team is truly lucky when it happens, they dont intend on that player being a star from the getgo.

T.R.U. FIN3 said:
No I don't love Ronnie Brown. What I would like is for Saban to take that player with the most long term value like you said. IMO I believe that that will be one of the 2 big play WR's. We need gamebreakers that can contribute now, not 2-3 years down the road. Now don't get all bent out of shape, Alex Smith is a great player. However, we need to get someone that can come in and have an impact now.

WHY DO WE NEED AN IMPACT PLAYER NOW?? Saban has said he is rebuilding for the future in the draft...for a player with the most value LONGTERM. We are NO LONGER the "WIN NOW" Miami Dolphins, that attitude never worked because we were never ready to make the run without a true starting QB..and we WILL NEVER BE until we get one. It should be a very clear sign that we need to take a QB high in a draft when the past 3 years there has been a competition between our starter and the 2nd string......

nepaica said:
Have you guys seen where at least one scouting service says this guy isn't even a 1st round talent?

And Dan Marino was on drugs.........maybe Dewars, but that is legal.

kizzaboo said:
But I do know who won the arguement... it wasn't about if Alex Smith is going to be good or not. It was about what is the better option, QB then RB or RB then QB.

Obviously it is easier to get a great QB in the 1st then it is later in the draft. Runningbacks are dime a dozen. Its only logical and has been proven through history.

I don't think I've seen anyone else on this board other than Agent 51 who refuses to listen to reason or except facts.:roflmao:

Whether or not Smith pans out or not if we draft him is a different arguement.

And you just proved my point even further by TOTALLY contradicting yourself in this very statement, so just give up. You say the argument wasn't about if Smith is going to be good or not (which it IS, because I have been saying he ISN'T this whole freakin' argument) but who is the better option. Then you go on to say "wether he pans out or not is a different subject (which it isn't, because the REASON I don't want him is BECAUSE I say he won't pan out, thus the same argument). You wanna talk about refusing to listen to reason or except facts, look no further than yourself for that. You have no LOGICAL explanation or dispute to backup the people who say he was a product of Urban Meyer's system, and the shotgun offense. He doesn't have very desirable arm strength, he has to learn to take snaps from under center AT THE NFL LEVEL since he was all shotgun in college. I don't know about you, but If I'm investing this much ina damn QB I'd AT LEAST want him to know how to freakin run formations other than shotgun..........you listen to the facts, then come back and debate when you practice what you preach

Phinfan31 said:
What happened to the QB's selected after Losman????? Ever heard of ANY of them since then??? My point exactly...you're just like Speilman/Wanny last year...you want to get the next Tom Brady. How well did Feeley turn out? Alot of people on here would agree he definately wasnt worth a 2nd round pick. It was a mistake to try and go the cheap *** way and attempt to pick up a star QB...not going to happen. Its very rare and a team is truly lucky when it happens, they dont intend on that player being a star from the getgo.

Excellent point. I read an article about the Patriots and Belichick had two guys in mind when drafting a QB. Their names were Tim Rattay and Tom Brady.. Rattay was initially rated higher than Brady, but luckily for the Patriots, Rattay was selected before Brady. So the Patriots went with Brady. Talk about lucky..

You just don't know what you are getting with those late round QB picks, that's why I believe that Smith would be an excellent choice at #2.

Back
Top Bottom