Alex Smith vs Ryan Tannehill | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith vs Ryan Tannehill

At year 6 he was 29 and we missed the whole season. At year 7 he will be 30

Provided health there’s no reason he can’t play thru another contract extension given he’s a pocket progression qb that doesn’t rely on his legs as his meal ticket

At year 6 he was 29 and we missed the whole season. At year 7 he will be 30

Provided health there’s no reason he can’t play thru another contract extension given he’s a pocket progression qb that doesn’t rely on his legs as his meal ticket
it not big deal his age,

If something happens to tanny again in 2018 I’d bet you all the money in my wallet that gase would get 2019 to draft his qb and be here until 2020 at least.

2018 tanny and mid round
2019 top pick all in qb
2020 results or walk plank

They will fire front office people first. Grier wears the first target

I would love the above timeline but the problem is what if nothing happens to Tannehill and if things stay status quo....aka Tannehill puts up decent numbers but not great or bad and the team is mediocre like most other years. Then what?

Also mid round qbs are great for development and some end up turning out to be good starters but we don't have Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers as our starter, where the draft pick can just sit and learn indefinitely. You want a franchise qb you probably gotta draft him early in the first, like top 10 maybe even top 5. I wouldn't even bother with a mid round qb this year. Team lacks talent all over, I'm not wasting a pick on a guy that's gonna hold a clipboard all year.

I would love the above timeline but the problem is what if nothing happens to Tannehill and if things stay status quo....aka Tannehill puts up decent numbers but not great or bad and the team is mediocre like most other years. Then what?

Also mid round qbs are great for development and some end up turning out to be good starters but we don't have Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers as our starter, where the draft pick can just sit and learn indefinitely. You want a franchise qb you probably gotta draft him early in the first, like top 10 maybe even top 5. I wouldn't even bother with a mid round qb this year. Team lacks talent all over, I'm not wasting a pick on a guy that's gonna hold a clipboard all year.

If he drops a 95 qbr this year they aren’t gonna move on from him. If he drops a 100 they will plan on him being the guy thru his next contract

Gase really likes tannehill barring injury and it would probably have to be the same injury to the same leg even this marriage isn’t breaking nor should it

If he goes down early enough next year barring mid round far exceeding expectations as a rookie miami will have another top 10 pick and can put all its eggs in the go get a qb draft basket plus get out of tannys contract

But acl injuries are pretty common and guys come back from them all the time. Even guys that rely on cut ability like rbs WRs etc. Todd gurley Keenan Allen

Just got to hope the football gods are done with us

Alex Smith just put up this type of season

68% completion
4000 yards
26 TD
5 INT
104.7 QBR

Someone tell me when Tannehill has or ever will put up numbers like this. Alex Smith was and is a better QB than RT.

Yet if I'm the GM I dont trade for Smith. I ride out RT one more year in a prove it season and draft a QB in waiting at #11.

Someone tell me when Ryan has 12 seasons under his belt. Someone tell me if I need glasses looking at Alex Smiths first 5 years as an NFL QB.

It's not all that.

Do you guys think Chiefs fans would take Tannehill over Smith? What teams fans do you think would actually want/trade what they have for Tannehill?

I don't think it would be very many and even maybe 0. Just saying

Fans don't make the choice ownership / management does.

Yeah, no kidding. The point is that according to "the Man" himself and his physicians the knee was healed. So it was, in fact, two ACL injuries.

No, it was not "in fact" two injuries. I've explained this at length in another thread. It's a lazy argument in an attempt to detract from Tannehill further.

In short, ligaments that are torn never heal to 100% on their own. it was a re-injury of the same weakened ligament.

(A) disagree that he had it worse
(B) They played different schedules in different divisions. Take a look at Luck's record against NE. They win zero division titles and fewer games if they are in the AFCE.

Really were back to this again?

2012 Colts Defense #21--Run O #22--OL #31
2012 Dolphins Defense #7--Run O #17--OL #23

Luck went 4-2 in a division in which the other 3 teams won 20 games and he went 2-2 vs the east. Overall his division as a whole went 31-33
Tannehill went 2-4 in a division in which the other 3 teams won 24 games and he went 1-3 vs the south. Overall his division went 31-33

Tannehil was 2-4 vs winning teams
Luck was 3-3 vs winning teams including 2-2 vs the north winning against the 10-6 Packers and 10-6 Vikings so he might just do alright in a tougher division.

