Are the Dolphins purposely tanking in the 2nd half? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins purposely tanking in the 2nd half?

This is the first full game I have watched. (Usually watch redzone for my own sanity). But from what I have seen and heard here is that the team has been staying competitive before completely collapsing in the 2nd half (Bills, Chargers). Even though that stupid package with one D linemen let up that stupid play at the end of the first half, it was causing havoc the rest of the half. But they completely stopped doing something that was working in the 2nd half. Why?

Seems like they should have been happy to go to half at 14-3, why not run the clock out? Then all Blitz 3rd and 20 which also has X with soft awful coverage to give up 7...Sorry I just dont buy it.

Come out in the first half and do nothing but cookie cutter pass plays while we were still up...

Not that I am complaining. If this is what they are actually doing, I love it.

the game against the Redskins the decision to go for 2 was an interesting one. Was it, Hey, we haven’;t won a game, let’s go for the win? or was it, a tank Move?

Otherwise, in this game, the 8 man blitz before the half that led to the touchdown was an arguable call, similar to the one above. However, that alone isn’t what made us lose. Other than that call, the things that made us lose were:

1. Howard out in second half, no one could cover shooster
2. Pass hits O’leary in the chest, turnover with good field position.
3. Questionable spot and 1st down loss on 4th by overturning the call on the field without any clear evidence.

There were some other turnovers, but all of those things couldn’t have been planned, so I don’t think they are trying to lose in the second half, in fact I’m quite certain Flores does not want the ignomy of going 0 and 16. You can see his passion, that man is trying to win. IMHO...

I think it’s more the teams lack of talent shows up the longer the game goes.

But it’s all part of the plan.

Yep, the scheme is great, but when you are in a position with only a few guys who should be NFL pro on the field, they are going to get exposed.

The second half is the most telling as the more these players play, the more we have to use some of the depth on the team. Many of our starters are not NFL caliber...the depth is even worse.

The coaches and GM are the ones tanking. They are constantly changing the roster and starting lineup pregame and making horrible play calls on purpose to effect the game.

The most obvious of these play calls were the 2 point conversion to end the game in Washington and this 3rd and 20 all out blitz with the secondary playing zone close to the line of scrimmage on an obvious passing down against the Steelers where Flores took a timeout right before the play.

We are either obviously tanking or obviously have a horrible coaching staff.

Last edited:
Those who think the coaching staff is “in on the tank” are in for some serious disappointment next season, even if we get Tua.

I like the intensity Flores has and the discipline he’s trying to bring, but the X’s and O’s And game management are a major concern

Those who think the coaching staff is “in on the tank” are in for some serious disappointment next season, even if we get Tua.

I like the intensity Flores has and the discipline he’s trying to bring, but the X’s and O’s And game management are a major concern

Intensity? That becasue he stares?

It’s not us it’s them.

teams are playing vanilla in the first half to see what they can Get away with.

They turn it up a notch or 2 In the second half bc they don’t want to lose.

It is a major concern. The coaches are not purposely tanking in the 2nd half. We will find out the hard way next year if they’re still here.

They are pretty convinced of the tank at ESPN. They talk about the play before halftime around the 2 minute mark.

They are pretty convinced of the tank at ESPN. They talk about the play before halftime around the 2 minute mark.

There was a section in the old Tuesday Morning QB piece done each week that discussed blitzing and getting beat. They would have multiple examples of coaches blitzing and costing the team points and the game. It happens, coaches make bad calls and it backfires. I'm sure there are a number of examples of blown coverages each week in the NFL. Talking heads will talk.

Last edited:
Not in my opinion. What's happening is that teams are just working out how to best exploit our massive talent holes we have. The first half of games, we have been surprising a few teams who've taken us a little too lightly with some good scheming and an intensity to our play. At half time, these teams have realized that this is not a pre-season game and they will be embarrassed if they don't step up the effort level, they've found ways to attack us. We are basically trying to get through games on effort with very little talent, that's very difficult to sustain for a full game.

this staff is not tanking anymore. they are trying to win. they're just that bad. 0-16 was in the bag with rosen. they went back to fitz because ross told them they better win atleast 1 game.

I would agree with the guys on ESPN that anyone thinking the coachs are not involved are outright delusional. Sure our players suck and teams will exploit it but the coaching staff completely changes the game plan and stops calling all the plays that were working in the 2nd half. And the offense looked like an Adam Gase offense with how predictable it was...

****. For Flores to have this team in the last three games is a miracle. He's starting to cover spreads which is a good thing. He's beating vegas expectations of what this team really is. A dumpster fire. 3-0 ATS the past three weeks. I like Flores. I think we got a decent HC. Lets see how we finish (Hopefully 0-16).

We have been playing well in the first halves of games since the Cowboy game. He's either has good game plans or the opponents are not showing everything. Maybe a little of both. Second half of games, Im not sure whats going on. Maybe a little gamesmanship by Flores on the tank job. Maybe the lack of talent. Either way hes kept this team fighting. I cant believe this team hasnt quit yet. Good leader.

I think it’s more the teams lack of talent shows up the longer the game goes.

But it’s all part of the plan.

Yup, the lack of talent gets exploited and any ‘game plan initially’ that may catch a team a little in the beginning is negated.

Back
Top Bottom