Another Mutha Forkin’ Tua post. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Another Mutha Forkin’ Tua post.

A 2 yard pass that resulted in a 10 yard gain and a 1st down.

Better than an incompletion, INT or sack, no?

Joe Montana and Steve Young forged HOF careers partially out of passes under 5 yards.
I’m just saying it was a bit anticlimactic given the set up that’s all.

If you want to put your head in the sand, that's cool. You'll see the light by midseason, assuming Tua stays healthy, which again, is something he's not very good
You rooting for something to happen, doesn't mean it will

I dont see an arm strength chart. Let's go dude.

You rooting for something to happen, doesn't mean it will

I dont see an arm strength chart. Let's go dude.
I'm not rooting for anything that would impact the Dolphins adversely. However, I've watched Tua long enough to know it will. He doesn't have the tools for the NFL and is injury prone. You'll get there eventually.

I’m just saying it was a bit anticlimactic given the set up that’s all.

From that aspect, I get it.

It wasn’t the type of throw to leave anybody awe struck. That’s for sure.

But still not a throw everyone could make so accurately. Or even as decisively.

Last edited:
When targeting Waddle at Alabama, Tua had a 74% completion percentage, 137.9 passer rating, and 16.6 yards per completion.

That's our forkin' QB when u give him his favorite toy.

Until they prove me wrong, I have no faith in this Front Office being able to assemble a physically dominating o-line that is competent at both run-blocking AND pass-blocking. We've seen GMs and Coaching Staffs change, but the o-line continues to suck overall. IMO, the last physically dominant OL drafted by Miami was Jake Long. (It's too bad his career was cut short by injuries.) After Long, the next best was Incognito. Although he wasn't drafted by Miami, he was more physical than any other player drafted or signed by Miami since then... including 1st round picks Pouncey, James, and Tunsil. Many here will say that Pouncey and Tunsil were very good and James was decent, but I disagree.

That said, whether we agree or disagree on how good those guys were doesn't really matter. My point is that even after using multiple 1st round picks on the line, Miami, in recent history, still can't put together a good o-line. In hindsight I see why Miami has sucked for a long time, but I'll just concentrate on o-line problems during the past 15 or so years. I was never a fan of Parcells; under him the team had a decent defense and occasionally good running game, but he didn't put enough emphasis on the QB position and the passing game. Sparano's teams lost because although they could move the ball between the 20s, they didn't have enough talent at the offensive skill positions to score in the Red Zone. The o-line was decent (although they suffered through several turnstiles at RT) against the tough, physical d-lines of the Jets and the Bills, and when Miami lost to them it was usually due to that lack of talent at the skill positions and having to settle for FGs instead of TDs.

Enter Joe Philbin, and his short pass based offensive philosophy. As Joe started replacing Sparano's players with his own players, the o-line's performance took a nose-dive. Even with several 1st round picks anchoring the line, Tannehill was sacked more than any other QB during his first four seasons. Philbin preferred the short pass over the run, and this was reflected in the line's (in)ability to run-block. Scatback-type RBs occasionally got big gains by using their speed outside, but big plays up the middle were infrequent due to the line not being able to open holes. Gase, like Philbin, preferred using RBs as receivers out of the backfield rather than having a strong, physical running game. When it came to being able to convert 3rd or 4th and short on the ground, Philbin's o-line was below average, and Gase's line was even worse! Plus, while Miami's o-line under Sparano fared okay against the tough, physical d-lines of the Jets and Bills, the o-lines under Philbin and Gase were pushed around and physically dominated (even with Pouncey, James, and Tunsil), leading to harassed QBs and more losses.

