All In With Tannehill | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

All In With Tannehill

Last year Case Keenum was expected to be the Vikings 3rd qb behind Bridgewater and Bradford. Wasn't even a lock for the number three job. This year he's set to make $18 million.

Good point. Elway has made some solid QB decisions since Manning left.

I don't think this means all in... at least not for the future. It means we felt there were bigger needs and you couldn't pass on an elite prospect like Fitz in the first round. The Dolphins probably wanted a QB at some point in the draft, but it never fell that way for them and they didn't want to reach for one when there was another guy they liked on the board.

Let's say we got a QB like Josh Rosen. We don't know how well he would play (if he even does) and the defense would still get abused in the middle of the field. Because we go QB first round, we might feel we have to focus solely on the defense so we totally pass on a TE like Gesicki. So we're left with a QB who doesn't play, possibly missing out on the TE to draft defense, and the defense would be worse without a player like Fitz (if he lives up to the hype).

All this happens and the team struggles to win games even with a healthy Tannehill because we decided to get a QB in the first round and other positions may have suffered. Gase and the front office is in trouble anyways because they aren't winning.

Tanny was the starter with or without a QB being drafted. It would be nice to have insurance behind Tanny, but we were all in regardless if we drafted a QB or not this year.

I think Miami is in better shape for doing what they did. If Tannehill is not the guy, the roster is still young and has potential, and you begin the QB search. The roster does not need to be blown up because Tannehill isn't the answer.

i guess he's a mystery to you and a few others. not to most around here, and certainly not to the Dolphins and the rest of the league.

Isn't it something that the illiterates always tack an extra year on there? drafted in 2012, so he played 12,13,14,15 and was injured in 16. It's actually 4.75 years and he was giving elite output in 16 despite a talent deprived roster, mainly on the o-line.

Good point. Elway has made some solid QB decisions since Manning left.

Pretty sure keenum was scouted by their GM coming out of college pretty heavy and like him. Had a solid year last year, good for them. it's a short term deal from what I remember and drafting the best pass rusher was the smarter move than a potential bust at quarterback.

Pretty sure keenum was scouted by their GM coming out of college pretty heavy and like him. Had a solid year last year, good for them. it's a short term deal from what I remember and drafting the best pass rusher was the smarter move than a potential bust at quarterback.

Keenum went undrafted so I doubt teams were sold that he would even be a future backup. If you really think a qb has starter or number 2 potential you draft him. Just saying if a gm liked him coming out of college you would think they would have drafted him.

I'm fine with that, but it better work out or they can all **** off after next year. Anything less than a playoff win or a VERY close playoff loss and it's time to move on from all of them.

Nope. Ross through his words and actions is tying himself to Tannehill. The restructuring of Tannehill contract was the vote of confidence. They get til 2020, imo.

Well one thing is for sure, you can bet the FO and Gase feel that Tannehill's knee is fine! Let's hope this is the case.

Definitely a smoke screen. I knew it all along. But it was nice to Buffalo, and the Cardinals jump in fear. I really think Gase not sold on none of these QBs. He knows Tannehill is better.

Isn't it something that the illiterates always tack an extra year on there? drafted in 2012, so he played 12,13,14,15 and was injured in 16. It's actually 4.75 years and he was giving elite output in 16 despite a talent deprived roster, mainly on the o-line.

That oline came back post the 1-4 start, to help a RB get a few big games.

Tannehill run during that stretch of being a stones throw from CLE suckage, should be a part of said picture. His run was no different than those we see every year from certain types..be it Alex Smith, Tyrod Taylor or Mark Sanchez. Many examples of teams going on runs only to be exposed and petered on.

Consistency is what matters. And we have yet to see anything but consistent mediocrity from all involved.

That whole argument about "if Tannehill goes down this year our season is done for and everyone is going to get fired" seems to me to be a reaction by those that were disappointed we didn't draft a QB. You can say that about 90% of the teams in the league. Of course your season is going to suffer if your starting QB is injured - this is nothing new. However, the surgery Tannehill is coming back from has a high level of success at his position these days so his danger of experiencing a season ending injury is not significantly greater than any other starting QB.

