ARMANDO SALGUERO Fins not interested in Watson | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ARMANDO SALGUERO Fins not interested in Watson

No the correct formula is a cheap young qb with talent who has the ability to game manage which is Tua in every sense of the form. He has to improve and make those 2-3 plays game managers need to make. We also need to provide a better team.

sicne you’re such a brilliant gm and just want to trade everything for Watson or an elite qb let me ask you this, if it fails now what? What’s the backup plan? You now have no picks or cap to fix anything, you’ve now set the franchise back 5+ years since you’ve given away every 1st and 2nd we have. Essentially you are blowing up the defense and starting from scratch. Compare that to keeping Tua, I mean worse case is he doesn’t improve but now from trading back and having multiple picks we can continue to draft a qb while keeping key players in tack. Your idiotic trade everything for the farm approach sounds great in your head if he can carry a team on his back but let me ask you what if he doesn’t? Without those picks and cap I don’t see how we are any better than Houston. Better coached sure but talent wise that Houston offense blows Miami’s out of the water yet the great Watson won 3 games.

Let me ask you a question.

Which is more of a reason for Houston being 4-12 since we're now having a financial discussion by using Houston as a barometer:

1) Watson at $9.8 million who threw for 4,800 yards at a 70% clip with 33/7 and lead the league in multiple categories OR...
2) JJ Watt making $15.5 million who had 5 sacks.

I'm not getting into a serious debate with someone who is using 2020's cap numbers to **** on Watson and the number of games they've won.

Lets put the comp required for Watson at 3x 1st + Tua for conversation sake.

situation 1:
QB on rookie contract
LT on rookie contract
+ 3 other 1st round picks on rookie contracts

situation 2:
QB on big contract
LT on rookie
no other 1st round picks on rookie contracts

Clearly, situation 1 is more desirable for building a solid overall team... no?
Not the discussion we're having because QB1 != QB2 in terms of equal value.

If you're willing to trade everything for Watson just take a Qb at #3 or try to trade up to #1

Dolphins franchise must try at leased to get Watson.. NFL season ain't even over yet.. they cant do anything until March or April any way..if they talk to watson..they can used lose draft pick..I think.

This might be looked back upon as a lot worse than Culpepper > Brees

No. It just means for 4 years the caliber of talent will be limited and youth and development will take a back seat to FA acquisitions and oft injured players.

We've seen this movie before.
No. What it means in real life as opposed to mock draft fantasy is that only 2 (half) of those 1st round picks are really going to work out.

In this fantasy scenario of trading Tua and 4 1st round picks for Mahomes the trade is this:

Tua
Austin Jackson
Christian Wilkins
Charles Harris
Laremy Tunsil

for

Patrick Mahomes

For funzies, let's throw 3 more 1st round picks to the Chiefs...
Devonte Parker
Ju'Wuan James
Dion Jordan

If you're looking at that list and thinking to yourself "holy crap, we'd be totally way better without Mahomes", then whatever, you do you. I disagree.

What if KC called and said, "Give me Tua and 4 1st round picks and I'll give you Mahomes"?

The idea of what is "too expensive" is just completely silly to me.
I would still say no. Four first round picks are ridiculous. Do you forget that Mahomes plays for Andy Ried? He coached Donovan McNabb's bum ass to a Super Bowl. Or did you forget that he is throwing to an arsenal of weapons that the Dolphins do not and would not have if they trade 4 1st round picks.

I don't see the Dolphin's as a player for Watson. He's the biggest distraction in the NFL right now and we don't need that kind of stuff here. We have our QB and now we're going to build around him in FA and then the draft. We've worked hard to get all this extra draft capital. Let's use it to get a strong infusion of exciting talent on our roster. I believe we will end up with Smith and Najee Harris and nothing would make me happier. Later in the draft we'll bring in another powerful oline piece and another receiver or two. We could probably draft a DT, LBer and maybe a Center.

You arrogance is showing again RobertHorry.

You are pounding the table for Deshaun with the same vigor as when you pounded the table for Cleo Lemon. Fail

Yep. All arrogance like you said. Thats nice you can point out one bad player in 15 years. I've actually liked more that ended up sucking. Here I will help you -

Chad Henne
Davone Bess
Chris Clemons

Let me know if you want me to list more, happy to do so.

Any talk of Miami being interested in options at quarterback is draft smoke, let us do our thing, BARRY.

If they really do want Watson this is the right first move. Make them sweat and panic.

Yep. All arrogance like you said. Thats nice you can point out one bad player in 15 years. I've actually liked more that ended up sucking. Here I will help you -

Chad Henne
Davone Bess
Chris Clemons

Let me know if you want me to list more, happy to do so.

He got you, time to give up Rob.

It's going to be very interesting what happens with X.Howard this offseason. BTW, The B.Jones contract is trash! As i said in the Madison/Surtain vs. Jones/Howard thread B.Jones couldn't carry Madison/Surtain jock strap. He's not a bad CB but he's not close to being worth the money he's being paid.

X and Jones already make up a significant portion of the teams salary cap and are already the highest paid 2nd in the entire NFL. Now with X, reportedly, wanting to be paid more than Jones(Which makes since considering this season) that would make them the highest paid by a few more million.

Point being something has to give at this stage.

Don't ignore the possibility of the team looking into serious trade potential for X.
If we could recoup about half of the draft capital for Watson by trading either X or Jones that would make the decision even easier.

I don't see the Dolphin's as a player for Watson. He's the biggest distraction in the NFL right now and we don't need that kind of stuff here. We have our QB and now we're going to build around him in FA and then the draft. We've worked hard to get all this extra draft capital. Let's use it to get a strong infusion of exciting talent on our roster. I believe we will end up with Smith and Najee Harris and nothing would make me happier. Later in the draft we'll bring in another powerful oline piece and another receiver or two. We could probably draft a DT, LBer and maybe a Center.
I agree this should be the thinking we project -- we love our current situation. But how many teams would Watson really want to go to? Consider 1) leadership diversity 2) up-and-coming, winning team that needs a top QB : not that many options. As long as we show we love our current situation, this would drive the price down even further. We don't need to do anything, but Houston might. Price could come down a lot.

Personally, I would love to find a way to keep pick #3, send Tua + #18 + a #2 and future 1st. Beauty of Watson is we know he does not need an elite WR or elite LT to put up huge #s, meaning we should def trade down from #3 and recoup a 1st that way. If you need to trade #3, you can trade X or Jones and get a #1 back.

A little harsh in some areas particularly surrounding the owner. But, overall, this is a point you've made before that i agree with. We'll see if there's anything to the Watson stuff. Additionally, Dolphins own it to the organization to explore that option and see what's there.
Well I like Ross as an owner, because he tends to stay out of things and let the football people make the decisions, unlike Washington or Dallas or some other franchises. Ross pays the bills and supports his administration in what they want to do, including free agents, sports medicine, analytics ... training facilities .... everything. But, he doesn't know football, and the less he talks about it the better.

Players can be jerks, prima donnas, bad citizens, etc., etc., etc. But, we need to also acknowledge that the front office is cold and looking out only for the team, not the player. Likewise, Owners are not inherently great people either. They're greedy, ruthless, and while they sometimes do good things for long-term players etc., but at the end of the day, they're human too, and they have their flaws--as we all do. Players get all the spotlight, but the Coaching Staff is usually at least as important. QB's get too much praise and too much blame, but it takes 11 players ... in each facet of the game ... plus a coaching staff ... plus an admin/support staff ... plus an owner who let's those people do their jobs. I appreciate Ross ... but like the rest of us, he's not perfect either.

Back
Top Bottom