Armando: players take on Tua | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando: players take on Tua

I wanted Herbert over Tua, but I'm not giving up on Tua. He never was a prospect with great phsyical traits. He was always a good decision maker and accurate passer, but also a small guy without elite run skills, without a strong arm, and without a lot of confidence in his durability. At Alabama, those WR's are dominant, and the OL is dominant, and they always have a good RB, and the defense shuts people down. So, throwing from a messy pocket like QB's are required to do in the NFL is hard, and hitting guys in "NFL open" windows (1 foot) is a lot harder than hitting guys in an "Alabama open" window (10 yards). Tua can do it, but it will take some adjusting. Also, many of those NFL windows are based on timing, so the QB needs to throw with anticipation, whereas at Alabama, you just wait until your WR runs clear by his man and throw to him after he's wide open. Tua needs to learn the timing skills and how to throw guys open. He needs to work on his velocity because he can't throw those intermediate throws over the middle too slowly because NFL DB's react FAST.

It's a learning curve. But the good news is that I think Tua was not at peak health at all this year. Next year though, he should be able to torque his hips more and bring maximum power from his base through his hips and arms to throw with better velocity. He's never going to be a big guy, elite runner, or big-time arm talent, but if he can up his velocity a bit, Tua can be an accurate guy. Next year we'll see just how good Tua can become.

If you watched Tua in college and didn't see timing and anticipation that he threw with then I really just don't see you as a valuable voice in picking boxed macaroni much less anything to do with the game of football.

Oh brother, this is going to be a long offseason and a continuing debate. Of all people, Mike Tannenbaum's stench will live on in Dolphinsville. He was all over Herbert as a prospect.
Imagine if Ross stuck his nose in the decision making process; and it turns out to be a Goddamn disaster. If true, he needs to sell the team and get lost.

As for Tua, there was some good, but there was a lot of bad too. Got to hope he makes the jump from his rookie season to improve on his abilities. If Gailey held back the playbook it sure didn't help Tua. Lets hope he can develop into the talented QB many still believe he is.

The Dolphins had no chance against the Bills with or without Fitz. The Bills offense did whatever they wanted to do against the Dolphins defense and the last time I checked, Fitzpatrick doesn’t play defense. Blaming the loss to the Bills on Tua is nonsense. There wasn’t a single player on the Dolphins who played well in the loss to the Bills and Marino in his prime would have still seen the Bills easily win that game.

that is correct. We tried to run that same bs offense in the first half at least. While playing to our defense which got torched.

the scheme over talent stuff on d can only take you so far before it catches up with you. And it did. It was catching up prior to that game even. Matter of time.

I don’t think Miami pulled any play call duties either from the oc or any of that fabricated crap being floated we just stopped trying to live primarily in the flats and the defense was playing coverages due to the scoreboard that gave us more passing opportunities down the field etc. it was maddening to watch how little tempo we went to too but maybe they don’t feel tua is ready for it.

kinda waived a white flag basically for all intent and purposes.

the qb wasn’t elevating the ask either which didn’t help.

exactly.. our skill postitions were the WORST in the league.. tell me ONE team that you wouldn't trade their skill players for ours..

there’s other teams that are as bad as your but have better schemes and design better ways to get guys off coverage.

Miami works in by and large outside of some pivot routes underneath all speed cut skill guys and route combos. That is gonna be even harder to get separation at the top of routes but it’s also what by and large your skill guys bring you.

Bowden gives you a little more but that’s slot stuff and if you gonna run your pass o through him teams don’t care. Take it they say. We will rally and meet the ball like a stampede after the catch. He ran thru 3 guys contact for a first down ok show me how many times he can do it they say. And they aren’t wrong. It’s a going nowhere route

...just amazing to me how folks blame EVERYTHING and EVERYONE else for Tua's obvious shortcomings (size, athleticism, arm) and underwhelming performance. He just needs everything else to be perfect then he'll be pretty good until things break down a bit an he'll be exposed. Mighty tall task to compensate for so many limitations... And the references to Brady etc. are really laughable on a number of levels -- including the basic fact the QB position is NOW more about the "athlete" than some pocket passer sitting duck.

Last edited:
...just amazing to me how folks blame EVERYTHING and EVERYONE else for Tua's glaringly obvious shortcomings and
underwhelming performance. He just needs everything else to be perfect then he'll be pretty good until things break
down a bit an he'll be exposed. Mighty tall task to compensate for so many limitations... And the references to Brady
etc. are really laughable on a number of levels -- including the basic fact the QB position is NOW more about the
"athlete" than some pocket passer sitting duck.
Care to remind me who the MVP favorite is this season?

Armando is not making it up. If he gave names the players wouldnt talk, because of fear of getting cut.
Whats the big surprise anyways? Who didnt feel the Ds had no chance against Buffalo without Fitz.
If everyone is to compete why not Tua?

The writing is on the wall.

Please tell us what the writing says. Because you don’t have any idea about that.

But yes, there’s something to this.

The problem is perception. People see Fitz as a bottom of the league type QB but he isnt. He is a top 15 starter -14th in Any/a this year. His 6.85 Any/a was the best dolphin performance since Pennington in 2008 and you would have to go back to Marino in 87 to find the next best year to beat that. So people think Tua should look better than he does because they think Fitz is “garbage”.
I think Grier and Flores will look back and see what a lost opportunity this was by playing Tua.

In Pennington lone year, Miami played a bottom 5 SOS. In 08, Pennington had 1 win against a +.500 team and ended the playoffs throwing 5 picks.

Miami also came to depend on a gimmick offense to score points and move the ball.

What a great example. You need more of those.

Last edited:
...just amazing to me how folks blame EVERYTHING and EVERYONE else for Tua's glaringly obvious shortcomings and
underwhelming performance. He just needs everything else to be perfect then he'll be pretty good until things break
down a bit an he'll be exposed. Mighty tall task to compensate for so many limitations... And the references to Brady
etc. are really laughable on a number of levels -- including the basic fact the QB position is NOW more about the
"athlete" than some pocket passer sitting duck.

Its not an either or proposition. Its not that everyone is to blame, its that Tua is NOT Brady, or Marino, Mahomes, etc., and therefore cannot elevate very pedestrian skill players to a level required to achieve championship levels. Will he later? Who knows; but the reality is that he was a rookie coming off of a major injury working with a sub-average OC and working with barely-NFL-level wide receiver and running back corps. What did you expect?

So which one of the worst skill unit in the NFL is pointing fingers?
I'd bet a large sum of money one of them is Parker. He dropped 400 yards this season because he didn't have Fitz chucking the ball up to him constantly the entire season and he's the only real holdover that was still playing from last season who wasn't completely terrible therefore nullifying their ability to even have an opinion in the first place.

Can someone tell me whether Tom Brady has either elite ball velocity, arm strength, or the ability to make off-schedule plays with his legs?

Simple question.
This👆 Imagine how awful he would look if his line ever gave up pressure especially up the middle.

I'd bet a large sum of money one of them is Parker. He dropped 400 yards this season because he didn't have Fitz chucking the ball up to him constantly the entire season and he's the only real holdover that was still playing from last season who wasn't completely terrible therefore nullifying their ability to even have an opinion in the first place.
I think this makes sense, but Parker has usually been a good solid team guy, so it seems out of character for him.

i hope it was jakeem grant. Cut his ass

Back
Top Bottom