Another Direction | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Another Direction

all valid...still shocked the jags would go another season with gabbert when a top 5 prospect like barkley could be staring them in the face...but just so you know the exercise was a top 10 pick mock as it currently stands...so as it stands i could see minny taking blackmon at #2...i could also see claiborne there also...seems to me kalil at that current #2 spot is too rich though... i know this things gonna be fluid the next 4 weeks though...

anyways...as it stands miami picks #8 lets just say for exercise purposes luck barkley blackmon claiborne are all gone which is very possible and imo very likely...who's your guy at #8??? what says the rest of you???

i'm still pondering mine...

Kirkpatrick?

I know...it's probably not the right thing for them to do, to stick with Gabbert...but it's going to happen.

Let's see so you're saying Miami is at #8 and Andrew Luck, Matt Barkley, Justin Blackmon and Mo Claiborne are all gone. I hate to cop out but it's impossible to know who I'd pick without knowing what's happening with our systems offensively and defensively.

If we're assuming both systems stay the same, then I would probably lean toward Courtney Upshaw, who is an animal and will probably be a better complete football player for the defense than Cameron Wake.

i think i know where you're heading if we switched to a 43 also...

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Kirkpatrick?

hells no...once claiborne goes i'm done looking at cb in the top 10

all valid...still shocked the jags would go another season with gabbert when a top 5 prospect like barkley could be staring them in the face...but just so you know the exercise was a top 10 pick mock as it currently stands...so as it stands i could see minny taking blackmon at #2...i could also see claiborne there also...seems to me kalil at that current #2 spot is too rich though... i know this things gonna be fluid the next 4 weeks though...

anyways...as it stands miami picks #8 lets just say for exercise purposes luck barkley blackmon claiborne are all gone which is very possible and imo very likely...who's your guy at #8??? what says the rest of you???

i'm still pondering mine...

Either Upshaw or Floyd IMO.

If we switched to a 4-3 I would give strong consideration to Quinton Coples. He's not quite a Julius Peppers or something like that and I've been talking about his inconsistent effort since last year, but he is extremely gifted and has the potential to make a lot of plays in both phases.

If we switched to a 4-3 I would give strong consideration to Quinton Coples. He's not quite a Julius Peppers or something like that and I've been talking about his inconsistent effort since last year, but he is extremely gifted and has the potential to make a lot of plays in both phases.

yep...wake at one end odrick and starks at dt where i think they're both better fits anyways as quickness and penetration players and coples at the other end...i hear ya...

jason taylor on the street misi maybe a run down stay at home de replacement for wake to offset some of that lack of run support on that side in a 43

Ultimately I think the answer should be trading up from #8 so that Barkley is no longer off the board. If I'm in the scenario you described, then I will have already failed to adequately predict which teams are interested in Barkley, and/or failed to make a good enough offer to get up there and get him.

Either I'm confident Barkley falls to #8, or I trade up, at this point. Unless Barkley returns to school, in which case I'm Bleedin for Weeden.

i think i know where you're heading if we switched to a 43 also...

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

hells no...once claiborne goes i'm done looking at cb in the top 10

Haha. Fair enough.

I don't think Claiborne falls to 8th overall. If the Bills manage to lose out i think they seriously consider taking him with their first pick.

If Philly ends up in the top 10 I think they reach for a top rated 4-3 LB like Keuchly or Zach Brown.

I know...it's probably not the right thing for them to do, to stick with Gabbert...but it's going to happen.

Let's see so you're saying Miami is at #8 and Andrew Luck, Matt Barkley, Justin Blackmon and Mo Claiborne are all gone. I hate to cop out but it's impossible to know who I'd pick without knowing what's happening with our systems offensively and defensively.

If we're assuming both systems stay the same, then I would probably lean toward Courtney Upshaw, who is an animal and will probably be a better complete football player for the defense than Cameron Wake.

But that presupposes that I'm able to get Brandon Weeden with my 2nd round pick. If I have any question whether that could happen or whether he'll make it to that pick...then I have to do something with the 1st round pick to make sure I get the right quarterback.

Upshaw is certainly a good player and OLB prospect but he's listed by UA at 6-2, I'm guessing that he'll actually be around 6-1.5 as measured at the combine- colleges pretty much always cheat up. Given the Ireland/Parcells size template philosophy, I wonder if that will significantly effect how Miami views Upshaw. Even at a full 6-2, that's not what Ireland really wants height wise at OLB.

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/upshaw_courtney00.html

Ultimately I think the answer should be trading up from #8 so that Barkley is no longer off the board. If I'm in the scenario you described, then I will have already failed to adequately predict which teams are interested in Barkley, and/or failed to make a good enough offer to get up there and get him.

Either I'm confident Barkley falls to #8, or I trade up, at this point. Unless Barkley returns to school, in which case I'm Bleedin for Weeden.

absolutely...but in the event i can't get there right now to me its upshaw in a 34 or coples in a 43...thats the way i'm leaning...i don't see the value at cb in that pick i don't think we need a floyd or jeffries at wr this core is solid enough yeah i'd love to upgrade hartline but imo in time gates may be that guy anyways and its not a dire need...bess is what he is...quick in and out of his cuts good hips good short area acceleration but no sustained or top end speed pretty much a maxed out player...but this wr core imo should not be the target in the top 10...if its not qb pass rushing and power edge players should be the route...coples or upshaw...although i do want to see what kind of fluid hips upshaw has at the combine...still though we don't ask the solb to carry man coverage down the field anyways so its not a deal breaker for me if he's not all that fluid

yep...wake at one end odrick and starks at dt where i think they're both better fits anyways as quickness and penetration players and coples at the other end...i hear ya...

jason taylor on the street misi maybe a run down stay at home de replacement for wake to offset some of that lack of run support on that side in a 43

Honestly Coples would be a consideration even if we don't switch systems. If Mario Williams can be successfully converted to an OLB then so can Quinton Coples.

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

Upshaw is certainly a good player and OLB prospect but he's listed by UA at 6-2, I'm guessing that he'll actually be around 6-1.5 as measured at the combine- colleges pretty much always cheat up. Given the Ireland/Parcells size template philosophy, I wonder if that will significantly effect how Miami views Upshaw. Even at a full 6-2, that's not what Ireland really wants height wise at OLB.

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/upshaw_courtney00.html

I'm saying what I would do. I can't vouch for them, especially given past decisions.

If they take Weedon, does he immediately start due to his age? Or, do they start season with Moore? Obviously, preseason performance is a huge factor, so this may be a stupid, unanswerable question.

Also, I don't think I have seen you comment on Moore. Thoughts? "Good backup?"

coples probably could still be in consideration in a 34 but imo its a bit too much of a risk in the top 10...although i agree with your example...if mario williams can do it coples should be able to also...but i'm not sure you're playing to coples strengths that way

and no tyler...i do like floyd...i just don't see it being the value play for US...given our situation

Back
Top Bottom