The problem is that they don’t have a contingency plan.
If your QB has peaked and you are still dissatisfied with him than you would have an argument. In our case though we have a very talented QB that has yet to peak. I think that's a pretty good position to be in. As far as other teams being proactive, preparing for the future at QB is a luxury on a team with as many holes to fix as we have. I don't doubt that at some point in the next few years you'll most likely see a QB drafted but due to poor drafting in the past we are forced to roll the dice this year.

We have no idea whether Tannehill has peaked or not. He may very wel regress considering his rustiness due to time lost and return from injury which limits his mobility.

i guess he's a mystery to you and a few others. not to most around here, and certainly not to the Dolphins and the rest of the league.

If he’s not still a mystery in terms of “potential”, what is he then?

I don't think this means all in... at least not for the future. It means we felt there were bigger needs and you couldn't pass on an elite prospect like Fitz in the first round. The Dolphins probably wanted a QB at some point in the draft, but it never fell that way for them and they didn't want to reach for one when there was another guy they liked on the board.

Let's say we got a QB like Josh Rosen. We don't know how well he would play (if he even does) and the defense would still get abused in the middle of the field. Because we go QB first round, we might feel we have to focus solely on the defense so we totally pass on a TE like Gesicki. So we're left with a QB who doesn't play, possibly missing out on the TE to draft defense, and the defense would be worse without a player like Fitz (if he lives up to the hype).

All this happens and the team struggles to win games even with a healthy Tannehill because we decided to get a QB in the first round and other positions may have suffered. Gase and the front office is in trouble anyways because they aren't winning.

Tanny was the starter with or without a QB being drafted. It would be nice to have insurance behind Tanny, but we were all in regardless if we drafted a QB or not this year.

I think Miami is in better shape for doing what they did. If Tannehill is not the guy, the roster is still young and has potential, and you begin the QB search. The roster does not need to be blown up because Tannehill isn't the answer.

Gase is absolutely pinning his future with the Dolphins on Tannehill unless he’s received assurances from Ross that his future is safe regardless. At least by having a young guy on the roster he could spin it that he needs more time because he got this young guy to develop while he gave Tannehill one last shot. As it is, he has no way to spin it if Tannehill doesn’t pan out this year.

In fact, we are actually in worse shape now if Tannehill doesn’t work out because I believe both Cutler and Moore are better options than Fales or osweiler.

Definitely a smoke screen. I knew it all along. But it was nice to Buffalo, and the Cardinals jump in fear. I really think Gase not sold on none of these QBs. He knows Tannehill is better.
I think Gase loved Mayfield for the same reasons Dorsey and many of us did. Once he was taken out of the equation, I have the feeling based on nothing tangible and despite protestations, that they decided they'd take Rosen but only if he fell to us.

Allen with his inaccuracy going back to even JUCO, his 100yd games against the few formidable opponents, was never in play. Not sure about Darnold but there's the "Beware Factor" that kicks on for all USC QBs from Sanchez on (Remember that if Barkley came out early there was speculation he'd be a top 3 and Leinart started his last season with fans referring to the draft as the "Leinart Sweepstakes."). I never figured Jackson to be a factor considering in diplomatic terms that he's an "instinctive" QB, not the kind of cerebral one that Gase appreciates.

Anyway I could be very wrong, but that's the way I saw the first round playing out... and wouldn't be surprised if the Fins poobahs were as delighted with Buffalo's pick as were some of us.

This is exactly what I was saying before the draft. Either Gase believes in Tannehill and will stick with him and surround him with as much other talent as possible or he doesn't and will move up to get a QB in this draft. We now see the answer to that. I believe if Tannehill struggles, Gase may be out of here earlier than he wants. If he had drafted a young guy, he might have gotten an extra year or two to groom him if Tannehill struggled.

I think the strategy is crystal clear, wether you agree or not... Its Tannehill or tank in 2018... They just made sure that if Tannehill gets IRed, they are not going to win games, setting them up to draft a QB early in 2019... So with that in mind, why waste a pick on a project if your plan is to adress QB with a high pick in next year's draft if **** hits the fan?

there are 2 outcomes here...

1) Tannehill plays great and we didnt need to replace him in the first place...
2) Tannehill tanks or gets injured, and they go all in on QB in 2019's draft, in which case, the late round project doesnt figure in the plans going foward anyway...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom