ARMANDO SALGUERO Fins not interested in Watson | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ARMANDO SALGUERO Fins not interested in Watson

I'm ok either way, leave it up to the org to do the right thing. That being said, interest or no interest this time of year is suspect

What if KC called and said, "Give me Tua and 4 1st round picks and I'll give you Mahomes"?

The idea of what is "too expensive" is just completely silly to me.

that’s exactly what I’d say. Show me the teams in the last 20 years that have won the Superbowl after paying their qb. The teams that have were when top dollar qbs were a third of what they are now. The template had been pretty clear on how to win in the league as the Patriots dominated for 20 years build through the draft and continues to obtain as many picks as possible. Building a team on a rookie qb contract has proven time and time again far superior to paying an elite talent tons of money at qb yet there’s always has to be someone that wants to do the exact opposite of what is clear works.

that’s exactly what I’d say. Show me the teams in the last 20 years that have won the Superbowl after paying their qb. The teams that have were when top dollar qbs were a third of what they are now. The template had been pretty clear on how to win in the league as the Patriots dominated for 20 years build through the draft and continues to obtain as many picks as possible. Building a team on a rookie qb contract has proven time and time again far superior to paying an elite talent tons of money at qb yet there’s always has to be someone that wants to do the exact opposite of what is clear works.
The Patriots won all those Super Bowls off a rookie QB contract?

Wow, ya learn something new every day!

The Patriots won all those Super Bowls off a rookie QB contract?

Wow, ya learn something new every day!

three off Brady’s rookie contract and the other three he was making half of what elite qbs were making because he knew that those contracts destroy a team but so yeah..... this continues to prove my point.

you also have the Steelers first Super Bowl with Big Ben, Wilson’s with the seahawks, Mahomes with the chiefs, Eli with the giants in his first but even his second he wasn’t making much. Eagles with Wentz even though he didn’t really play and it was foles, that rookie contract allowed a far better team.

three off Brady’s rookie contract and the other three he was making half of what elite qbs were making because he knew that those contracts destroy a team but so yeah..... this continues to prove my point.

you also have the Steelers first Super Bowl with Big Ben, Wilson’s with the seahawks, Mahomes with the chiefs, Eli with the giants in his first but even his second he wasn’t making much. Eagles with Wentz even though he didn’t really play and it was filed, that rookie contract allowed a far better team.
So all we need to do is never resign QBs no matter how good they are OR find a QB who has a wife that makes more than him allowing him to game the system.

Got it.

Tua played many games missing multiple starting WR/TE's and a young OL that was not QB friendly. Yet he has been incessantly criticized. C'mon people. We will use our many draft picks to support him. Be a true fan- support the team and Tua.
Being a "true fan" doesn't mean you have to blindly support every decision, no matter how bad, and love every player like they are perennial all pros.

It doesn't mean that if you have criticisms, you cant be a true fan either.

Ridiculous.......

Barry Jackson is awesome, and when he says something I believe him. No reporter is 100% right, because they're lied to by the organization fairly often. But, Jackson has managed to be clear to the team that he's not interested in a scoop that is a red-herring. He wants information that is accurate, so the team tends not to use him to leak disinformation. For that, I am very happy to hear any news from Barry Jackson, because it has a better chance of being accurate.

The team has said Tua is our guy. I love that Grier said this not Coach Flo, because it allows Coach Flo to maintain his stance that he plays the best players ... most of the time. That helps keep the locker room vested in Coach Flo's approach and believing in their Coach. But, Grier can say whatever he wants, and his messages are often disinformation--as they should be because he has no locker room to manage. Grier's messages are the Dolphins' poker face in the high-stakes game of draft capital management. We want teams to think we might draft a QB ... so when Grier says Tua is our starter .... Tua and the team take it as a public vote of confidence, and other teams simply ask why Grier (disinformation?) says it and Coach Flo remains cryptically non-committal. That is the perfect combo for the Dolphins.