IMO, the move away from the old-school type linemen is the reason why Miami can no longer protect their QB or dominate an opponent with the running game. Now, under Flores, the rookie linemen who were hyped as "maulers" have been anything but! Both Fitz and Tua were under constant pressure; Fitz had more success due to his experience, but Tua had to check down a lot. So, until the QB has better protection and the team can run the ball down an opponent's throat even when the defense knows they're going to run, my vote would be to replace EVERYONE in the Front Office involved with scouting, evaluating, and selecting o-linemen. It seems to me that the same people who thought Jonathan Martin and Dallas Thomas were legitimate starting material o-linemen are still with the team.
In 2016, Miami had 4 1st round draft picks on their offensive line. Alberts, Tunsil, Pouncey, and James. That's a heckuva investment in the O-line. It has been frustrating to see the front office investing so much with mixed results. And within 3 years none of these players were still with the Dolphins

Not sure what the OP was getting at. Even detractors of Tua know he can make a 4 yard pass going in either direction.

What we question is his arm talent to open up all areas of the field and his processing speed when his first target is covered.

I'm not a Tua hater myself, I'm more of a "Hes an average QB with slightly above average potential" camp.

The fact is though that clip doesn't show ne anything I didn't already know he could do.

His mechanics break down on longer throws to the right as he tries to get his body behind it. Those 4 yarders were never an issue to begin with?

I commented last season that I noticed a tendency that he throws mainly to his left. I'm not sure if it was by design (to cater to his strength) or if his progression reads were left focused... meaning he naturally looks left ... I don't break down tapes or watch the all 22 angles so I may be off base a bit.

One reply to my comment suggested it's because of the throwing motion to the opposite side is a throw across the body and it's hard to do... but I see Qb's make crazy throws left, right and middle all the time ... off balanced ... off one foot ... falling back ... whatever it takes to get the ball out to whoever is open ... these Qb's, for the most part, are play makers scrambling around for their lives at times throwing dimes many times ... guys that make chicken soup out of chicken $hit ... I haven't seen that from Tua .... we will see this season if he has that one intangible that separates him from a solid starting Qb in the NFL (Pennington, Alex Smith) or another super star (Rodgers, Brady)

I know the obvious ... he was a rookie ... no OL protection ... just came off a major injury ... doesn't have any help @ Wr ... blah blah blah .... Tua has shown he belongs in the NFL and he has shown toughness and resilience .... I look at next gen stats and see his pocket time (time to throw) is on par with some of the top Qb's ....

He hasn't shown he is the answer when things slide sideways IMO. We all hope he is the answer.

Build the team ... the Qb will follow

I commented last season that I noticed a tendency that he throws mainly to his left. I'm not sure if it was by design (to cater to his strength) or if his progression reads were left focused... meaning he naturally looks left ... I don't break down tapes or watch the all 22 angles so I may be off base a bit.

One reply to my comment suggested it's because of the throwing motion to the opposite side is a throw across the body and it's hard to do... but I see Qb's make crazy throws left, right and middle all the time ... off balanced ... off one foot ... falling back ... whatever it takes to get the ball out to whoever is open ... these Qb's, for the most part, are play makers scrambling around for their lives at times throwing dimes many times ... guys that make chicken soup out of chicken $hit ... I haven't seen that from Tua .... we will see this season if he has that one intangible that separates him from a solid starting Qb in the NFL (Pennington, Alex Smith) or another super star (Rodgers, Brady)

I know the obvious ... he was a rookie ... no OL protection ... just came off a major injury ... doesn't have any help @ Wr ... blah blah blah .... Tua has shown he belongs in the NFL and he has shown toughness and resilience .... I look at next gen stats and see his pocket time (time to throw) is on par with some of the top Qb's ....

He hasn't shown he is the answer when things slide sideways IMO. We all hope he is the answer.

Build the team ... the Qb will follow

More or less exactly how I feel. Great post.

I'm not rooting for anything that would impact the Dolphins adversely. However, I've watched Tua long enough to know it will. He doesn't have the tools for the NFL and is injury prone. You'll get there eventually.
Dude, go away. You offer nothing but hyperbole and conjecture.

What we question is his arm talent to open up all areas of the field and his processing speed when his first target is covered.

*WE* being those that for whatever reason didn't see him play enough to recognize that arm strength wasn't an issue when the dude was healthy and hadn't lost strength due to a major injury.

Processing speed also wasn't an issue when under a competent coordinator and having experience in the system.

Back
Top Bottom