100% agree he wins 0 division titles but why would he win fewer games? Unless things have changed he would only play the Pats twice if he was in the East. Thats still 14 games against other team including the rest of the east which last I checked wasn't that great. Its 100% possible to have 1 team dominate a division and for other teams in the division to still compete for a WC. The Packers won the North from 2011 to 2016 the Viking or Lions won a WC 5 of 6 of those years. Since 2009 the NFC North has had 2 playoff qualifiers 7 of 9 years.

I'm not saying Luck has always had it worse but at times such as 2012 he had it worse, worse defense, run game and OL. Yes Philbin sucked but so does Chuck Pagano.

No, it was not "in fact" two injuries. I've explained this at length in another thread. It's a lazy argument in an attempt to detract from Tannehill further.

In short, ligaments that are torn never heal to 100% on their own. it was a re-injury of the same weakened ligament.

Yea I disagree, although it is a pretty pointless argument either way.

Tannehill is going to have two full rehabs. I mean when you hurt something, heal it, hurt it again and have to heal it again, that is two injuries.

Several pre camp reports that the state of Tannehill's knee was as good or even stronger than before he injured it and equal to if he had surgery.

Now I was skeptical of not having surgery as well but like I said in other threads i am in no position to doubt question the knowledge of team doctors/Dr. Andrews and their synopsis . . Outside of me googling ACL injuries. None of us saw the initial MRIs so we don't know the state of the knee.

Truth is, Miami/Tannehill probably heard the timeline on the surgery route, got extensive consultation on the options and liked what they heard about stem cells and rehab knowing it wasn't a full tear and knowing Ryan would be back for all offseason activities and went that route.

They looked like geniuses until that rollout in camp. Ultimately everybody wishes they just opted for surgery in the end.

Tannehill is going to have two full rehabs. I mean when you hurt something, heal it, hurt it again and have to heal it again, that is two injuries.

Several pre camp reports that the state of Tannehill's knee was as good or even stronger than before he injured it and equal to if he had surgery.

Now I was skeptical of not having surgery as well but like I said in other threads i am in no position to doubt question the knowledge of team doctors/Dr. Andrews and their synopsis . . Outside of me googling ACL injuries. None of us saw the initial MRIs so we don't know the state of the knee.

Truth is, Miami/Tannehill probably heard the timeline on the surgery route, got extensive consultation on the options and liked what they heard about stem cells and rehab knowing it wasn't a full tear and knowing Ryan would be back for all offseason activities and went that route.

They looked like geniuses until that rollout in camp. Ultimately everybody wishes they just opted for surgery in the end.
The ligament that was damaged is now replaced. The situation is exactly the same as if he had the surgery initially. One repair = one injury.

like you said, it is a pointless argument, really. I'm just going to point out what I've bolded. His injury was most likely not 100% healed. Torn ligaments just don't heal like that. I think they took a calculated risk and it was the wrong choice.

Really were back to this again?

2012 Colts Defense #21--Run O #22--OL #31
2012 Dolphins Defense #7--Run O #17--OL #23

Luck went 4-2 in a division in which the other 3 teams won 20 games and he went 2-2 vs the east. Overall his division as a whole went 31-33
Tannehill went 2-4 in a division in which the other 3 teams won 24 games and he went 1-3 vs the south. Overall his division went 31-33

Tannehil was 2-4 vs winning teams
Luck was 3-3 vs winning teams including 2-2 vs the north winning against the 10-6 Packers and 10-6 Vikings so he might just do alright in a tougher division.

100% agree he wins 0 division titles but why would he win fewer games? Unless things have changed he would only play the Pats twice if he was in the East. Thats still 14 games against other team including the rest of the east which last I checked wasn't that great. Its 100% possible to have 1 team dominate a division and for other teams in the division to still compete for a WC. The Packers won the North from 2011 to 2016 the Viking or Lions won a WC 5 of 6 of those years. Since 2009 the NFC North has had 2 playoff qualifiers 7 of 9 years.

I'm not saying Luck has always had it worse but at times such as 2012 he had it worse, worse defense, run game and OL. Yes Philbin sucked but so does Chuck Pagano.
Sorry disagree and you won't convince me.

Back
Top Bottom