Am I the only one that cringes at EVERY single trade up scenario ? | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Am I the only one that cringes at EVERY single trade up scenario ?

Since when do we have ANY guarantees that picking Tua, or any QB top 5 nets us a pro bowler? Aaron Rodgers was picked late 1st rd, Drew Brees, second round, Marino, end of 1st round, Lamar Jackson...I can go on and on. Point being is that trading multiple picks, especially in the 1st round to trade up for an injured prospect is foolish. As many have commented, we need an OL to protect the investment at QB, but with a leaky defense, you wont win games. There are so many holes, acquire picks and roll the dice on talent with BPA. We can make trades later with any abundance of one position. Its the Patriot way that has worked for decades and Flo comes from that tree.

Please dont trade up for Tua. If he is there at 5, maybe, but id rather see us take Simmons, Okudah, or Derrick Brown at 5 or trade back a few spots for more picks. Then get Jordan Love if you want to develop someone. Love has the athletic ability and mobility we need with a sub par OL.

Id also like to see what Rosen can do with a simplified offense and some protection.
Who is looking for guarantees? It's inarguable that you have the greatest chance to find a franchise QB at the top of the draft.

Why are you so scared to spend draft picks to the point that you're literally ok with sticking with Josh ****ing Rosen?

trade up? we should have the number one pick.

We don't and it's great that we weren't bad enough to acquire it.
I'll take 1000x more from seemingly having a coach and org that's about winning instead of one that's all about losing.

Hell, Bengals have the #1 pick. The future maybe brighter time will tell. But who's willing to trade our group for Zach Taylor and his bunch today?

I think the best thing that could happen is for Tua to be there at 5 and we draft him.......anything different than that and this site will crash hard with some people very happy, some people very unhappy and some people not knowing how to feel about it. I think it's safe to say that at least 85% of the people on this board would be happy if we drafted Tua. The difference is some people are fine with trading high picks to move up and some people are not.

Btw, we didn't trade all those players for high picks so that we could use them to move up. At least that's what Grier said. He said "we didn't do everything we did just for one guy." He also said "We would consider Tua but we'll look at all the players and do what we feel is best for the team"

Now maybe he will move up for Tua but he didn't sound like somebody that wants to use high picks to move up. Time will tell.

We don't and it's great that we weren't bad enough to acquire it.
I'll take 1000x more from seemingly having a coach and org that's about winning instead of one that's all about losing.

Could not agree more in a hundred lifetimes!

I think the best thing that could happen is for Tua to be there at 5 and we draft him.......anything different than that and this site will crash hard with some people very happy, some people very unhappy and some people not knowing how to feel about it. I think it's safe to say that at least 85% of the people on this board would be happy if we drafted Tua. The difference is some people are fine with trading high picks to move up and some people are not.

Btw, we didn't trade all those players for high picks so that we could use them to move up. At least that's what Grier said. He said "we didn't do everything we did just for one guy." He also said "We would consider Tua but we'll look at all the players and do what we feel is best for the team"

Now maybe he will move up for Tua but he didn't sound like somebody that wants to use high picks to move up. Time will tell.

It's like some of you follow a different team.

Can I assume Tua is the object of your desire, or is whatever Flo/Grier decides OK with you?
IMO, Tua is better than Burrow but I think you can win with both. I havent seen much of Love but Slimm likes him. Not really interested in much else, I’m not a fan of Herbert.

It's like some of you follow a different team.
Well my quote was from before yours. I said he could move up but I didn't make up what he said.......he clearly said that he didn't make all those moves just for one guy. After that at a later day he was asked if he had enough picks to move up and he said yes.....that doesn't mean he wants to do it. All he said at least imo was that he has the picks to do it.

Hey, I get that some of us have a lot of time invested in FH. That makes us think we have a finger on the pulse of what the people who matter think, or are likely to do. But, why should any of them care what fans on this board think, much less, how they react to draft results? Factionalization or consensus on this board certainly do not mean an event is going to happen, or is even likely. Isn't Ross paying well informed professionals like Grier, Flo and Co. to handle that for him?

Either the people who make the decisions can get the right players for meeting Ross' stated goals, or they can't. Only time will tell. Ross certainly won't make any changes to the organization based on what a few fans think. If the organization fails to reach thresholds, which only Ross is aware of as yet? Different story.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't give two s**ts about what the people here think should happen in the draft. As long as we end up building a sustainable winner of a team again. However, I suppose if everyone thought that way, we'd have nothing to debate here lol

Last edited:
Chris Grier: Extra 2020 picks give us flexibility in everything

Josh Alper
ProFootball Talk on NBC SportsApr 30, 2019, 7:52 AM

The Dolphins used a 2020 fifth-round pick as part of the package they sent to Arizona for quarterback Josh Rosen during the second round of the 2019 draft, but giving up that pick didn’t do much to thin out the cupboard for next year in Miami.

The team still has 10 picks at their disposal, including multiple picks in the second, fourth, sixth and seventh rounds, with expected compensatory picks to come. That surplus fits with the notion that the Dolphins are looking at this year as the first stage in a rebuilding effort, but General Manager Chris Grier has a slightly different take.

He called the picks an “added bonus” while remaining adamant that the team is trying to win now. He also notes that all those picks give them a chance to move in a variety of directions once they know what they need to do heading into the 2020 season.