So, when Barry Jackson says we believe in Tua--I believe Barry. When he reports that we're not interested in Watson--I believe him. If we were to replace Tua with another QB ... I doubt it would be one who will command a mamoth salary and who has already made waves by publicly displaying lack of respect for his team's ownership and administration. Yes, many owners are jerks and idiots ... but Ross surely knows he is part of that idiot owner category, and the last thing he wants is his billion dollar toy humiliating him publicly and re-branding the franchise as dysfunctional. So, someone like Tua who is always respectful is imminently preferable to someone who is going to make the owner look terrible. Again, Ross can't help but be clueless about football; but he can help giving a platform and megaphone to someone who will point it out. So, I doubt the Dolphins are interested in Watson. While the Dolphins are very much OUR TEAM ... at the end of the day, we're just adopting ROSS' TEAM.

From Grier's standpoint, if he can upgrade the QB position--the most important position in all of sports--he will. But in this instance, his hands are likely tied. Even if they weren't, that's a career-ending decision if it doesn't work out ... and Grier is doing great things right now, so why would he throw it all away for a gamble on a disgruntled player when he is poised to cement himself as a great GM with one more draft full of high picks? (4 picks in the top 50).

What Jackson said makes sense. The Madden mentality of wheeling and dealing players without consequences is not the reality of the NFL. In the unlikely event we decide to move on from Tua, we would draft his replacement, not trade for him.

A little harsh in some areas particularly surrounding the owner. But, overall, this is a point you've made before that i agree with. We'll see if there's anything to the Watson stuff. Additionally, Dolphins own it to the organization to explore that option and see what's there.

So all we need to do is never resign QBs no matter how good they are OR find a QB who has a wife that makes more than him allowing him to game the system.

Got it.

No the correct formula is a cheap young qb with talent who has the ability to game manage which is Tua in every sense of the form. He has to improve and make those 2-3 plays game managers need to make. We also need to provide a better team.

sicne you’re such a brilliant gm and just want to trade everything for Watson or an elite qb let me ask you this, if it fails now what? What’s the backup plan? You now have no picks or cap to fix anything, you’ve now set the franchise back 5+ years since you’ve given away every 1st and 2nd we have. Essentially you are blowing up the defense and starting from scratch. Compare that to keeping Tua, I mean worse case is he doesn’t improve but now from trading back and having multiple picks we can continue to draft a qb while keeping key players in tack. Your idiotic trade everything for the farm approach sounds great in your head if he can carry a team on his back but let me ask you what if he doesn’t? Without those picks and cap I don’t see how we are any better than Houston. Better coached sure but talent wise that Houston offense blows Miami’s out of the water yet the great Watson won 3 games.

Got it.
Lets put the comp required for Watson at 3x 1st + Tua for conversation sake.

situation 1:
QB on rookie contract
LT on rookie contract
+ 3 other 1st round picks on rookie contracts

situation 2:
QB on big contract
LT on rookie
no other 1st round picks on rookie contracts

Clearly, situation 1 is more desirable for building a solid overall team... no?

Instead of saying “let’s trade Tua, our two firsts this year” and whatever else may be included - name what you think those picks could be, because that’s what it really is.
When you say “let trade Tua, Jamarr Chase, Devonta Smith, and/or Najee Harris etc...” (just naming people I would draft) - it sounds a whole hell of a lot different. That’s who you’d be trading.
Personally I hope the fins stick with the person 90% of us were thrilled about last April and draft some weapons with the amazing capital we have. Just my opinion

This is probably a better perspective to put this whole trade in. Something with names. Because if they traded all their draft assets this offense would look the same with only Watson and Tua swapping places and that’s no bueno. Then this team would look like idiots after looking like geniuses with the previous trades to even have this discussion.
Instead of saying “let’s trade Tua, our two firsts this year” and whatever else may be included - name what you think those picks could be, because that’s what it really is.
When you say “let trade Tua, Jamarr Chase, Devonta Smith, and/or Najee Harris etc...” (just naming people I would draft) - it sounds a whole hell of a lot different. That’s who you’d be trading.
Personally I hope the fins stick with the person 90% of us were thrilled about last April and draft some weapons with the amazing capital we have. Just my opinion

Back
Top Bottom