“Obviously, the more picks you have allows you flexibility in any year,” Grier said, via Albert Breer of SI.com. “If there are players you really like in the current class, you can go get those players now. Or you build towards the future, and keep building the right way. If you acquire picks here and there, it allows you to do things in the future. It creates a lot of opportunity to stay very flexible in your approach in terms of what you want to do in the draft, free agency, everything.”

looks like he had every intention to use draft capital to move up or down

Hey, I get that some of us have a lot of time invested in FH. That makes us think we have a finger on the pulse of what the people who matter think, or are likely to do. But, why should any of them care what fans on this board think, much less, how they react to draft results? Factionalization or consensus on this board certainly do not mean an event is going to happen, or is even likely. Isn't Ross paying well informed professionals like Grier, Flo and Co. to handle that for him?

Either the people who make the decisions can get the right players for meeting Ross' stated goals, or they can't. Only time will tell. Ross certainly won't make any changes to the organization based on what a few fans think. If the organization fails to reach thresholds, which only Ross is aware of as yet? Different story.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't give two s**ts about what the people here think should happen in the draft. As long as we end up building a sustainable winner of a team again. However, I suppose if everyone thought that way, we'd have nothing to debate here lol
Oh I totally agree. People here get mad at each other for no reason. Nobody on this board will make any decisions as to who we draft or which trades we make. Nothing wrong with talking about it or debating of course. That's what the board is for but people getting so mad at each other makes no sense.

For the love of god, PLEASE just KEEP your picks and choose the best available player that fits a need. We gave up extremely valuable, young, cheap assets in Fitz and Tunsil to acquire the additional early picks, why would you piss the bed and give them away just to move up two spots?!!! We know Burrow and Chase Young will be two of the top 4 picks. If Tua is taken ahead of us, then so be it. Take Herbert. Take Love. If you aren't in love with either of them then take the best available player and take a QB next year. Draft a QB later in the draft. There are so many freaking options that do not involve giving away valuable picks. We have many holes to plug and our front office worked hard to acquire the draft picks necessary to plug those holes. Now use them. Don't blow through your cap space to fill them. USE YOUR PICKS on young, talented , hungry, prospects dying to prove themselves and willing to be developed. Trading up has never worked in the past for this team (Dion Jordan , Leonte Caroo to name a couple) and it's not going to work now.

Don't let the media and stupid fans and their obsession with certain players alter your decision making. Do your job.

Keep. The. Picks.
PREACH

I don’t think Washington moves from Chase Young. The only way they are guaranteed Chase Young is to stay at 2.

The draft starts with the Lions at Pick #3.
I love Okudah - think he is flat out best non QB in the draft - he is also a great fit from value/ need perspective for Lions.
Okudah IMO is so good that if I’m Detroit I want my cake and eat it too.

Trading down 1-2 spots for an additional 1st this year. Grab Okudah. Take a WR end of rd1 - that team isn’t bad on paper.
Great post

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know that Grier has ever traded up in the first round and I hope he doesn't start now. Trading a first or second is not worth it, and it makes Tua even a bigger risk than he already is.

Oh I totally agree. People here get mad at each other for no reason. Nobody on this board will make any decisions as to who we draft or which trades we make. Nothing wrong with talking about it or debating of course. That's what the board is for but people getting so mad at each other makes no sense.

Yeah, and I didn't need to make note of it, did I? Everyone knows it. Sorry, it's just getting on my nerves. :cheers:

I'll take that bet. Sure, Belichick will have solid teams that will be competitive, but there is no way he is dominating anything without Brady. This is exactly why I hope Brady leaves via free agency this year. It would be comical watching the Patriots try to win with the likes of the Andy Dalton's or Marcus Mariota's of the world. Oh by the way, the "QB" just beat the "team" in the last Super Bowl.
Bet? I never said the word bet. Nor even suggested it. I merely stated my opinion that Belichick is the Patriots' secret sauce.

But if you mean you disagree that Belichick is the secret sauce, and you think Brady is the secret sauce ... yeah, we disagree, which is fine. Brady missed one year to injury, and Belichick had not groomed the career-backup (both in college and the pros) Matt Cassel (I think that was his name .. he is so easily forgotten), and yet he still had double-digit wins and there was a real media impression that the Patriots would stick with Cassel and leave the aging Brady to trade. That was the year the Dolphins won the Division ... with the exact same record as the Patriots. That was a career-backup who rarely got any snaps thrust into the limelight and the Patriots barely had a speed bump. Cassel was a hot name in the FA market ... and he went on to prove he was nothing more than a journeyman QB who happened to look very good under Belichick. Yeah, I think Belichick will continue to dominate without Brady. Heck, the AFC Player of the month for the last month of the regular season was the resurgent Ryan Tannehill ... I can only imagine what Belichick could do with him, and he could be had for a song.

Brady is elite. He is a top shelf QB, without question he will be successful wherever he goes. Any team losing a QB of that stature will be worse off. I'm not saying that will not happen. But, I am saying that there will be very little transition time as the Patriots will be a 10 win team every year without Brady, and in short order (maybe 1.5 seasons) Belichick will replace him and be back to totally dominating the East and the entire AFC.

Back
Top Bottom